Do You Think The Sabres Top Brass Sees This As A “Tank” Season?

bob_sauve28

Does Sabres Top Brass See This As A Tank Season?   

67 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a tank season?

• Yes
    • No

7 hours ago, Thorny said:

Because last year we only played the teams in the division. 

The strength of teams outside the division is on average weaker than the strength of teams within it. We get to play more poor teams now. We are definitely much better off schedule wise

Yes, but that doesn't really help us since everyone else plays those teams too. Technically we might have more points, but we won't be higher in the standings. 

Besides that, is anyone actually weaker?

7 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Because they're not literally tearing it down to the studs.  They're keeping their prospects that are just reaching fruition and building out from there.  This build is (to cite the tired comparison) more like the Bills current build where they are building the overall team then will add key pieces when they are actually a decent team to finishing the buildout.  Some of those pieces are already in the system (Power, the goalie prospects).  In a year or two when the prospects are ready to play, players like Mitts, Cozens and Thompson will have been groomed to lead the team and upcoming prospects will not be depended on to lead right out of the gate.

I hear what you're saying, but isn't getting rid of your top players and veterans and relying on prospects the definition of tearing it down to the studs? Aren't the prospects the "studs"?

Also, you have a lot of faith in middling players like Thompson becoming leaders from some sort of grooming. imo you need veteran leaders balanced with prospects. Players to lead them and show them the right way. Coaches are only one aspect of that process. 

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Also, you have a lot of faith in

Not so sure about faith.  Maybe hope is a better word.  At this point in the season I'm always optimistic; hope abounds.  In a month or so I'll probably be jaded.  But let me enjoy the season while I can.

1 hour ago, Norcal said:

No. They are doing a traditional rebuild from scratch. Ground up.

They want the guys here to play in all situations and I believe they like what they've seen in practice and feel like they are building team chemistry.

According to reports, the guys genuinely like each other and want to play together.

Players are staying late after practice, working on their games. 

The guys in the room understand that nobody is giving them a chance, let alone any respect.

This has bonded them and they are embracing that challenge head on. 

I think the team passed on players put on waivers because they weren't necessarily guys who "want to be here" (since they were waived and wouldn't have a choice if the Sabres claimed them)

but also because they like what they have and believe they are building an organic connection within the team. 

I'm not expecting immediate results in the win column but I am expecting a team that competes and gives max effort on every shift. 

Plenty of other teams have more skill and sometimes that skill will take over a game. 

For that reason I'd expect there might be a blow out or two early in the season. 

All things considered, when this season comes to a close, the team will have shown improvement and maybe surprised some teams and fans along the way. 

Lets GO Sabres!!!!!!!!

This is the best articulation of Adams' plan that I've seen.

Those of you who wanted the culture fixed, this is how he's doing it.

• Like (+1) 1

If they don't view it as a 'Tank' season, they should be fired for complete incompetence and never be allowed near a hockey rink again.

They did nothing in the offseason to try an improve a roster that had the #1 overall pick and basically signed warm bodies to fill out the roster, they moved out talented players and didn't upgrade on any of them for this season. They won't admit to tanking, but theres no way they can come out and say that they intend to win games this year or improve on last season with what they are putting on the ice.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Other than the oilers there is little other precedents for such a situation.  This is unique. Uniquely atrocious.  At the end of the day we will single handedly own the longest NHL playoff drought of all time with literally no end in sight. Our GM just willingly fielded a team with no NHL caliber goaltending and a bunch of AHL players.  We  ran off all the players from the last tank are are completely devoid of a serious professional hockey roster.  The fanbase is virtually killed off. It has left embarrassing and now we have simply become a Pyrrha. After 10 years the full fruition will be on display with a dead and empty arena.  Nobody is going to remain loyal for yet another tank.  Fans have had enough.  I am not being negative, that is simple reality.  Without a miracle this team will be lucky to win 20 games. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Other than the oilers there is little other precedents for such a situation.  This is unique. Uniquely atrocious.  At the end of the day we will single handedly own the longest NHL playoff drought of all time with literally no end in sight. Our GM just willingly fielded a team with no NHL caliber goaltending and a bunch of AHL players.  We  ran off all the players from the last tank are are completely devoid of a serious professional hockey roster.  The fanbase is virtually killed off. It has left embarrassing and now we have simply become a Pyrrha. After 10 years the full fruition will be on display with a dead and empty arena.  Nobody is going to remain loyal for yet another tank.  Fans have had enough.  I am not being negative, that is simple reality.  Without a miracle this team will be lucky to win 20 games. 

Not really, there are many 'Superfans', the ones who think that any negativity towards the team makes you not a fan and that since the players are young, the will be hungry and hunger will be enough to make the team competitive and win.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Not so sure about faith.  Maybe hope is a better word.  At this point in the season I'm always optimistic; hope abounds.  In a month or so I'll probably be jaded.  But let me enjoy the season while I can.

Hey don't let my pessimistic realism get in your way. At the moment they're undefeated. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

15 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

If they don't view it as a 'Tank' season, they should be fired for complete incompetence and never be allowed near a hockey rink again.

15 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

This is unique. Uniquely atrocious...  Without a miracle this team will be lucky to win 20 games. 

stressed mickey mouse GIF

30 minutes ago, nucci said:

After reading his article and other articles by people who cover the Sabres you get the sense that the organization does have a plan in place and is determined to implement it. There is no mystery to what it is. It is the standard method of building a successful team by acquiring and developing young players. It certainly is not a quick fix but it is the most reliable pathway to sustained success. 

The only team that I know that has short-circuited that approach is Vegas's success since its inception. That organization masterfully handled the expansion draft and was ready to compete right off the start. There is no question that the Vegas model is an exception to the rule. 

11 minutes ago, JohnC said:

After reading his article and other articles by people who cover the Sabres you get the sense that the organization does have a plan in place and is determined to implement it. There is no mystery to what it is. It is the standard method of building a successful team by acquiring and developing young players. It certainly is not a quick fix but it is the most reliable pathway to sustained success. 

The only team that I know that has short-circuited that approach is Vegas's success since its inception. That organization masterfully handled the expansion draft and was ready to compete right off the start. There is no question that the Vegas model is an exception to the rule. 

To be fair, everyone has a plan. At least with this one there is some talent to start out with. Still going nowhere without goaltending so they better be right about UPL

15 minutes ago, nucci said:

To be fair, everyone has a plan. At least with this one there is some talent to start out with. Still going nowhere without goaltending so they better be right about UPL

When you have four different GMs and coaches you are not going to have any stability. The constant lurching back and forth in direction makes it difficult to move forward. The problem then becomes not the plan but the follow-through. There needs to be organization stability in order to have roster stability. I'm hoping that is what we have now. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, nucci said:

Everyone has a plan - until you get punched in the face as Mike Tyson allegedly said.  

It's reasonable to ask the what the plan is from a GM who's never worked in a NHL front office.  I know there's always gonna be some fans who are results-optional so as not to be seen as "anti-team" but at by the end of year 2 they'd better be challenging for a playoff spot.  A hard working, energetic team without a lot of skill isn't going to do that no matter how much DG coaxes out of that group.  Even if their forwards arrive, I agree the goaltending is gonna undermine the rest of the team. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nucci said:

A long time ago there used to be debates on here about whether Harrington and his ilk were being ***** or "calling it like it is."

I usually thought they were being *****, but in terms of how bad or broken the team was, they certainly weren't wrong.

I can't recall ever reading a Harrington piece with so hopeful a take on the Sabres.

52 minutes ago, dudacek said:

A long time ago there used to be debates on here about whether Harrington and his ilk were being ***** or "calling it like it is."

I usually thought they were being *****, but in terms of how bad or broken the team was, they certainly weren't wrong.

I can't recall ever reading a Harrington piece with so hopeful a take on the Sabres.

I suspect the opinions regarding Harrington and Hamilton will change when the team’s performance changes.  My thought all along was that we criticized because we didn’t like the opinions given, but we characterized them as bad opinions because they were counter to what alot of the fans wanted to hear.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, nucci said:

Optimism and a straightforward explanation why this is not a "tank season."

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.