Around the NHL 2021-22

Doohickie

22 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I’ll be honest, I think the Oilers have it worse than us. We have little expectations and feel generally disappointed most seasons with lingering hope for the future. Oilers fans are convinced they are Cup contenders every year only to end up being inept and scrambling. I guess it more of a continuous gut punch in the dark versus Buffalo’s staring down of the punch.

The Coilers disease starts in upper management. They have made some really bonehead moves and continue to do so.

Nurse gets 9.25m???? Seriously???

Hyman, 29, 5.5m for 7 years???

Keith 5.5m???

Ceci signed for 4 years at 3.25m???

Why?

Let's sign a pensioner to play goal for us...

Just unbelievable deals and I love it.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I’ll be honest, I think the Oilers have it worse than us. We have little expectations and feel generally disappointed most seasons with lingering hope for the future. Oilers fans are convinced they are Cup contenders every year only to end up being inept and scrambling. I guess it more of a continuous gut punch in the dark versus Buffalo’s staring down of the punch.

Sounds like Leafs fans too

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

I like they mention his AHL points. Ah, to be young and watching your team burn again. 

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

Re Risto:  Every Flyers fan I know loves him.  And I don't think we got a bad deal.  But Flyers fans (even when I check Reddit) don't seem to think they got a bad deal either.

I know quite a few Flyers fans and that is definitely not true. Every single one of them was okay or happy with the deal when it was made but now hates it and sees it as one of the GM mistakes. General feeling with them is that Clarke and Holmgren are stuck on an old school logic that has ruined the franchise. Risto is seen as part of that ethic/idea.

32 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Getting a guilty pleasure reading posts from Sabres fans where they point the finger at the craptastic season the Oilers are having. Easing the pain of being a fan of an equally inept organization. Keep it coming boys. 

The Shraderenfreud is strong.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I know quite a few Flyers fans and that is definitely not true. Every single one of them was okay or happy with the deal when it was made but now hates it and sees it as one of the GM mistakes. General feeling with them is that Clarke and Holmgren are stuck on an old school logic that has ruined the franchise. Risto is seen as part of that ethic/idea.

It may not be true among your friends.  It is true among mine, and if you search either "Risto" or "Ristolainen" in the Flyers subreddit, you will see that it is true there, as well.

16 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I agree. Seems funny to say, but we’re further along in our rebuild than the Oilers. I still think they should build around McDavid, but should move Leon for multiple parts. They are a team with just one good line and the rest is inept, so they need depth. Similar to where we were a couple years back. I don’t think McDavid is tradable though. No team would be willing to give up what would be needed to pry him out. We had a hard enough time with Jack. 

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

I agree. Seems funny to say, but we’re further along in our rebuild than the Oilers. I still think they should build around McDavid, but should move Leon for multiple parts. They are a team with just one good line and the rest is inept, so they need depth. Similar to where we were a couple years back. I don’t think McDavid is tradable though. No team would be willing to give up what would be needed to pry him out. We had a hard enough time with Jack. 

Edmonton is the poster child for why you need scouts that can look for & identify players beyond the top 10 slots of the draft and what happens when you don't have them.

14 hours ago, Eleven said:

It may not be true among your friends.  It is true among mine, and if you search either "Risto" or "Ristolainen" in the Flyers subreddit, you will see that it is true there, as well.

Idk about reddit, but if you look around here they're pretty upset about everything, Risto included.

https://www.hockeyforums.net/forum/8-philadelphia-flyers/

General feeling is they need a tear down, much like the feeling was on Risto's last team 🙂

On 1/21/2022 at 6:24 AM, Buffalonill said:

They spoiled ***** when they tried  signing hall  long term instead of Sam

Exactly. Not that they wanted term with Hall, but the mere act of committing the 8 million to him. Smarter move would have been to give that $ to Reinhart and keeping him. Money talks. 

Edited by Thorny

On 1/21/2022 at 9:36 AM, Brawndo said:

They didn’t try to sign Hall long term.  Darren Ferris asked about a longer deal and Adams responded the Sabres were only interested in a one year deal as because of uncertainties of where they were as an organization and with Covid. 

Reinhart should have been signed long term when His ELC was done. 

The point is that the money could have easily been used to entice Sam to stay

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Exactly. Not that they wanted term with Hall, but the mere act of committing the 8 million to him. Smarter move would have been to give that $ to Reinhart and keeping him. Money talks. 

How would using this money to extend Rhino over signing Hall have improved the team over the previous year? Remember, Jack was growing impatient (as well as Terry) day by day and may have already floated the tree idea. We needed to add talent, not maintain it. It didn’t work out, but signing Hall was infusing MVP level talent.

13 minutes ago, kas23 said:

How would using this money to extend Rhino over signing Hall have improved the team over the previous year? Remember, Jack was growing impatient (as well as Terry) day by day and may have already floated the tree idea. We needed to add talent, not maintain it. It didn’t work out, but signing Hall was infusing MVP level talent.

Couldn’t they have afforded both? My contention is it would have been a better play to show Reinhart the money the org had been neglecting to show him, if you could only pick one, though. We wouldn’t have been better last year (though everyone says Hall was terrible) but we’d certainly have more F talent as things stand now. Adams apparently knew Hall was likely temporary so perhaps that’d be the better move. 

Its not revisionist history either. I was posting at the time the Hall signing might represent a choice between the two, or that they’d even potentially be linked going forward.

- - - 

A lot of this is admittedly tough to argue because what Sam actually said, what the organization has said, the fact he was still 2 years from UFA, the fact $ is most often the deciding factor in these things, the fact that if Reino was disenfranchised from the direction of the team the direction could have been different, the fact that we aren’t actually inside Sam’s head, are all seemingly less relevant than what a poster is saying he thinks Sam was thinking. Somehow to a certainty. 

There’s apparently no room for the idea that *perhaps* a GM could have negotiated a deal, we are too, too certain of Sam’s internal dialogue. Adams was merely powerless in the situation.  

Edited by Thorny

23 hours ago, Ducky said:

The Coilers disease starts in upper management. They have made some really bonehead moves and continue to do so.

Nurse gets 9.25m???? Seriously???

That Nurse deal I think is the Killer. He is their version of Risto, but just at a much higher rate.  When I watch the Oilers (I don't do it a lot but a few games a year) he seems to be a very talented guy that makes a few major mistakes a game, and a lot of those mistakes end up in his own net.

I searched a little of their forums a few weeks go and some articles about him, and it seems like 20% of the articles say how great he is, 80% say he is terrible in his own zone, over-rated, and one even suggested he should be traded/cut/released BEFORE he signed his big deal.

17 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

That Nurse deal I think is the Killer. He is their version of Risto, but just at a much higher rate.  When I watch the Oilers (I don't do it a lot but a few games a year) he seems to be a very talented guy that makes a few major mistakes a game, and a lot of those mistakes end up in his own net.

I searched a little of their forums a few weeks go and some articles about him, and it seems like 20% of the articles say how great he is, 80% say he is terrible in his own zone, over-rated, and one even suggested he should be traded/cut/released BEFORE he signed his big deal.

In terms of Nurse, every time I see him he shows his speed and tenacity but he seems to be on the ice for alot of goals against. 

Maybe he's their Dahlin, really good in alot of ways just not fully developed into his upside talent wise yet. 

1 hour ago, Norcal said:

In terms of Nurse, every time I see him he shows his speed and tenacity but he seems to be on the ice for alot of goals against. 

Maybe he's their Dahlin, really good in alot of ways just not fully developed into his upside talent wise yet. 

Darnell Nurse was drafted in 2013 and will be 27 in a couple weeks. He is in his 7th season. 

He's fully developed and he was 23 the last time he topped 40 points. 

He's their Risto

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Darnell Nurse was drafted in 2013 and will be 27 in a couple weeks. He is in his 7th season. 

He's fully developed and he was 23 the last time he topped 40 points. 

He's their Risto

Who's about to be on a deal paying him even more than Skinner for the next 8 years.  Wtf was Holland thinking?

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Who's about to be on a deal paying him even more than Skinner for the next 8 years.  Wtf was Holland thinking?

Usually comes down to the same conditions with these contracts.  They were worried that they would lose Nurse to FA and Defense were all signing nice big contracts last off season.  They also say that the Oilers need to overpay to keep their stars in Edmonton.  Most Sabres fans wanted Skinner signed at the time (but most thought the contract was too much after it was signed).  Buyers remorse.

Ristolainen will get to be a FA this offseason.  It will be fun to see where he signs and for how much.  Maybe he'll sign a short term low dollar contract to see if he can finally sign with a winner.