GDT:The Season Opener! Montreal at Buffalo 10/14/21 7pm MSG, WGR550

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, Norcal said:

You know what I liked about tonight, that they just kept coming harder and harder it seemed. After a goal, they'd win the faceoff and three passes later they were at the net.

Montreal looked overwhelmed at times, it was alot of fun to watch that type of game and I hope we see that all year. 

Yep. And no sign of Alamo mode in the third. Granato is different. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Wanting to win and being willing to do the things necessary to win are different things. I'm sure Jack wants to win. Everyone wants to win. When the 10m captain doesn't backcheck nobody is going to backcheck. When nobody backchecks you lose a lot.

I would love to watch a less talented team without him on it win more games than he ever did by doing all the stuff he didn't want to do.

I don't think playing defense was a problem with him, I think leadership and guiding his team was more of an issue.   Also its one game, lets not say we can do without him because losing him hurt us a lot.   Losing Samson hurt us a lot too.

7 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

It’s going to be interesting to see… When the team gets “punched in the face” a couple games in a row. To see how this group (including the coaching staff) responds and hopefully overcomes.

Mental/emotional/spiritual/whatever strength is not what I worry about with this particular edition of the Buffalo Sabres.

Talent?  That, I worry about.

And I am so ***** proud of them tonight!

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Cheektorado said:

If Jack wants to keep playing for the Buffalo Sabres and watched tonight's game he can fly back to Buffalo and tell the team and the press he wants to stay and play.  

Maybe he can catch a flight with Vontae Davis. 

I kid, sorry.

• Haha (+1) 1

Lots of things to like tonight and most of them well-covered up-thread.

My favourite thing about the game that hasn’t been talked about much was how poised, confident and assertive Rasmus Dahlin looked. Absolutely in control of his immense talent.

More than anything else, it’s a storyline I desperately need to see emerge this year.

I hope this is the last time I - or anyone else - mentions Jack Eichel’s name in a game-day thread until he is playing for another team.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Anyone see how Mitts got hurt?

It appears he got hurt in connection with that breakaway play where he and his line-mate (Minestrone?) almost had a 2-on-none — he was getting hooked pretty fierce. I’m hoping nothing is broken in the hand/wrist area.

8 hours ago, JohnC said:

It's remarkable how quickly people forget how talented Jack is. He is one of the fastest and most powerful skaters in the league. And when healthy he is a top 15 talent in this league. Anyone who doesn't believe that a healthy Jack doesn't fit in with a Granato coached team is allowing their personal feelings to cloud their objectivity for Jack. 

John is a rare talent but I feel he has proven he doesn’t fit the Team first concept that is needed to win. He isn’t Crosby or McKinnon. I would take a player on the Sabres with 10% less talent and the team first attitude, that is humble and has a  work ethic like Josh Allen has any day. A bad Sabres team or not, John could have had this town eating out of his hand for life aka Jim Kelly, Ryan Miller, Gilbert, Josh Allen. I would pay to see the product put on display tonight with out that rare talented player! I love hockey it’s the ultimate Team sport

8 hours ago, SDS said:

We drafted the guy in 2015. He’s played a lot of games. I don’t ever recall him playing a single game in that time where he push the pace of the game with his speed. I’ve read the comments here for years. No one is denying the talent, but I never have seen him play a game like the one we just played.

I concur he very rarely used speed, but that Nashville OT winner years ago I remember him blowing by the D and scoring with speed. But I do fully concede SDS, he wasn't known for it.

8 hours ago, SDS said:

What we saw tonight was relentless effort. My question is if Jack Eichel‘s game fits into a style described as relentless effort. His talent fits in anywhere. The question is if his effort fits in the same places.

I loved watching peak Eichel play for the Sabres. He is a rare talent, imo.

I don't think his style (approach? role? temperament?) would fit all that well with what Granato's teaching and demanding.

This is not an indictment on Eichel. His talent, vision, strength, skating ability, etc. are such that, most times, he has this sort of almost languid (even mellow (?)) quality about his game. I know that's ridiculous to say, on some level, because I sat 5 rows up once when Eichel was at his peak, and holy sp1t everyone on the ice, especially him, is so fast.

But he has this manner in which he seems to be anticipating what is going to happen in 2 seconds, so he sort of slows the game down a bit, waits for his window, and then BAM. From what I've seen, I don't see him as someone who can properly commit to playing with high pace, high intensity, hair on fire. I don't think that's his game.

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.