JJ Peterka is being sent to the Amerks

Brawndo

12 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I agree with this....and I'll take it one step further.

Its kinda like the NFL.  A decade ago or more, an outside linebacker did certain things.  An inside linebacker did other things. A safety did things. A DE did things..and you drafted players to fit those ROLES.  Not anymore.  There are so many 'hybrid' players now.  You don't force a guy into a 'position'...but rather you let a guy (often times) do what he does best, and build a Defense, or an individual defensive play, around that.

I guess that is a long way of saying...why can't the NHL have players who are 'hybrid' forwards....with a coach mixing and matching players not based on what position they each play, but rather on how well they work together regardless of what position they are assigned on the roster?

So who are the hybrid forwards in the system aside from Cozens and Mittelstadt capable of stacking up against the 2 best forwards from every other team?

This is all semantics. Cozens and Mittelstadt are the two players in the system right now the franchise is most relying on to shape the forward unit of the future. Unless we are certain they'll both amount to being good enough to be the 2 best players on a good team, we need more blue-chippers in the system, to make filling out a competent top 6 a possibility, rather than a pipe dream.

And ones that can play in the middle. 

We can pencil in Peterka and Quinn to the middle of the top 6 if we want as backups if one of Cozens or Casey don't reach that level, and call them hybrids like Thompson, but that doesn't put them on par with the two guys the other teams have lined up in the middle in the top 6 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Based purely off context, I guess I understand, but WTF does “feeling his oats” mean? 

Brash, energetic, hitting his stride, etc.

Really surprised you needed help w/ that because if you're as old as you come across here you'd almost definitely know it well & if you're too young for it you probably have heard of this new fangled thing called "google."  😉

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Pu-terkah

Wasn’t Routsalainen playing C?  Did they move him back to wing?

Like I said already, I didn't watch the preseason, my lines were just a guess. The actual roster looks objectively awful, not trying to be snarky it's one of the worst rosters on paper I've ever seen. Really hoping they surprise, schedule could help, as I'm one of those completely insane people looking for winning hockey for entertainment. 

58 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Really surprised you needed help w/ that because if you're as old as you come across here you'd almost definitely know it well & if you're too young for it you probably have heard of this new fangled thing called "google."  😉

Til. I’ve actually never heard of feeling you oats.

I’ve heard of sowing your oats.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I didn't watch the preseason, my lines were just a guess. The actual roster looks objectively awful, not trying to be snarky it's one of the worst rosters on paper I've ever seen. Really hoping they surprise, schedule could help, as I'm one of those completely insane people looking for winning hockey for entertainment.

The last preseason game would be worth watching to get a sense of where the roster stands. Basically Granato's system seeks to overcome the disadvantage of talent with relentless pressure.  They will be a "system" team, not a "talent" team.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

I come across as old?!

Let’s hear more about this google thing.  Sounds like a board game or something.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

With Mittelstadt’s unjury, he’ll be going on ir at the bare minimum, freeing up a roster spot that probably will go to a forward. Does JJP get pulled up here?

I think R2 goes into the lineup and Hayden remains the extra forward.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Yep, they may want an extra body for a long road trip, but as long as Rochester is less than a day away, there's no need to call anyone up.

Agreed.

I think you might see someone called up before any road trip out of the Northeast, but that won't be until the Oct 28th game in California.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.