GDT:The Season Opener! Montreal at Buffalo 10/14/21 7pm MSG, WGR550

Brawndo

57 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It will be interesting to see how many people will be in the stands. If the house is not filled on opening night that will foreshadow a lot of quiet games. That will be so sad that it has devolved to this. 

As someone else brought up it will be interesting to see if Eichel is in attendance, and if so, how will the crowd will respond to his introduction. I hope the fans don't boo him. 

I'm really eager to see how the young core players play. That's where the hope is.  I'm a believer in Granato. His team may not win as much as we would like but they should play a hard and entertaining brand of hockey. I am grateful that Krueger no longer is part of the operation because he crushed this already woebegone team and needlessly set it back. 

Eichel isn’t even in Buffalo. He is part of this team in name only. He’s the poster child for persona non grata. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Projected Lines 

I just wonder how well these forward lines are going to do? Skinner had better show up. The ATO line could be nice, on many nights. I could also see the Cozens line chipping in some O and if the Eakin line can disrupt and cash in points, I think the forwards will be fine. No stars, just a group of above average guys. 

I'm babbling 

Go Sabres! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eichless21 said:

I’ve actually never been more excited over a  rebuild. We’ve always gone off track during every other rebuild, and I just feel like Adams is going to keep us on track and build us a winner

This is all we're hoping for really. Just play hard and entertaining hockey, that's all I ask.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Eichless21 said:

I’ve actually never been more excited over a  rebuild. We’ve always gone off track during every other rebuild, and I just feel like Adams is going to keep us on track and build us a winner

7 minutes ago, Radar said:

This is all we're hoping for really. Just play hard and entertaining hockey, that's all I ask.

Agreed.  This time we need to let a GM finish a rebuild instead of firing and tearing down everything the previous GM did.  Adams has the floor so we need to let him run this rebuild to completion.  That being said I was not a fan of Murray and was not convinced Botts was on track either.  I'm on board with Adams.

13 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I am open to a charity wager of some sort re: the first paragraph

I just can't imagine the odds I'd have to be given to accept that bet.

I'm not going litter the game day thread with this debate (others can decide if it warrants its own thread) but I would like to hear the explanation as to why Cody is playing and Hayden and R2 are not.

And I am curious as to how long this situation will persist.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, bob_sauve28 said:

I just wonder how well these forward lines are going to do? Skinner had better show up. The ATO line could be nice, on many nights. I could also see the Cozens line chipping in some O and if the Eakin line can disrupt and cash in points, I think the forwards will be fine. No stars, just a group of above average guys. 

I'm babbling 

Go Sabres! 

Re, first bold - I'd like to see a defensive component on that line with Skinner and Mitts. 

Second - If our forwards as a unit this season are "above average", I guarantee we are contending for a cup within 3. 

- - - 

Hoping for a 1C to emerge this season between Mitts and Cozens is probably too lofty even for a hope, but there's a non-negligible chance we don't have even a true 2C in the organization. Mitts establishing as a 1C would be phenomenal news but even him establishing as a bona fide 2 would be music to my ears. Anything to shore up a little certainty at the most important position in hockey (save maybe goalie) where we are currently organizationally at our weakest. 

Mitts or Cozens show themselves to be a top 6 guy, and we are counting on as-of-yet-un-added-players a bit less, and any time that happens it's a really good thing. 

• Like (+1) 3

I like the concept of Thompson down low and Skinner at the bumper. Each has the right skill set. Each also has a lot to prove.

Curious to see what a Dahlin-centric PP looks like as opposed to an Eichel-centric PP, and how good Casey can be as a designated playmaker.

I suspect the PP will be ugly early, but I'm hopeful it can grow.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

I know I am in the minority, but it is time to show he was worthy of being the #1 overall pick…and thought to be a perennial Norris Trophy candidate. 

I don't think you are in the minority.

Dahlin needs to take a step this year. He's still young, but he's in year 4.

Never mind that the future of the team is a lot darker if he's just Keith Yandle.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, inkman said:

I honestly have no idea how anyone musters any excitement for any games this season.  I just want the season to be over already.  

Speaking for myself, it helps that I don't set the expectation at literally nothing. I don't expect endless losing and have not resigned myself to it now to avoid disappointment later. I'd rather live, dammit! As it is with *every* season, I am hoping they win more games than they lose. THAT would be fun and I'm not about to rule that out before watching a few games. 

Just now, LabattBlue said:

I’ll be interested to see the PK units, and if Dahlin will be part of them.

I know I am in the minority, but it is time to show he was worthy of being the #1 overall pick…and thought to be a perennial Norris Trophy candidate. 

Dahlin backer here - this season is absolutely of the "put up or shut up" variety. The "he's still young" caveats start to disappear when you are off your ELC. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I like the concept of Thompson down low and Skinner at the bumper. Each has the right skill set. Each also has a lot to prove.

Curious to see what a Dahlin-centric PP looks like as opposed to an Eichel-centric PP, and how good Casey can be as a designated playmaker.

I suspect the PP will be ugly early, but I'm hopeful it can grow.

As long as he's doing the passing and not the shooting 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.