Kyle Okposo's letter to Sabres fans

PromoTheRobot

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I think in that case he probably should, but I doubt he would. Jack Adams don't usually go to 82 point teams. They make the playoffs, it's got his name on it I'd imagine almost certainly. 

They make the playoffs, beware.  Pretty sure that a team this green w/ no established non-middle aged goaltending making the playoffs is the 4th sign of the apocalypse.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Taro T said:

They make the playoffs, beware.  Pretty sure that a team this green w/ no established non-middle aged goaltending making the playoffs is the 4th sign of the apocalypse.

A pretty poor movie in that franchise relative to the entries that came before.

- - - 

If the Sabres make the playoffs this season, regardless of what happens I'd say there's a reasonable chance this is the most enjoyable Sabres season ever, for me personally. Imagining what would need to happen...it would all be incredible. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

A pretty poor movie in that franchise relative to the entries that came before.

- - - 

If the Sabres make the playoffs this season, regardless of what happens I'd say there's a reasonable chance this is the most enjoyable Sabres season ever, for me personally. Imagining what would need to happen...it would all be incredible. 

It would definitely rival the '05-'06 season.  Not sure if that was the most enjoyable, but it was the most improbable.  (And that's even w/ an expectation they'd get in the playoffs when the season began.)

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It would definitely rival the '05-'06 season.  Not sure if that was the most enjoyable, but it was the most improbable.  (And that's even w/ an expectation they'd get in the playoffs when the season began.)

It's been my most enjoyable, by a country mile. 07 isn't close. I trashed my basement (14) somewhat after Darius Kasparaitis soured THAT season. Don't know that I FULLY appreciated 98. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

There is a middle ground here.  Maybe Jack wasn't an 'awful' captain or even a bad person that created division on the team.   It could have been that in terms of leadership, in terms of players coming together....he simply was not the catalyst to make that happen.   

We hear stories now about how this team is close, they hang out together, etc and the players/coaches think it is a good thing. We also heard that the 2005-2006 teams were that way because a lot of the key pieces got that way when they played in Rochester together.  The Sabres teams since Jack got here didn't seem to be that way.  Again, it may not be intentionally Eichel's fault...just coming in as the 'star' and 'savior', he may have never been in a position, or WANTED to being the team together (for what that is worth)

I personally think there's more to it than that, but for me, the biggest mistake (which I've said many times before) was holding the captaincy for Jack and then naming him captain because he was the big shot draft pick and not for his leadership abilities. 

ROR came to a crap team and he wanted to be part of that "build" and he should have been named captain. You can see in hindsight, St. Louis came together under his leadership, he is a leader. I personally think (and I admit this is speculative) that ROR and Jack didn't see eye to eye. There was talk of locker room rifts back then, veterans vs. younger and so forth, some sort of disfunction. Eventually ROR decided he didn't want to play second fiddle to this guy. Murray also brought in the worst kind of veteran leadership imaginable. Drug addicts, alcoholics, rapey abusers, without arguing about the validity of the charges/rumours and the causes the group of people he brought in were not good role models for a young entitled dude whose first message to the Sabres was a drunken "I'm coming for you Buffalo" (yes, I remember) . 

Jack may not have followed in their footsteps, but the entitled good times foundation was laid and the team first, hockey first, comradery and so forth never became a part of subsequent locker rooms and Captain Stick Smasher never matured into any kind of leader at all. 

I'm just hoping KA can trade him before the rest of the league realizes this and his value plummets. 

On 10/16/2021 at 8:50 AM, Cheektorado said:

Kyle always pushed hard and gave his best.

I can see that at his age and what he went through health wise he could be a real inspiration for the team.  Especially the young guys.

Can't see how he doesn't wear the C next year.

I guess I missed it.  So, are they going with just Okposo and Girgenson as Alernate Captains this season, without a named captain?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.