Watching this team reminds me of Las Vegas their first year

matter2003

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I’m holding judgement until I see them play Washington, Boston and the Islanders. If they can play .500 against the really good teams, maybe they make the playoffs. There is still room for this young team to grow, so they might get better as season goes on. Just hope we don’t lose any more defenseman before we get some back. 

It's awesome that you're optimistic, but let's see them go 0.500 vs the 'Nucks, Wild, & BJ's of the league before we expect (hope?) they pull that off against the near elite squads.

Baby steps.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It's awesome that you're optimistic, but let's see them go 0.500 vs the 'Nucks, Wild, & BJ's of the league before we expect (hope?) they pull that off against the near elite squads.

Baby steps.

Well, just saying, they beat the Islanders, Capitals and Pens last season when Coach G took over.  So...

Just now, bob_sauve28 said:

Well, just saying, they beat the Islanders, Capitals and Pens last season when Coach G took over.  So...

They did.  And those wins were almost (not entirely, but almost) entirely in game 2's facing backup goalies after being handily beat in game 1 of the 2 game set.  Yes, Granato gets credit for that, but the opponent not being able to bring their A game against statistically the league's worst team right after winning in a relatively easy game also factors in.  It's hard to always be on, especially if you don't respect your opponent.

It'll be really sweet if your expectation bears out.  But until they show they can beat Vancouver (and they have a legit chance) won't expect to see a win on Friday.  Even if they win on Tuesday, won't EXPECT a win Friday, but will be more hopeful.

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Thorny said:

With due respect, and specifically respect to your point - your main qualifier is "every night", and the Sabres haven't done it every night yet. They've done it 2 nights - to remind me of vegas they'll need to string together a little longer of a streak. I posted their record the last couple opening months and..we've been good to start seasons lately. We've also played two non-strong opponents. This isn't to damper enthusiasm - in fact I think we have to enjoy every win hoping this is who we are now because that leads to the best experience in the moment. But I still think it bears to remember the past - so if we do take a bit of a step back, we aren't altogether shocked. 

You did mention the quality players thing in your OP, and with respect to the main point of your post - I do see that type of style, the types of things you are alluding to. I really think the talent gap card is going to rear it's head soon, and probably often, but maybe not. 

Probably bears to wait and see a bit though 

THEY are gone. This team is not those teams. It seems like an obvious point, but you missed it. That's the beauty of where things stand, if you can be logical and shed the baggage of past seasons. This team might very well do what those others teams did, but it will be almost 100% coincidence.

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

THEY are gone. This team is not those teams. It seems like an obvious point, but you missed it. That's the beauty of where things stand, if you can be logical and shed the baggage of past seasons. This team might very well do what those others teams did, but it will be almost 100% coincidence.

Too big a common denominator for me to say THEY are gone. 

11 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I’m holding judgement until I see them play Washington, Boston and the Islanders. If they can play .500 against the really good teams, maybe they make the playoffs. There is still room for this young team to grow, so they might get better as season goes on. Just hope we don’t lose any more defenseman before we get some back. 

If they play .500 against the good teams, that probably means they are playing .600 against bad teams.  They would almost definitely make the playoffs.  Assuming we are talking about point %.  If we are talking about actual win % they they would be a playoff lock.

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Taro T said:

They did.  And those wins were almost (not entirely, but almost) entirely in game 2's facing backup goalies after being handily beat in game 1 of the 2 game set.  Yes, Granato gets credit for that, but the opponent not being able to bring their A game against statistically the league's worst team right after winning in a relatively easy game also factors in.  It's hard to always be on, especially if you don't respect your opponent.

It'll be really sweet if your expectation bears out.  But until they show they can beat Vancouver (and they have a legit chance) won't expect to see a win on Friday.  Even if they win on Tuesday, won't EXPECT a win Friday, but will be more hopeful.

If they split the next two (.500) I’ll be smiling 😊

• Like (+1) 1

What's promising about this team is that they have an identity.  Speed, puck pressure, relentless, fast break offense.    

You'd have to go back at least 10 years to find a Sabre's team with any identity whatsoever.     

11 hours ago, pi2000 said:

What's promising about this team is that they have an identity.  Speed, puck pressure, relentless, fast break offense.    

You'd have to go back at least 10 years to find a Sabre's team with any identity whatsoever.     

Sabres score seven, defeat Devils in home opener

https://www.nhl.com/news/new-jersey-devils-buffalo-sabres-game-recap/c-309772832

"We wanted to come out and show the fans what it's going to be like this year and the type of product we want to put on the ice, just get them excited for the season," Eichel said. "I think we did a pretty good job of that tonight. It's all about consistency, and we just want to keep doing it every night and make this place a hard place to come in and try to play."

• Thanks (+1) 1

its pretty sad that playing hard for 2 nights is a new thing for sabres fans to see.

for years it felt like generally they didnt go full out, maybe it was just me, but watching the sabres and watching other teams play, the sabres almost always felt like they were mailing it in (except the year that jack had an mvp type season, but even then, it felt like he was the only one)

Edited by miles

2 hours ago, miles said:

its pretty sad that playing hard for 2 nights is a new thing for sabres fans to see.

for years it felt like generally they didnt go full out, maybe it was just me, but watching the sabres and watching other teams play, the sabres almost always felt like they were mailing it in (except the year that jack had an mvp type season, but even then, it felt like he was the only one)

But, and hear me out...it's actually not. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.