OT: College Football Thread

GASabresIUFAN

I admit I'm starting this thread because of the team I get to see each week in Athens, GA.  However this had been a truly amazing season throughout the country and I thought it would be fun to discuss some of the storylines this season.

1) New leadership in the SEC?  UK is undefeated and heading to Athens this weekend.  Texas A&M's stunning victory over Alabama coupled with Bama's near loss to Fla, makes the Tide look vulnerable for the first time in over a decade.  Is this finally GA's year.  Still so much ground to cover.  Georgia still has games with undefeated UK, ranked Fla, and an improving Tenn before they even reach the SEC championship where they'll likely still see the Tide.

2) Revival of the Big 10 - Iowa, Penn St, Mich, OSU and Mich St are in the top 10.  After seeing my Hoosier lose to Iowa and Penn St (plus Cinn), with Michigan, OSU and Mich St still on the schedule,  IU may have the hardest schedule in the country.  Ouch!  It will be interesting to see who gets the pleasure of playing Iowa's ball hawking D in the Big 10 championship.  A case can be made for any of the 4 East team.  I'm betting OSU ends up on top in the end.  

3) The Outsiders - Cinn, Coastal Carolina, SMU and San Diego State are all undefeated with Cinn now ranked 3/4.  Honestly they are overrated and should have lost to IU, best I think they have a legit shot of making the playoffs.

4) Okla, Oregon and Ok St are also lurking out there.  Oklahoma and OK St have no D.  Oregon also looks decent but not great. 

5) ACC is a joke.  Wake is the top team right now.  Enough said.

Playoff right now IMHO GA, Cinn, OSU and Okla.   

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I know this year there were 2 first time teams in the playoffs, but what difference does it make when they both got destroyed in the semi-finals.  Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, and sprinkle in another SEC team from time to time.  Rinse and repeat.

Something has to be done to help with competitive balance at the top of the rankings.  What that is, I don't have an answer.

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I know this year there were 2 first time teams in the playoffs, but what difference does it make when they both got destroyed in the semi-finals.  Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, and sprinkle in another SEC team from time to time.  Rinse and repeat.

Something has to be done to help with competitive balance at the top of the rankings.  What that is, I don't have an answer.

It's being done. We're paying players now(again!)(but legally this time.) Rebuild USC and Texas. And some of the Florida schools and it'll get fun again. 

Up to the schools themselves to recruit and make their teams better.  Can’t hold back a school because another cannot keep pace.  

Edited by GoPre

Clemson before Dabo took over was a mediocre team at best.   Where was GA 6-7 years ago?  They were a solid 8-10 win team but not a contender.  They hired the right coach and recruited. Florida could easily do the same thing.  USC and Texas have access to great recruiting bases and consistently fail.  Oregon has built a great program, sadly they just can’t seem to get over the hump, but now hired a great coach who can get them there.  

Bama has been great for a decade plus, but others like GA and Clemson have closed the gap.  Oklahoma and Ohio St are in hunt every year as well.  Texas A&M has taken a huge leap forward and has incredibly deep resources.  The way to build competitive balance is for other teams to step up.  

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This made me think of the greatest game I watched in college football world. 

Georgia v Oklahoma in the Rose Bowl or LSU v Georgia 2013 I think it was. 

Vince Young beats Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush. Then Boise State beats Adrian Peterson in the fiesta bowl with a bunch of trick plays. Absolutely awesome games to be out at the bar for.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.