Jack Eichel's antics

Hoss

33 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

As others have said, he's not off the clock in this situation. He's responsible for the message he's communicating. I honestly don't think it helps his cause. It communicates what a douchebag he is. But apparently every other GM already knew this, so maybe he doesn't care who knows.

In this situation, he is “off the clock” as you say.  I don’t need my hockey players to maintain some sort of kayfab facade that because they play for different teams they can’t be seen together publicly.  He was in the same city as these guys, he is friends with some of them, they went to a baseball game together.  It’s nothing to me.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

In combination with the comment from @PASabreFan about players giving up their hometown teams, I wonder if they give up other biases as well.  For instance, my sister says that WEEI basically trains Bostonians to have contempt for all things Buffalo.  I wonder if Eichel's sometimes tone-deaf behaviour comes from that.

Aside: from what coworkers say, Eichel is still the consummate Sabre to their kids.

Would be interesting to find out that Jack was drafted by the one organization he doesn’t respect because of community bias.

I would think that excitement over achieving your dreams would overcome that, but we’ve seen players in multiple sports refuse to play for the team that drafted them.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, SabresVet said:

It's gonna get real interesting if this team stumbles out of the gate and cannot play at least entertaining hockey.  Will fans re-direct their ire at certain roster players or continue attacking Eichel?  

Neither.  The majority of fans know we have a minor league roster, with a few exceptions.   The Pegula’s are the root cause of this entire situation.  Not Jack, not Adams, not the players and coaches.  

The Pegula’s drive everything.  Don’t think for a minute that they are happy with Jack either.  

They are going to lose money this year so they instructed Adams to keeping the payroll down “while the young talent develops”.    If they can acquire more talent, and develop what they have, they will eventually contend in 3-4 years. 

It’s ugly when you don’t try to win. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3

The sooner this bozo is traded the better.  I was in favour of trying to reconcile, but now I want John traded as soon as possible and not because he is from Boston and dreams of being a dastardly Bruin and goes and watches the dastardly Red Sox with a bunch of dastardly Bruin.  The dastardlies hang together.

No, I want John gone as soon as possible so that we all can kiss and makeup.  We all know that makeup sex is the best sex there is.

This crap has put brother against brother and I hate it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I guess that I don't really care what Eichel is doing right now.  Get him healthy or whatever and get him traded. 

I tried to put this scenario into my everyday life.  If as top employee for my company I decided to go to watch a sports event in a box paid for by a competitor company and was caught on tape (so to speak) I would expect to be questioned by management about what the heck I was doing there (even if it was my time off). But if I got together with some other employees that happened to work for a top competitor then maybe it wouldn't be frowned on so much but the optics still look bad and I wouldn't do that.  Depends on the job function of course and you wouldn't be sharing any company information.  Either way I would not want to be at a sports event with a bunch of employees from a main competitor.

Edited by Digger
  • Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

The sooner this bozo is traded the better.  I was in favour of trying to reconcile, but now I want John traded as soon as possible and not because he is from Boston and dreams of being a dastardly Bruin and goes and watches the dastardly Red Sox with a bunch of dastardly Bruin.  The dastardlies hang together.

No, I want John gone as soon as possible so that we all can kiss and makeup.  We all know that makeup sex is the best sex there is.

This crap has put brother against brother and I hate it.

Sorry NS, but the idea of makeup sex with my brother is extremely upsetting. 

• Haha (+1) 5

People butt-hurt by Eichel being at a Red Sox game really need to, as William Shatner once said in a great SNL skit, "get a life."    

There's plenty of things to be angry about...this ain't one of them.   I've heard hobbies are good, as is exercising, reading books, and many other activities. 

It wouldn't surprise me if, after the Sabres begin their descent, begin re-visiting the Eichel saga all over again.    

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Do the Sabres have a bigger event this season?  Honesty asking?

An outdoor game is a pretty big PR deal.

Frankly they have NO events. They have games. Show up if you want. Sit where you want. Maybe you'll be entertained.

52 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Neither.  The majority of fans know we have a minor league roster with a few exceptions.   The Pegula’s are the root cause of this entire situation.  Not Jack, not Adams, not the players and coaches.  

The Pegula’s drive everything.  Don’t think for a minute that they are happy with Jack either.  

They are going to lose money this year so they instructed Adams are keeping the payroll down “while the young talent develops”.    If they can acquire more talent, and develop what they have, they will. Intend in 3-4 years.  

It’s ugly when you don’t try to win. 

I think the Bills are taking the edge off this year.

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

It doesn't even look like John.

Terrible, as usual, cell phone video.  

It could be anybody.  Even if it was John, so what.  He is from Boston and can cheer for the dastardly Red Sox if he wants to, but if he is dancing around that is not a good look for his IRed neck and spine.

All that said ... *antics* for sure.

I'm with you, I don't even think that's him, lol

52 minutes ago, Curt said:

Ok, sure.  Why did you even reply to me then?

Sorry if I came off harsh. But I don't get the handwringing over the Heritage Classic. If you want to go you can go. They'll let you in, unlike Canadians into the US for some stupid reason. This season will be an exercise to find something to feel excited over for the future. The best realistic outcome would be for them to be entertaining and finish 14th-11th in the conference.

2 hours ago, Digger said:

I guess that I don't really care what Eichel is doing right now.  Get him healthy or whatever and get him traded. 

I tried to put this scenario into my everyday life.  If as top employee for my company I decided to go to watch a sports event in a box paid for by a competitor company and was caught on tape (so to speak) I would expect to be questioned by management about what the heck I was doing there (even if it was my time off). But if I got together with some other employees that happened to work for a top competitor then maybe it wouldn't be frowned on so much but the optics still look bad and I wouldn't do that.  Depends on the job function of course and you wouldn't be sharing any company information.  Either way I would not want to be at a sports event with a bunch of employees from a main competitor.

The first thing I thought was if it is the Bruins teams box at Fenway, could this be viewed as tampering?

Like you said, it wouldn't be good if your employer found out you were at an event with the companies direct competitor.

If you were out with just a couple of friends at an event and they happened to be employees of a competitor and it wasn't in a corporate setting, that is not usually an issue.

This is the second time this offseason that Jack has been spending time with Bruins players (baseball game & training/skating with Bruins players in Boston), but nothing about him spending any time with his teammates. Its not often that you hear about other teams hangining out with one player from another team (I know that there are times where local players may get together to play/practice together in the offseason, but rarely is it just one player with another team. I can't say I have ever heard of Kane coming back to Buffalo to sit with the Sabres team in their box at Highmark stadium for a Bills game? McDavid doesn't come down to sit in the Leafs Box with them at Jays games in the Rogers Centre.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Sorry if I came off harsh. But I don't get the handwringing over the Heritage Classic. If you want to go you can go. They'll let you in, unlike Canadians into the US for some stupid reason. This season will be an exercise to find something to feel excited over for the future. The best realistic outcome would be for them to be entertaining and finish 14th-11th in the conference.

I’m not pissed about it.  I don’t even live in the Buffalo area.  It’s just that people who do live in the area support the team year after year after year, and then the owners move this big event to another city.

I understand that it maybe was a better financial move and I guess it’s nice that Canadian Sabres fans will be able to go, but I just don’t think it’s right.  It’s something that locals could have been excited about and local businesses could have benefited from.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I don't see how it could be.  Jack's under contract.  If he were an upcoming FA, maybe it could be, but he's just a guy on IR.

Should that matter? he is under contract with another team, he shouldn't be a guest of another team for an event.

He might not be a FA, but he is available to be dealt. And if a player finds out that a team is interested in him, that team can persuade him to do what he can to make the move possible.

27 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Should that matter? he is under contract with another team, he shouldn't be a guest of another team for an event.

He might not be a FA, but he is available to be dealt. And if a player finds out that a team is interested in him, that team can persuade him to do what he can to make the move possible.

I don't think it works that way 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.