Sabres hire data scientist: Domenic Galamini Jr

LGR4GM

"Galamini's role will be to quantify, evaluate and project the performance and abilities of players and teams"

Letting him off with an easy workload, I see lol

- - - 

Cool to see. 

Edit - This is getting raves reviews in the twittersphere from the analytics gurus, btw. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3

• LGR4GM changed the title to Sabres hire data scientist: Domenic Galamini Jr
3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The Sabres have gone from having the worse analytics department in the league to one of the Top 5, arguably the Top 3 in a matter of four months 

And they still have to hire a data engineer although that person we probably won't know as well as some of the others. 

Not sure how this could not be considered good news.

Sorry for repeating myself, but I think the Sabres are still wearing the “cheap” badge after the scouting department bloodletting of Adams 1st day.

Let the record show that the Sabres have live scouts in all major development leagues again, and that a large portion of their scouting budget cuts has been reallocated to their analytics and player development departments.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Good news.  Sabres going all in on analytics 

They really do seem to have made a conscious effort to hire top notch analytics people.

However, I would push back against the idea that they plan on building a team based mostly off of analytics (not that you actually said that, though your statement could be interpreted that way).  It seems like it is/will be just one of several areas of focus.  The GM and HC have spoken repeatedly about getting the right people, team chemistry, hard work, and other such unquantifiable concepts.

I feel like they will build with a wide range of factors in mind, not “all in on analytics”.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Curt said:

They really do seem to have made a conscious effort to hire top notch analytics people.

However, I would push back against the idea that they plan on building a team based mostly off of analytics (not that you actually said that, though your statement could be interpreted that way).  It seems like it is/will be just one of several areas of focus.  The GM and HC have spoken repeatedly about getting the right people, team chemistry, hard work, and other such unquantifiable concepts.

I feel like they will build with a wide range of factors in mind, not “all in on analytics”.

Analytics will drive the list of players to be looked at and player mentality will get them an offer. 

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

If the analytics aren't there, I don't care how hard a player works. 

Likewise a player with good numbers who doesn't work hard I'm not interested in. 

Also, analytics help you start to identify hard workers. 

1 minute ago, woods-racer said:

Analytics will drive the list of players to be looked at and player mentality will get them an offer. 

Yup. 

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If the analytics aren't there, I don't care how hard a player works. 

Likewise a player with good numbers who doesn't work hard I'm not interested in. 

Also, analytics help you start to identify hard workers. 

Yup. 

I’m starting to back away from someone’s previous analytics telling the full story about their play. I think Granato has showed so far that maybe the book isn’t always written correctly on every player.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

I’m starting to back away from someone’s previous analytics telling the full story about their play. I think Granato has showed so far that maybe the book isn’t always written correctly on every player.

Maybe Donnie G needs to be deeply analized.

Edited by The Ghost of NS

Random thought, but I wonder if anyone has modeled the analytical mix of players on various teams that go late into the playoffs?  I mean sure you want the best statistical top line when it comes to scoring, but what should you be looking for on your 3rd and 4th lines?  Do the conventional stats even apply to them or should you be looking for different traits?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.