GDT:The Season Opener! Montreal at Buffalo 10/14/21 7pm MSG, WGR550

Brawndo

46 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Switched over to football and baseball after the 1st period. Not sure how much the no name goalie contributed to the final score, but a nice opening game! 👍

You missed a great opening game. The goaltending was excellent.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Eichel could definitely play Granato style of hockey.  I think we would have played his best hockey, if healthy, and under Granato.   Reinhart played excellent hockey without Eichel and under Granato.  

A big difference between Krueger and Granato is what Krueger *added* to the team - he added negative value. His strategies and focuses actively took away from a simpler, north south game. No attention to detail in practice is the word. Most any player would benefit from Granato's approach relative to Krueger's - I'm honestly a bit surprised it's even a question 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

What's in there the GDT?

Only what you take with you.

So -- for the record -- I would have loved to see healthy Eichel and Reinhart on this year's roster. That might've led Ullmark to re-sign. They could have played this game if instructed to do so. However, they're all gone. We must not let our minds dwell on the future or the past. We must focus on where we are. Hm. What we are doing. Hm. Excitement. Adventure. It's a new season!

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, HoosierDaddy said:

Anderson played well. The lone goal that he gave up was not on him. FWIW, I wouldn't really call him "no name." He was a starter in this league up until last year. He's just old, so it was a strange signing. If we had signed him 5 years ago when he started 40 games, winning 25 of them with a .926 SV%, I would have understood the move. Signing him when he ad one foot in retirement was a bit of a head scratcher.

I was referring to the Montreal goalie. 😉

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

He wasn't everyone's first choice, but he was reasonably high on nearly everyone's list and once it became clear what Adams' plan was, is when I think a strong consensus emerged he was the right man for the job.

Exactly. Not sure where the pushback you are getting is coming from.

400-plus posts, good luck finding a dozen pissed off about the hire. Close to unanimous as it gets around here.

At this precise moment, Donnie is right there with Peterka, just behind RJ as the most universally loved Sabre.

• Thanks (+1) 1

11 hours ago, JohnC said:

Jack's biggest fault is that he desperately wanted to win. And he became visibly frustrated with the incompetence of this organization that kept this franchise mired in the muck of mediocrity. In hindsight it is clear that he shouldn't have been the captain at such an early age. But anyone who denies acknowledging his exceptional talent (when healthy) and what he can contribute to a well coached Granato team is allowing their personal feelings toward him to cloud their judgment about what he can add to this team. 

Jack probably won't play this year. There is still plenty of time to address the Jack issue. So I'm not leaving any option out about him right now. A healthy Jack and a bought in Jack would certainly elevate this team. 

I disagree with the first sentence, and much thereafter.  

He had many bigger faults than wanting to win.  Wanting to win is not a problem at all.  
People who actually know him might replace “wanted to win” with some less flattering comments.  

Let’s move on from Jack and his exceptional talent.   He does not want to be here.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 4

20 minutes ago, Thorny said:

He wasn't everyone's first choice, but he was reasonably high on nearly everyone's list and once it became clear what Adams' plan was, is when I think a strong consensus emerged he was the right man for the job.

Whether or not he's the "answer" is not a question we are close to answering, imo

Maybe acceptance would be a better way of putting it. Very strong level of acceptance (let's see what he can do). Support is another animal.

I wasn't willing to put much stock in the end of last season, but I was willing to give him a shot and see what the first 20 games brought in the fall. So far, so good!

• Like (+1) 4

I’m still giddy from last night but there is a long way to go and many games to be played. 

I loved the passion and energy.  The players that remain are the ones that want to play for the TEAM.  I hope they can keep it up.  

The player that surprised me the most was Haag.  Blocking shots like it was a playoff game.  TEAM. 

The fans responded.  My 28 year old nephew was there and had a blast.  

• Like (+1) 7

12 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The view from the opposition perspective. Entertaining.

I read a few comments from Montreal fans during the game on a live stream of the game.  It was definitely interesting to see that the Montreal fans were giving no credit to the Sabres style of play.  I love to see Montreal fans suffer just a bit I guess.  The Sabres will earn their respect this season from the league, media and fans.  We can't get too high after one game but I hope that we see more of the same going forward.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, inkman said:

Hard to tell where that stops and the Eichel stuff starts 

It's started with our biggest troll....

SDS.

Here’s a provocative question… Does anyone see how Jack Eichel’s play fits into the style we just watched?

Animated GIF

Edited by woods-racer
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

It's started with our biggest troll....

SDS.

Here’s a provocative question… Does anyone see how Jack Eichel’s play fits into the style we just watched?

Animated GIF

This was brought up earlier today, if his play fits in...

My answer was no, it doesn't.  Jack is a guy who IS fast but doesn't PLAY fast.  More often than not, he carries the puck into the offensive zone, going over the blue line at 'half speed', then he starts to look around, controlling the puck in the center of the zone, to try to get something started that way.  That is not what we saw last night.

Despite displaying his speed on a few memorable rushes, that is not the game Eichel likes to play.  He is more of a "see the ice, control the puck" kind of guy. If he was in the NBA, he would be more comfortable in a half-court offense rather than a fast-break offense, despite is pure skating speed.

The issue with Jack is, when he is your captain, he is your highest paid player,  your most 'talented' player, the the player the fans buy the most jerseys of......you don't have him adjust to the style of the coach or the rest of the team..instead you let him play how he wants to play.

Maybe he could play this way if he wanted, but it seems he just doesn't want to.  Anyone who says he fits into this style of play is just saying that and hasn't really watched the way he actually does play the game over the last few years.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

When more teams have footage of the way the Sabres are playing and the way DG coaches, I think a lot of teams are going to eat our lunch. I certainly hope that’s not the case.

I think it will happen once we have to face an NHL goalie. Fortunately, that won't be Saturday.

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

We night as well be debating how many Eichels can dance on the head of a pin, because neither that, or him rejoining our roster, is happening.

5 minutes ago, nucci said:

I know he is never rejoining the team but are you sure about the dancing?

Definitely not breakdancing until after the surgery...............4 out of 5 doctors agree on this.  ☺️

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.