Kyle Okposo's letter to Sabres fans

PromoTheRobot

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I gotta say. So far Sabres PR is knocking it over the glass, with no penalty.

Maybe it was Kyle's idea. He pretty much acknowledged the players hear and see what is said about them and wanted to respond. But you're right, it is exactly what fans need to see from these guys. "Calling a spade a spade."

I have to admit they looked fast, they grinded out hard on the boards and dominated a team that made it to the Stanley Cup finals last season. I don't care who was in net for them we were supposed to be the 1 score and Montreal the 5. That's the most heart/grit/determination I've seen them play with in a very long time. Old man Anderson was excellent, still looks like he has plenty left in the tank. I don't know why but I really like this letter to almost like he was addressing it to us saying we may not win every game but we'll play hard which is what we were all hoping for, just be exciting and work your ass off!

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Rob Ray said as much in a recent Instigators show. The Sabres were cliquish and some players were left out of the "cool kids club." 

Brian Gionta has alluded to that on several occasions as well. He did a podcast in the summer where he also implied that certain guys were class one A holes in how they treated people in the building and that you can tell about character from observing that. He thinks KA has had years to observe that as well. 

• Like (+1) 7

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I have a theory that "The Process" installed by McDermott and Beane with the Bills is the template being applied to the Sabres now. It wouldn't shock me if Beane and McDermott shared some thoughts to the Pegulas and/or Adams on team building.

I wouldn’t be surprised by that, either. And I suspect KA would be open to that kind of collaboration, too. There’s an art to team building. I’ve spoken for years about what Marv used to call “football character” and see no reason why the same philosophy doesn’t apply to “hockey character.” Talented players are essential to winning, but it takes a certain kind of talented player. 

• Like (+1) 4

13 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised by that, either. And I suspect KA would be open to that kind of collaboration, too. There’s an art to team building. I’ve spoken for years about what Marv used to call “football character” and see no reason why the same philosophy doesn’t apply to “hockey character.” Talented players are essential to winning, but it takes a certain kind of talented player. 

You don’t have to reach into the football bag to find character or team character, team building philosophies etc. Teams have been doing it in the NHL for a century. Team building in the NHL isn’t lacking in any way. The Pegulas ability to see it and emulate the various models of how to do it has. 

Edited by bunomatic
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

You don’t have to reach into the football bag to find character or team character etc. Teams have been doing it in the NHL for a century. Team building in the NHL isn’t lacking in any way. The Pegulas ability to see it and emulate the various models of how to do it has. 

Not saying you do. Only saying that what embodies the character types you want on your team are the same. There is no differentiation between “football” character and “hockey” character. I only referenced the former given the context of @PromoTheRobot’s mentioning of McBeane possibly sharing ideas with KA across PSE company lines. 

Team building is lacking for some teams in all sports at various times. It’s an art. And the better teams are better at it. 

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Not saying you do. Only saying that what embodies the character types you want on your team are the same. There is no differentiation between “football” character and “hockey” character. I only referenced the former given the context of @PromoTheRobot’s mentioning of McBeane possibly sharing ideas with KA across PSE company lines. 

Team building is lacking for some teams in all sports at various times. It’s an art. And the better teams are better at it. 

True. Maybe the Pegulas finally get it? We can only hope.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

I hope more people show up to today’s game. Thursday nights game had such a different vibe to it. I’m more of a Bills fan than a Sabres fan but I haven’t been able to stop thinking about the sabres since opening night. Let’s keep it rolling today 

Yesterday I read the letter, checked the weather and then snagged a pair of tickets for the game today. Hoping they can live up to the effort promise. One game is easy, but can they put in the work game after game? This team has lacked that kind of consistency since the tank started. I'm hoping this is actually a new start.

Go sabres 

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.