JJ Peterka is being sent to the Amerks

Brawndo

14 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

They are attaching their aspirations about *not* building around any one player (as they did with Eichel).  As such, no they don't need Cozens at center.  They need the best team over all, with the contributions and talents of each player maximized.  For now, and perhaps into the future, that *could* mean Cozens on the wing.  Although even if he primarily plays wing I don't see Granato making the mistake that coaches past made with Reinhart; Cozens will get some time at center I'm pretty sure.  But it's about the team's success, chemistry, and the development of the players including Cozens.

They don't need *Cozens* at C, but they need someone at C, and right now that means they are counting on Cozens (and Casey) by default - there isn't anyone else in the system who has a reasonable shot at seizing a top 6 C role. It's a dicey position to be in - there is a 2022 draft coming for everyone. Relative to the rest of, and entirety of the league, right now, we are on the edge of a knife in terms of the centre ice position - as the system currently stands, the Sabres can't afford for Cozens not to pan out at C. If they add Wright, that changes things, but whether or not one of the other guys we might get, does, depends on how you feel about that player, and, especially, a much longer timeline. 

Aside from the outside chance Quinn shifts over and becomes a capable 2C and Mittelstadt develops into a bonafide 1C, we are really counting on Cozens at C right now. The "group" we are supposedly building around currently, rather than one player, was all here last season when we had Jack, Reinhart, etc, too. We don't find ourselves in a sounder strategy merely by removing the players that served to create and illustrate a talent gap. The "rest of the roster" still has to catch up to where the Reinharts of the team have been, regardless of if we physically remove Reinhart and say we don't care about winning anymore. 

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

They need to get Cozens away from this tire fire.  Put him with JJ, and let them grow together in Rochester this season.

I don't get how people can listen to Kevyn Adams talk about the "blinding light" of the kids all summer and not think the "fire" that light is coming from is exactly what he wants. Cozens *is* the focus right now - they aren't going to get him away from his his own show. KA didn't add anything this offseason - he wants the players adjudged to be the new young core right in the thick of it. 

1 hour ago, Carmel Corn said:

He has to send JJP down to Rochester.  Otherwise, it makes him look like a fool if JJP is with the big club while his wasted 1st rounder on Quinn is in the minors.

You really think he would keep a bonafide NHLer down in the A to not make the previous pick he made not look bad?  Wow.  If the second round pick is ready, he's ready, regardless of who was picked ahead of him. 

8 minutes ago, Norcal said:

I have a question about pronunciation of Peterka.

Is it Pe-Terk-a or Peter-Ka?

I assumed it was the latter but recently heard the other way. 

It's been pronounced PeTERka pretty consistently on every radio/TV broadcast I've heard.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Doohickie said:

They are attaching their aspirations about *not* building around any one player (as they did with Eichel).  As such, no they don't need Cozens at center.  They need the best team over all, with the contributions and talents of each player maximized.  For now, and perhaps into the future, that *could* mean Cozens on the wing.  Although even if he primarily plays wing I don't see Granato making the mistake that coaches past made with Reinhart; Cozens will get some time at center I'm pretty sure.  But it's about the team's success, chemistry, and the development of the players including Cozens.

I agree with this....and I'll take it one step further.

A "Center" isn't now what it was 10 years ago, and in 5 years from now I think it will be even different.  Years and years ago, a Center took most of the faceoffs. He played in the center of the ice.  A left winger stayed on the left side of the ice, and a right winger on the right side.  A 'Center' had certain defensive responsibilities that the wingers didn't have.  The game was more 'rigid' that way.  That is changing, and it CAN change more.   The place the player lines up I think can matter less than we think it does.  If a 'center' traditionally has certain defensive responsibilities.....Why can't the LW take those responsibilities in the D zone if he is better suited to do so?  As the game gets more and more complex, I just think a good coach isn't going to force players into roles defined by traditional positions, a good coach will let players do what they do best, not mattering what 'position' they play.

Its kinda like the NFL.  A decade ago or more, an outside linebacker did certain things.  An inside linebacker did other things. A safety did things. A DE did things..and you drafted players to fit those ROLES.  Not anymore.  There are so many 'hybrid' players now.  You don't force a guy into a 'position'...but rather you let a guy (often times) do what he does best, and build a Defense, or an individual defensive play, around that.

I guess that is a long way of saying...why can't the NHL have players who are 'hybrid' forwards....with a coach mixing and matching players not based on what position they each play, but rather on how well they work together regardless of what position they are assigned on the roster?

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I agree with this....and I'll take it one step further.

A "Center" isn't now what it was 10 years ago, and in 5 years from now I think it will be even different.  Years and years ago, a Center took most of the faceoffs. He played in the center of the ice.  A left winger stayed on the left side of the ice, and a right winger on the right side.  A 'Center' had certain defensive responsibilities that the wingers didn't have.  The game was more 'rigid' that way.  That is changing, and it CAN change more.   The place the player lines up I think can matter less than we think it does.  If a 'center' traditionally has certain defensive responsibilities.....Why can't the LW take those responsibilities in the D zone if he is better suited to do so?  As the game gets more and more complex, I just think a good coach isn't going to force players into roles defined by traditional positions, a good coach will let players do what they do best, not mattering what 'position' they play.

Its kinda like the NFL.  A decade ago or more, an outside linebacker did certain things.  An inside linebacker did other things. A safety did things. A DE did things..and you drafted players to fit those ROLES.  Not anymore.  There are so many 'hybrid' players now.  You don't force a guy into a 'position'...but rather you let a guy (often times) do what he does best, and build a Defense, or an individual defensive play, around that.

I guess that is a long way of saying...why can't the NHL have players who are 'hybrid' forwards....with a coach mixing and matching players not based on what position they each play, but rather on how well they work together regardless of what position they are assigned on the roster?

Umm, the game is already highly hybridized.  Outside of the D zone, & especially forecheckingnin the O zone there aren't L, C, R roles; there's F1, F2, & F3 based upon who's in position to pressure the defenders.

Transitioning back into the zone, the 1st F back initially takes the C's responsibility because that's the most important forward role and prevents an outnumbered situation down low.  If there's an opportunity to swap the C back to that low role, it'll be done but not always.

There are guys like Ott who took faceoffs but purely played wing after that initial moment & guys like Briere who hybridized the position in Buffalo w/ Hecht on his wing & Leino on his wing in Filly.

And for the Loafs, Marner on W is more of the set up man for his C Matthews, though that is opposite the traditional role.

It's a big part of why yours truly supports playing Cozens on RW until he gets his comfort level/ confidence back as he'll still have that role a fair amount (especially if he's out with either Ruotsalainen or Thompson).  And why yours truly preferred Reinhart on W (w/ O'Reilly when he was in Buffalo & then Eichel) to running his own line.  He was the best complementary player the Sabres had & it always made more sense to optimize your best player & your best complementary player than to optimize the other wings.  Plus, it was pretty much a 2 man breakout when Sam was low in the zone as his Was were almost always significantly quicker).  But, in general,  the C will still be involved in driving play more than the W's & is why many here really don't want him spending time on W. 

One minor quibble on your timeline, F's haven't just patrolled their lane since the '70's when international play really took off.  The Soviets in particular, but all the Europeans in general played a more roaming soccer style interweaving & cycling game.  The NHL game changed significantly in the '80's.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Hoss said:

I’ve already admitted I’ve given this team very little energy or space in my life this preseason but is R2 ACTUALLY going to be 4th line wing?

If he keeps up with his trajectory, and the way he’s been playing, it’ll be hard for any reasonable coach to have him on the 4th line for long. 

17 hours ago, Taro T said:

Rather than do that to Cozens, let him play the simpler game to start, & once he starts feeling his oats slide him back to C and see where he's at.

Based purely off context, I guess I understand, but WTF does “feeling his oats” mean? 

14 hours ago, Norcal said:

I have a question about pronunciation of Peterka.

Is it Pe-Terk-a or Peter-Ka?

I assumed it was the latter but recently heard the other way. 

Pu-terkah

18 hours ago, Thorny said:

Skinner - Mittelstadt - Hinostroza

Bjork - Cozens - Olofsson

Asplund - Thompson - Okposo

Girgensons - Eakin - Ruotsalainen

Dahlin - Jokiharju

Hagg - Miller

Butcher - Pysyk

...about right? If the lines look wonky..I haven't seen the preseason 

Wasn’t Routsalainen playing C?  Did they move him back to wing?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.