UPL gives up 3 goals on 12 shots in 1st period. Amerks

Nozlen

Goalie prospects are nothingness until they are literally successfully starting in the NHL. That's why it's good we have 3. 

Adding a capable starter so we aren't counting on anything too quickly would also be a helpful pillar in establishing the position 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Goalie prospects are nothingness until they are literally successfully starting in the NHL. That's why it's good we have 3. 

Adding a capable starter so we aren't counting on anything too quickly would also be a helpful pillar in establishing the position 

And why, w/ the extra 1st round pick would like to have seen them draft 1 of the 2 expected studs.  So they'd actually have 3 legit prospects and 1 longshot. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And why, w/ the extra 1st round pick would like to have seen them draft 1 of the 2 expected studs.  So they'd actually have 3 legit prospects and 1 longshot. 

I'm not sure I could spend a first on a goalie prospect, given the bold. Just don't think "expected" carries as much weight when it comes to goalies, as mentioned, as it does other positions. The difference in value you'd get using a second is probably more than made up for by taking a F high, and the difference therein between that guy and a F you'd get in Rd. 2.

Unless it's Peterka-like, or something, I suppose. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Why does this need a thread?  We don’t need knee jerk, man baby temper tantrum threads.

Ok, I'm going to agree with your sentiment....a goalie his age having a bad period (after and up-and-down training camp) is no big deal.  At his age and as a goalie, he can have a bad year in Rochester and still end up being a good goalie. To say he is awful at this point is ridiculous.

At the same point, no matter how much anyone (including myself) disagree with something, that is what message boards are for. To discuss the team and players. to put our opinions out there, etc.  If someone thinks it deserves a thread, let them post it. If it is a boring topic, no one will reply to it and it will go away by itself.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Why does this need a thread?  We don’t need knee jerk, man baby temper tantrum threads.

Why did it need this reply?  We don't need knee jerk, man baby temper tantrum posts.

Seriously, he's our goalie prospect closest to the NHL.  His good and bad performances are worthy of discussion here.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Well this is why I say draft a goalie every year somewhere in the draft (7th rounders can look promising later right?) . Goalies are weird, they have weird development curves, they take two steps forward and then 3 back and then who knows and often they aren't ready for years. UPL might still be okay, he might not, but hopefully this makes them realize these things take time and the idea of playing him this year and rushing him was dumb and dumber. 

Coach him properly, and bring him along slowly and I think he will be fine. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Another LAMP post.  There is a Rochester 21-22 thread for all Amerks discussion.  🤔

I mean seriously I am already tired of your crap and adding you to the ignore list. UPL is allegedly one of our top prospects you don't like my posts don't freaking read them because I sure as heck won't read anymore of yours.

• Haha (+1) 1

A thread about how awful UPL is in the first period of the first game of the season is a little much. It could have been a comment in the Rochester thread.  He helped lead Finland to a gold at the WJCs and was a rockstar for Sudbury in the O. Saying he has never had a good game is a bit ridiculous. 

Young goalies are a crapshoot. If he is struggling by mid season then there might be reason for concern but 2 of the goals were breakaways, it can’t all be pinned on UPL today.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

A thread about how awful UPL is in the first period of the first game of the season is a little much. It could have been a comment in the Rochester thread.  He helped lead Finland to a gold at the WJCs and was a rockstar for Sudbury in the O. Saying he has never had a good game is a bit ridiculous. 

Young goalies are a crapshoot. If he is struggling by mid season then there might be reason for concern but 2 of the goals were breakaways, it can’t all be pinned on UPL today.

About a goalie many consider are best prospect and wanted to play for the Sabres this year but has only looked like a disaster for the past two years, maybe had this been a first time or first 10 times but this guy looks like crap consistently and the breakaways he looked lost and not to mention the opposing goalie faced more breakaways then UPL, and did just fine. 

He may be something, but I have not seen anything that shows he is getting better and this is not a guy who is new to the league either, I sorely hope this guy is not the future of our team. I might add did you see how the other players reacted after the sixth goal, some slamming there sticks, not a good look. 

• Like (+1) 1

UPL seems to be regressing a bit.... which is unusual considering he's had a full offseason to prepare.    

Perhaps the book is out on him.   He looks slow to make high saves, so until he figures that out he's going to struggle.

IIRC, Ryan Miller had trouble picking up point shots through traffic but he worked on it and became and All-Star.

That said, UPL is still a decent prospect they shouldn't give up on.

• Like (+1) 4

UPL has been underdelivering pretty much since he turned pro. A lot of us were hoping this would be the year to show progress.

Between what we saw in training camp, and now his first AHL game, it appears he hasn't taken any steps forward, and may have actually regressed.

Given all the promise he showed in Sudbury and in the WJC, i think that under the circumstances it's natural for some people to want to vent their disappointment. Thankfully Levi and Portillo are still in the system.

So when do the Amerk fans start the "WE WANT HOUSER!" chants?!

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

So when do the Amerk fans start the "WE WANT HOUSER!" chants?!

I personally love Houser, the man gives 110% effort and fights for those saves and wins and you can tell his teammates love that. I would take him over UPL in a heartbeat right now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.