Watching this team reminds me of Las Vegas their first year

matter2003

They might not have as many quality players but just the way they play relentlessly and with speed...I remember watching Las Vegas play their first year and kept thinking how they always were harassing the other team almost immediately once they got the puck and swarmed them in the neutral zone, getting constant turnovers...

If they keep playing like this, they are going to be a lot better than people think. They have a lot of speed and if this relentlessness becomes a constant part of their game, that will make up for a lot of talent disparity.

Not a lot of teams are willing to play that way night in night out...they will simply get teams that just don't want to have to deal with that on a given night and basically concede the game to them.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

They might not have as many quality players but just the way they play relentlessly and with speed...I remember watching Las Vegas play their first year and kept thinking how they always were harassing the other team almost immediately once they got the puck and swarmed them in the neutral zone...

If they keep playing like this, they are going to be a lot better than people think. They have a lot of speed and if this relentlessness becomes a constant part of their game, that will make up for a lot of talent disparity.

Not a lot of teams are willing to play that way night in night out...they will simply get teams that just don't want to have to deal with that on a given night and basically concede the game to them.

Huh?  Have you watched other teams in the league play, they're actually quite good and pretty all of them work hard. With most organizations, hard work is a given, not a op-ed proclamation in the local newspaper.

Just now, klos1963 said:

Huh?  Have you watched other teams in the league play, they're actually quite good and pretty all of them work hard. With most organizations, hard work is a given, not a op-ed proclamation in the local newspaper.

I did...and I watched Las Vegas outwork all of them and they stood out head and shoulders above the other teams. 

Teams do work hard...but they don't do it every shift every night. Las Vegas did. And it was noticeable.

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I did...and I watched Las Vegas outwork all of them and they stood out head and shoulders above the other teams. 

Teams do work hard...but they don't do it every shift every night. Las Vegas did. And it was noticeable.

Vegas was a very talented team. That's why they won a lot.

It's good start , obviously, but we took a team that's tanking to a shootout. Let's wait and see, but a good start.

4 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

With due respect, and specifically respect to your point - your main qualifier is "every night", and the Sabres haven't done it every night yet. They've done it 2 nights - to remind me of vegas they'll need to string together a little longer of a streak. I posted their record the last couple opening months and..we've been good to start seasons lately. We've also played two non-strong opponents. This isn't to damper enthusiasm - in fact I think we have to enjoy every win hoping this is who we are now because that leads to the best experience in the moment. But I still think it bears to remember the past - so if we do take a bit of a step back, we aren't altogether shocked. 

You did mention the quality players thing in your OP, and with respect to the main point of your post - I do see that type of style, the types of things you are alluding to. I really think the talent gap card is going to rear it's head soon, and probably often, but maybe not. 

Probably bears to wait and see a bit though 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Vegas was a very talented team. That's why they won a lot.

It's good start , obviously, but we took a team that's tanking to a shootout. Let's wait and see, but a good start.

And we slapped the Stanley Cup finalists...clearly we are not that talented but it just shows what is possible with this style of play on a given night...

17 minutes ago, Thorny said:

With due respect, and specifically respect to your point - your main qualifier is "every night", and the Sabres haven't done it every night yet. They've done it 2 nights - to remind me of vegas they'll need to string together a little longer of a streak. I posted their record the last couple opening months and..we've been good to start seasons lately. We've also played two non-strong opponents. This isn't to damper enthusiasm - in fact I think we have to enjoy every win hoping this is who we are now because that leads to the best experience in the moment. But I still think it bears to remember the past - so if we do take a bit of a step back, we aren't altogether shocked. 

You did mention the quality players thing in your OP, and with respect to the main point of your post - I do see that type of style, the types of things you are alluding to. I really think the talent gap card is going to rear it's head soon, and probably often, but maybe not. 

Probably bears to wait and see a bit though 

You realize Montreal was in the Cup finals last year right?

And you are right...they still need to continue to play like this for a while before it's become the norm, but I get the sense they enjoy playing this style of game and that wasn't always true in the past...

Edited by matter2003

12 minutes ago, Weave said:

We're approaching "concept of" and we're only 2 games in.

Did you read Kyle's letter?  Did you?

7 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I get the sense they enjoy playing this style of game and that wasn't always true in the past when Eichel was playing for the Sabres...

fify

It's too early to get too high or for that matter too low (with early results).  We won today's game in a shootout but were definitely the better team.  I like the play so far in the 2 games and it gives me hope.  If we lose the next two games but still play well I won't lose hope but I'm sure that others will.  Let's see where we are at 20 to 25 games in to see if they can keep it going.  Let's hope so. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, klos1963 said:

It’s not just about working hard.  (You are right most teams work hard almost every night.)  It’s about the pressuring style of play.  It’s physically very hard to play that way every night for 82 games.  It requires effort, yes, but also peak conditioning and generally a fairly even ice time distribution.  A line probably can’t truly play that way if they are out there for 22:00 mins a night.  They would just get too tired.

So it’s not just general hard work, it’s a style of play that both puts a lot of pressure on the opponent and is physically difficult execute.

I do think the Sabres have shown some similarities to early Vegas in style of play.  We will see if they can keep it up.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Miller was outspoken about the Vegas team having a chip on its shoulder. He also wasn’t very happy in Buffalo the last couple of years. He seems happy now. 

I can tolerate watching this version of Miller.

He was pretty awful the last few years.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's pump the repulsorlifts just a little bit. The Sabres played two games against a shell of a team (from what is was 4 months ago) and a team on a 2014-Sabres-level tank effort that got a fantastic goalie performance. This is a limited sample size against some of the worst teams in the league. Vegas was rolling 3 second lines and a viciously heavy 4th line, plus a stacked blue line and MAF in goal. They went to the Stanley Cup Final.

Yes, the Sabres are aggressive (as Vegas was in the inaugural season). So are many teams. Let's enjoy the new direction and the games for a month before making any comparisons to any team.

Remember --- Krueger was 9-2-1 in his first season at one point.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

And we slapped the Stanley Cup finalists...clearly we are not that talented but it just shows what is possible with this style of play on a given night...

You realize Montreal was in the Cup finals last year right?

And you are right...they still need to continue to play like this for a while before it's become the norm, but I get the sense they enjoy playing this style of game and that wasn't always true in the past...

You realize that Moe-ray-all squad snuck into the playoffs (which worked in their favor because they caught the playoff choking Loafs in the 1st round) & they were led by Price in net (out on personal leave), Weber (on BF-LTIR), Danault (playing in California now), & IIRC 1 other really good player that isn't available at present but dogged if his name comes to mind).  They didn't even have Allen between the pipes and played the night before.

Honestly, beating the 'Nucks on Tuesday will be more of an accomplishment and winning Friday would be light years removed from Thursday's accomplishment. 

But a win is a win.  Here's to 96 more.  😉

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Digger said:

It's too early to get too high or for that matter too low (with early results).  We won today's game in a shootout but were definitely the better team.  I like the play so far in the 2 games and it gives me hope.  If we lose the next two games but still play well I won't lose hope but I'm sure that others will.  Let's see where we are at 20 to 25 games in to see if they can keep it going.  Let's hope so. 

Would love to see them have their typical October, will give the kids a boost & significantly boost ticket sales, but November will tell us what they are.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Would love to see them have their typical October, will give the kids a boost & significantly boost ticket sales, but November will tell us what they are.

100%. Lately they've always come out with something to prove, even more so than most other teams, given where they've been in the standings. I almost expected a fast start and alluded to the schedule helping in that regard. Fun, exciting, but also IMO non-revelatory until we see it continue into the next month. We've been in first place in more than one recent season before this, much later into the season than this one. 

Of course, when we finally do get it right, it'll look much like this, I'd imagine. So this could be it. Just agree we won't know till November or so..

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Miller was outspoken about the Vegas team having a chip on its shoulder. He also wasn’t very happy in Buffalo the last couple of years. He seems happy now. 

I mean when the coach benches you and then doesn't give you clear reasonings as to why or what the issues you need to work on are to get more playing time, I'm not sure anyone would be happy.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Thorny said:

100%. Lately they've always come out with something to prove, even more so than most other teams, given where they've been in the standings. I almost expected a fast start and alluded to the schedule helping in that regard. Fun, exciting, but also IMO non-revelatory until we see it continue into the next month. We've been in first place in more than one recent season before this, much later into the season than this one. 

Of course, when we finally do get it right, it'll look much like this, I'd imagine. So this could be it. Just agree we won't know till November or so..

I mean I am not expecting them to make the playoffs this year...I simply don't think they are going to be as bad as many would lead you to believe.

• Like (+1) 2

I appreciate the optimism… I really do. I usually lean towards the optimistic side myself.

but this team hasn’t been truly tested yet… And with the level of talent this team has… I really feel that they are going to get steamrolled often this season. Unless some roster changes are made. I’m going to ride the wave and be happy when they win. But I have no delusions of grandeur with what the team is and what it will accomplish… In my opinion of course.

5 hours ago, matter2003 said:

They might not have as many quality players but just the way they play relentlessly and with speed...I remember watching Las Vegas play their first year and kept thinking how they always were harassing the other team almost immediately once they got the puck and swarmed them in the neutral zone, getting constant turnovers...

idk, I guess I'm watching something else entirely as I see no similarity to the way Vegas played at all. 

Vegas had great goaltending and played shutdown hockey until they added enough high end talent to open it up more. Yes, they were fast, but so is just about every good team. 

7 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I appreciate the optimism… I really do. I usually lean towards the optimistic side myself.

but this team hasn’t been truly tested yet… And with the level of talent this team has… I really feel that they are going to get steamrolled often this season. Unless some roster changes are made. I’m going to ride the wave and be happy when they win. But I have no delusions of grandeur with what the team is and what it will accomplish… In my opinion of course.

I think we are going to see more or less what we saw in the last 15 or so games of last season, mostly decent efforts, a smattering of obviously overmatched games,  and bottom 1/3 of the league record.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Weave said:

I think we are going to see more or less what we saw in the last 15 or so games of last season, mostly decent efforts, a smattering of obviously overmatched games,  and bottom 1/3 of the league record.

I’m holding judgement until I see them play Washington, Boston and the Islanders. If they can play .500 against the really good teams, maybe they make the playoffs. There is still room for this young team to grow, so they might get better as season goes on. Just hope we don’t lose any more defenseman before we get some back. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.