UPL gives up 3 goals on 12 shots in 1st period. Amerks

Nozlen

1 hour ago, Nozlen said:

I mean seriously I am already tired of your crap and adding you to the ignore list. UPL is allegedly one of our top prospects you don't like my posts don't freaking read them because I sure as heck won't read anymore of yours.

Your self imposed exile can’t happen soon enough.  🤞

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Why does this need a thread?  We don’t need knee jerk, man baby temper tantrum threads.

Ppl who crap on others for starting threads they don't like is one of the worst things on this board. If you don't like a thread don't post in it. 

Upl hasn't been good at a level about juniors. It's very thread worthy. Devon Levi wasn't just added to the Reinhart deal for poops and giggles. Levi and Portillo currently should be viewed as better prospects unless upl turns around a bad ahl showing going back to last year. 

Edited by LGR4GM
Spelling
  • Like (+1) 3

58 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Ppl who crap on others for starting threads they don't like is one of the worst things on this board. If you don't like a thread don't post in it. 

Upl hasn't been good at a level about juniors. It's very thread worthy. Devon Levi wasn't just added to the Reinhart deal for poops and giggles. Levi and Portillo currently should be viewed as better prospects unless upl turns around a bad ahl showing going back to last year. 

People who crap on people for commenting on a message board has to be up there too.

God forbid UPL gives up a goal next game or you guys will mutiny. Give it some time before completely writing off a young goalie.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

God forbid UPL gives up a goal next game or you guys will mutiny. Give it some time before completely writing off a young goalie.

Remember, he has two poor seasons in Roch plus a very bad training camp this year in Buffalo. The OP probably hit their breaking point, especially if they're a big Amerks fan.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

People who crap on people for commenting on a message board has to be up there too.

He’s been bad for the entirety of his professional career. No, he’s not 28 years old, but he’s shown absolutely nothing in Rochester and he’s been a liability almost every time he’s been on the ice.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

This has that "I know you are but what am I?!" energy. 

I won't mutiny. I already think Portillo and Levi are better. The reason you reacted the way you did is because for several years UPL has been built up as the next GT and we desperate need it so finding out that probably won't be the case is causing you discomfort and to rectify that you are attacking the messenger as overreacting. UPL has a long way to go to be a reliable AHL goalie. If he gets there we can talk about the NHL. This is certainly thread worthy. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

This has that "I know you are but what am I?!" energy. 

I won't mutiny. I already think Portillo and Levi are better. The reason you reacted the way you did is because for several years UPL has been built up as the next GT and we desperate need it so finding out that probably won't be the case is causing you discomfort and to rectify that you are attacking the messenger as overreacting. UPL has a long way to go to be a reliable AHL goalie. If he gets there we can talk about the NHL. This is certainly thread worthy. 

I was just about to post something similar. UPL is a victim of his own early success. Pile on mouse potato GMs anointing him the next one along with the constant bombardment of social media updates telling us how great he’s gonna be and voila, we end up where we are today. The same thing happened with Dahlin and Mittlestadt.  Information, in the wrong people’s hands, is a dangerous thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

Weren’t a lot of fans saying somethings similar about Ullmark when Ullmark was UPL’s age?

maybe I’m remembering wrong… That could very well be true… But for some reason I remember a lot of people being down on Ullmark early in his Amerks days.

and I’m certainly not saying Ullmark developed into an amazing goaltender… but he is in the NHL making millions.

56 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Weren’t a lot of fans saying somethings similar about Ullmark when Ullmark was UPL’s age?

maybe I’m remembering wrong… That could very well be true… But for some reason I remember a lot of people being down on Ullmark early in his Amerks days.

and I’m certainly not saying Ullmark developed into an amazing goaltender… but he is in the NHL making millions.

No. Ullmark was a far better goalie in the AHL compared to UPL. Ullmark was good pretty much from the drop of the puck. He had some minor issues like letting in soft goals, but he made a lot of saves. He never had a save percentage below .900 and it improved each season. 

UPL, on the other hand, has been truly awful since he turned pro, with the ECHL as the exception. He looks bad, let’s in bad goals in bunches, and his numbers are ghastly. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Amerks8796 said:

No. Ullmark was a far better goalie in the AHL compared to UPL. Ullmark was good pretty much from the drop of the puck. He had some minor issues like letting in soft goals, but he made a lot of saves. He never had a save percentage below .900 and it improved each season. 

UPL, on the other hand, has been truly awful since he turned pro, with the ECHL as the exception. He looks bad, let’s in bad goals in bunches, and his numbers are ghastly. 

Ok. I don’t know… After looking at Ullmark’s stats… At a young age of 23 and under … I don’t find them overly impressive either. In fact… In my opinion they are rather pedestrian. Mostly.  Not entirely.
And I am talking strictly before he became a full-time NHLer. 

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=152794

UPL could certainly turn out to be a bust. I am not contending that at all. but I also think that in “goalie years” he still has some time to develop into something more. Just like Ullmark did.

UPL 22

Ullmark 28

Wondering how much the hip surgeries have affected his game.  

He played well in Cincy after that, but there aren't exactly a lot of future NHLers toiling there.  He hasn't been good elsewhere since the surgeries.  IF he's still recovering, there's hope.  But haven't seen anything in his game that screams anything but AHL backup.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Wondering how much the hip surgeries have affected his game.  

He played well in Cincy after that, but there aren't exactly a lot of future NHLers toiling there.  He hasn't been good elsewhere since the surgeries.  IF he's still recovering, there's hope.  But haven't seen anything in his game that screams anything but AHL backup.

He’s not even an AHL backup. His career AHL save percentage is .881. The worst qualified goalie in the AHL in 2019-2020 was at .898. He’s been that bad. 

Just now, Amerks8796 said:

He’s not even an AHL backup. His career AHL save percentage is .881. The worst qualified goalie in the AHL in 2019-2020 was at .898. He’s been that bad. 

Was talking about his ceiling, not where he's at presently.  Sorry that wasn't clearer.

On 10/17/2021 at 9:50 PM, JoeSchmoe said:

UPL has been underdelivering pretty much since he turned pro. A lot of us were hoping this would be the year to show progress.

Between what we saw in training camp, and now his first AHL game, it appears he hasn't taken any steps forward, and may have actually regressed.

Given all the promise he showed in Sudbury and in the WJC, i think that under the circumstances it's natural for some people to want to vent their disappointment. Thankfully Levi and Portillo are still in the system.

So when do the Amerk fans start the "WE WANT HOUSER!" chants?!

For those of us hoping this would be the YEAR, thank God it’s only the 1st game. 

He is still pretty young for a goalie prospect, so nothing is cemented yet, but he has been trending down the past couple years.  At this point, I don’t think he should be considered the Sabres top goalie prospect.  You know, goalie prospects, that’s why you want 3, not 1.

I would like to see his play broken down from a goalie coach's perspective.  He has some flaws right now but are they addressable with good coaching and development?  The last game that I watched him play for the Sabres I was surprised by how much of the upper net he was giving away for a big goalie.  He was covering the ice pretty well but he was leaning forward so much during the play.  It just seemed off from the way I have seen other big goalies play.  At least in Rochester he may be able to get some help from the Sabres goalie coach (Mike Bales) a bit.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.