Around the NHL 2021-22

Doohickie

2 minutes ago, SABRESfan said:

Liking both the Bruins & Canadiens has to be virtually impossible.  I’m sure that some people like both of those teams but I could never begin to understand how.  

My wife is from Montréal (hey, @PASabreFan my ague is showing again ... 😍) and is a real French Canadian beauty, so the Canadiens are my second team.  I remember fondly many games at The Forum.

Anyway, forgot to welcome you ...

Welcome!!  Sent you a beer.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SABRESfan said:

Liking both the Bruins & Canadiens has to be virtually impossible.  I’m sure that some people like both of those teams but I could never begin to understand how.  

Well we have a couple here who adore, follow, fawn and get chubbys over the Bruins. And yet are allegedly Sabres fans. You’ll notice them soon enough. 😂

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SABRESfan said:

I know that liking the Bruins as a Sabres fan is a no no but perhaps to a lesser extent the same is true for the Flyers.  

Bruins are my second team and I'm not afraid to admit it. (It's worth it just to irritate Zamboni, but that's not the reason). Bruins were my first team. 

Back in the 1970s nobody in my house watched hockey. As a little kid I discovered the game on my own and the very first game I ever saw was the Bruins winning the cup. The one with the iconic Bobby Orr flying in the air thing. As a little kid I thought cool team, don't want to be a Leafs fan like most of my friends, it just seemed like being a sheep and they sucked, so that was my team and as little kids do, Orr was my guy. Also, they wore black and gold just like my hometown Hamilton Tiger Cats so it was made to be. 

With televised games locally I discovered the Sabres and fell for that French Connection era team, beating Montreal and so on. Rick Dudley. All that flair and character and that was it, that was my main team and still is. Come playoff time though, lately, fall back to beantown and follow them off and on. Admire the culture and the team comradery. It's a model worth following imo.  

I'm also acquainted with Ken Casey of the Dropkick Murphys, so if I don't support the Bruins at least a little bit he'll razz me about the Sabres forever.

Flyers suck 🙂

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Bruins are my second team and I'm not afraid to admit it. (It's worth it just to irritate Zamboni, but that's not the reason). Bruins were my first team. 

Back in the 1970s nobody in my house watched hockey. As a little kid I discovered the game on my own and the very first game I ever saw was the Bruins winning the cup. The one with the iconic Bobby Orr flying in the air thing. As a little kid I thought cool team, don't want to be a Leafs fan like most of my friends, it just seemed like being a sheep and they sucked, so that was my team and as little kids do, Orr was my guy. Also, they wore black and gold just like my hometown Hamilton Tiger Cats so it was made to be. 

With televised games locally I discovered the Sabres and fell for that French Connection era team, beating Montreal and so on. Rick Dudley. All that flair and character and that was it, that was my main team and still is. Come playoff time though, lately, fall back to beantown and follow them off and on. Admire the culture and the team comradery. It's a model worth following imo.  

I'm also acquainted with Ken Casey of the Dropkick Murphys, so if I don't support the Bruins at least a little bit he'll razz me about the Sabres forever.

Flyers suck 🙂

Ha!  Well it’s tough to argue against the Bruin’s history.  They have plenty of that.  Orr, Esposito, Bourque, Neely… Not a fan of the Canadiens nor the Bruins but as a hockey fan it’s too bad that Montreal is brutal this season.  Those Bruin/Canadien games are always fun to watch.  Rivalries pull a lot of people into a sport.  It’s just that simple.  The passion is contagious and you can’t help wanting to be a part of that.  I will say that Boston lives, breathes and drinks sports.  It’s similar to Philly, NY, Detroit, Buffalo.. the mood of those cities are inspired by how their sports teams are doing. 

and yes.. the Flyers do suck, RIGHT NOW!  But I still love that team.  🤷🏼‍♂️
(Unless they play the Sabres). Philadelphia is my favorite east coast city to visit because of all the historical areas that tie into our Declaration of Independence… and those cheesesteaks man!  Give me Pierogi’s, Wings & Cheesesteaks for the rest of my life and I’ll be a happy man!

The Sabres, Flyers, Bills & Red Sox.  Those are my teams.  I’ve always loved to root for the underdog.  Man I hope the Sabres FO knows what it’s doing right now.  I’m running out of excuses to tell my eight year old.  

1 hour ago, SABRESfan said:

Ha!  Well it’s tough to argue against the Bruin’s history.  They have plenty of that.  Orr, Esposito, Bourque, Neely… Not a fan of the Canadiens nor the Bruins but as a hockey fan it’s too bad that Montreal is brutal this season.  Those Bruin/Canadien games are always fun to watch.  Rivalries pull a lot of people into a sport.  It’s just that simple.  The passion is contagious and you can’t help wanting to be a part of that.  I will say that Boston lives, breathes and drinks sports.  It’s similar to Philly, NY, Detroit, Buffalo.. the mood of those cities are inspired by how their sports teams are doing. 

and yes.. the Flyers do suck, RIGHT NOW!  But I still love that team.  🤷🏼‍♂️
(Unless they play the Sabres). Philadelphia is my favorite east coast city to visit because of all the historical areas that tie into our Declaration of Independence… and those cheesesteaks man!  Give me Pierogi’s, Wings & Cheesesteaks for the rest of my life and I’ll be a happy man!

The Sabres, Flyers, Bills & Red Sox.  Those are my teams.  I’ve always loved to root for the underdog.  Man I hope the Sabres FO knows what it’s doing right now.  I’m running out of excuses to tell my eight year old.  

Red Sox.......but but.........they're from Boston.............. 🙂

Old rivalries were great but they ain't what they used to be. Too much player turnover, too many free agents. Few teams hate each other the way they used to.

I was never a Bills fan, but I used to love watching the Bills Dolphins games back in the day. Regardless of each team's season those games were always good. Not any more though. I guess you hate the Patsies now, but so does everybody. 

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Red Sox.......but but.........they're from Boston.............. 🙂

Old rivalries were great but they ain't what they used to be. Too much player turnover, too many free agents. Few teams hate each other the way they used to.

I was never a Bills fan, but I used to love watching the Bills Dolphins games back in the day. Regardless of each team's season those games were always good. Not any more though. I guess you hate the Patsies now, but so does everybody. 

Agree with your take on rivalries and how things have changed.  Players come and go so often that it becomes mind numbing.  

The Red Sox, Sabres & Bills .. it’s a way of life!!!  I’ve been lucky enough to see the Red Sox win four World Series championships.  Sure it’s sports and at the end of the day it plays second fiddle but man.. winning big games and having memories of great plays in high pressure moments.. that’s what I recall most.  Buffalo needs to experience winning.  Long overdue.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, spndnchz said:

6 games for Spezza. ‘Jumps high horse’

https://apnews.com/article/nhl-sports-toronto-toronto-maple-leafs-winnipeg-jets-d5ddec52540c9b79f91b3219834288b0

Some sympathy for Spezza. If the league was clear on punishment and handed out suspensions when needed than Spezza would not have tried for some in game justice.

7 hours ago, woods-racer said:

https://apnews.com/article/nhl-sports-toronto-toronto-maple-leafs-winnipeg-jets-d5ddec52540c9b79f91b3219834288b0

Some sympathy for Spezza. If the league was clear on punishment and handed out suspensions when needed than Spezza would not have tried for some in game justice.

A knee to the head causing a brain injury is a little bit more than in game justice, isn't it?

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Or maybe that sale to Houston people that came up a few days ago comes through and they move mid-season!

Middle of the night like the Cle Browns? 

That was the off season though. I think?