GDT:The Season Opener! Montreal at Buffalo 10/14/21 7pm MSG, WGR550

Brawndo

It will be interesting to see how many people will be in the stands. If the house is not filled on opening night that will foreshadow a lot of quiet games. That will be so sad that it has devolved to this. 

As someone else brought up it will be interesting to see if Eichel is in attendance, and if so, how will the crowd will respond to his introduction. I hope the fans don't boo him. 

I'm really eager to see how the young core players play. That's where the hope is.  I'm a believer in Granato. His team may not win as much as we would like but they should play a hard and entertaining brand of hockey. I am grateful that Krueger no longer is part of the operation because he crushed this already woebegone team and needlessly set it back. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If the house is not filled on opening night

What do you mean... If?

It's almost assured that the arena will be 3/4 empty... and that's if they're lucky.

I heard Granato's motto for the team is "Earn it."  Well chosen because they're going to start out with nothing and will need to earn they way into the good graces of the fans.

• Like (+1) 2

• nfreeman pinned and pinned this topic
26 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Ladies and gentlemen, when was the last time a Sabres team exceeded expectations?

There will never be a better chance than this year.

I'm good with giving these guys their flowers if they amount to more than people are thinking, but the other side of that coin needs to be that it's ok to point out areas this team could have been made better without the constant reply of "process - this year isn't about winning". It's a double standard. 

Not really fair to tout incremental gains without acknowledging avenues for further improvement this offseason left on the table 

Basically, how much of an accomplishment is exceeding expectations when they bar was consciously set much lower than it needed to be

Edited by Thorny

27 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It will be interesting to see how many people will be in the stands. If the house is not filled on opening night that will foreshadow a lot of quiet games. That will be so sad that it has devolved to this. 

As someone else brought up it will be interesting to see if Eichel is in attendance, and if so, how will the crowd will respond to his introduction. I hope the fans don't boo him. 

Less than 10,000, and there is ZERO chance Eichel will be at the game.  In fact if I was a betting man, I'd bet the house that next time Eichel steps foot in the KBC, it will be as a member of another NHL team. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, LabattBlue said:

Less than 10,000, and there is ZERO chance Eichel will be at the game.  In fact if I was a betting man, I'd bet the house that next time Eichel steps foot in the KBC, it will be as a member of another NHL team. 

Less than zero chance Eichel will be there. I’ll bet you see him at a Boston game before you see him in Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Having less than 10,000 fans on opening night is pathetic and sad. The Pegulas have damaged this franchise. I hope the owners have learned their belated lesson on how to run a franchise like they did with the Bills. The obvious lesson is to hire the right people and stand back. 

Eakin in the Larry role. I could see him being okay (serviceable) there.

Not going to see this one live. In years past, I would have changed my plans for opening night. 

1 hour ago, Eichless21 said:

I’ve actually never been more excited over a  rebuild. We’ve always gone off track during every other rebuild, and I just feel like Adams is going to keep us on track and build us a winner

Welcome.

Ah, the excitement of the first game of the season.  I can tell you that I overestimated the Sabres for the last few years (at this point in past years).  I have gone into the season opening game expecting great things and knowing that the Sabres will prove the analysts wrong but of course I was wrong each year and we ended up with a high draft pick instead.

This year I don't have any high expectations.  I hope to see a fast hard working team that does not give up.  I expect to see a team that will lose some games but also a team that will come back the next game with a great effort and get a few unexpected wins.  I am really looking forward to seeing the team adapt as the season progresses.  And for me if they can beat the Leafs, Habs, Rags and Bruins a couple of times this season it will make me smile and once again be patient with the rebuild.

Let's go Buffalo.  Sabres win tonight 3-1.

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/22/2021 at 9:34 AM, dudacek said:

There is a slim possibility that a rejuvenated Cody Eakin might show up to camp and save his career.

But going into camp with perhaps the worst player on the worst team in the league pencilled into the starting lineup would be a huge mistake that tells the room and the fans that management simply doesn't get it.

If I was Don Granato, I would have made it crystal clear to Cody Eakin this summer that he in not among his top 12 up front and that if he wants to play he will have to make the tea in training camp.

I'm still here, myself. As were a lot of people, looking back on the Eakin comments over the offseason

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.