Mittelstadt and Jokiharju Out for ~2 Weeks (Edit: ~2 Months?!)

That Aud Smell

6 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

IIRC the PA fought them on mandatory helmets and then fought them on mandatory visors. Players should have the right to choose what they wear or some such argument.

The PA represents what the majority of its membership wants. If the players wanted it it would happen. They don't want it which is why they dont wear the stuff already. If the NHL proposed this change the PA would fight it because that's what the membership wants them to do even if it promotes player safety 

I wasn’t thinking equipment.  I was thinking stronger punishment for the slashes.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm just happy to get updates on the injuries and believe that they still have a pulse and are alive and kicking.  The injury report updates remind me of the movie "Weekend at Bernie's".

I agree with most of the posts here that the Sabres need to do a better job with predicting the length of injuries.  I'm positive that Granato said in an interview that Mittelstadt would be ready to go after the road trip (but we're still waiting).

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

The Mittlestadt thing is perplexing. Initially announced as a couple of weeks or so … one month later, he’s still a couple weeks away. Seriously. They need to get their sh1t together.

20 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Tabletop Games Reaction GIF by AsmodeeGames

Well, a broken wrist is a 6-8 week injury. After 4 weeks one would expect that he'd still be a couple weeks away.

I’m pretty sure Mitts was 4 to 6 weeks and Joki 2 weeks more than that, no?

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’m pretty sure Mitts was 4 to 6 weeks and Joki 2 weeks more than that, no?

I don’t recall seeing those timelines. As per the first post of this thread, Granato initially estimated their absences as “at least” a couple weeks. So in my tiny brain, I was like: “Two weeks. Bet.”

54 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Close? Hmmmm...

"He's still progressing, which is good news," Granato said. "That might mean it's less than a couple of weeks or around there if he continues to progress. But with the type of injury he has, we still need to see that progression. That's a very optimistic timeline."

10 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I don’t recall seeing those timelines. As per the first post of this thread, Granato initially estimated their absences as “at least” a couple weeks. So in my tiny brain, I was like: “Two weeks. Bet.”

Exactly. The disconnect arises because of their vague timelines all the time. They know fans are going to react to the numerically stated timeframe because that’s generally how the NHL operates. When a team says 2-3 weeks or so, you commonly see the player back, if not by 2 weeks, within the specific time frame. 

The Sabres could have a player who suffers an amputated leg and they’d say “over a week, at least”. It’s technically true, it’s just wonky messaging. 

There are over 100 bears in the world today. 

- - - 

The are also really quick to proclaim injuries as “day to day”, apparently too quick, as often those are turning into long term injuries seemingly over night 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I'm gonna chalk this up to Granato's inexperience as a head coach at this level.    Take whatever the doctors tell him and add 2 weeks to it.... it's all about setting expectations.

Fair point.

He was on WGR this morning and, to my ear, sincerely (albeit vaguely) apologized to the fans for his injury updates. I think he must have read this thread. 😛

11 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Well, a broken wrist is a 6-8 week injury. After 4 weeks one would expect that he'd still be a couple weeks away.

On WGR this morning, he clearly indicated that Mittelstadt is not dealing with a break. He said Jokiharju was dealing with a break, and that with breaks, you get a clear cut and predictable timeline (no idea why that was "at least" a couple weeks initially - maybe the break didn't show up on the x-rays for a few days (which happens)). He said everyone else is dealing with soft tissue stuff, and at one point he alluded to a bone bruise (which must be Mittelstadt (?)).

Anyway, I really, really like Granato. I haven't trusted a Sabres coach this much since Lindy was in his prime here.

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, Thorny said:

Exactly. The disconnect arises because of their vague timelines all the time. They know fans are going to react to the numerically stated timeframe because that’s generally how the NHL operates. When a team says 2-3 weeks or so, you commonly see the player back, if not by 2 weeks, within the specific time frame. 

The Sabres could have a player who suffers an amputated leg and they’d say “over a week, at least”. It’s technically true, it’s just wonky messaging. 

There are over 100 bears in the world today. 

- - - 

The are also really quick to proclaim injuries as “day to day”, apparently too quick, as often those are turning into long term injuries seemingly over night 

Technically, they are "day to day."  But in the same vein as when Stephen Wright says "everything's walking distance if you have the time."  😉

4 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Fair point.

He was on WGR this morning and, to my ear, sincerely (albeit vaguely) apologized to the fans for his injury updates. I think he must have read this thread. 😛

On WGR this morning, he clearly indicated that Mittelstadt is not dealing with a break. He said Jokiharju was dealing with a break, and that with breaks, you get a clear cut and predictable timeline (no idea why that was "at least" a couple weeks initially - maybe the break didn't show up on the x-rays for a few days (which happens)). He said everyone else is dealing with soft tissue stuff, and at one point he alluded to a bone bruise (which must be Mittelstadt (?)).

Anyway, I really, really like Granato. I haven't trusted a Sabres coach this much since Lindy was in his prime here.

Would be awesome if Mittelstadt's injury is a "bone bruise" with no actual break AND no additional soft tissue damage.  The biggest part of his game are his Mitts.  Having a fracture or soft tissue damage that affects how all those little bones interact w/ each other would be just about THE worst case injury for him to suffer.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Technically, they are "day to day."  But in the same vein as when Stephen Wright says "everything's walking distance if you have the time."  😉

Would be awesome if Mittelstadt's injury is a "bone bruise" with no actual break AND no additional soft tissue damage.  The biggest part of his game are his Mitts.  Having a fracture or soft tissue damage that affects how all those little bones interact w/ each other would be just about THE worst case injury for him to suffer.

It would also severely impact the number of pull-ups he can’t do.

• Haha (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.