Around the NHL 2021-22

Doohickie

56 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Fully on board?  What are you okay with for the next couple of years in terms of goaltenders?

Fair question. I don't believe the state of our goaltending is mismanagement or incompetence. I think it's intentional with the end goal being a top three pick that can be part of a young core ready to compete for a playoff run in three years as opposed to a 22nd pick that may contribute in 5-6 years. I think with the talent we have coming we'll have an excellent team in the 23/24 season and beyond. I think if Levi/Portillo/6K prove to not be ready that is when Adam's will bring in a good goalie from the outside. 

I think we finally stumbled into a competent GM and coach. I'm happy with the development I'm seeing. I'm excited by the talent I see coming. I'm hopeful with the surplus of picks we have in the next two drafts and confident they have a team in place who will get the picks right. I'm willing to ride it out a few more years. I think they are finally getting it right. I know I'm in the minority. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Fair question. I don't believe the state of our goaltending is mismanagement or incompetence. I think it's intentional with the end goal being a top three pick that can be part of a young core ready to compete for a playoff run in three years as opposed to a 22nd pick that may contribute in 5-6 years. I think with the talent we have coming we'll have an excellent team in the 23/24 season and beyond. I think if Levi/Portillo/6K prove to not be ready that is when Adam's will bring in a good goalie from the outside. 

I think we finally stumbled into a competent GM and coach. I'm happy with the development I'm seeing. I'm excited by the talent I see coming. I'm hopeful with the surplus of picks we have in the next two drafts and confident they have a team in place who will get the picks right. I'm willing to ride it out a few more years. I think they are finally getting it right. I know I'm in the minority. 

There is a lot to like about this rebuild -- not stripping the roster bare and having a roster of 20 actual NHL players (albeit with most about 1 line/pairing higher than they should be) are two things I prefer over the last one.  However, IMHO, goaltending should be a much higher priority -- even though the analytics deities will smite me with my mathematics degrees.  IMHO, learning you can trust the guy at the back is as much a part of player development as anything else because you are more likely to stay disciplined within the system and not try to overplay your position in a given situation.

• Like (+1) 2

I still think KA dropped the ball on goaltending.   As someone who's played at a high level, if you don't trust your goaltender you've already lost.   You can't play instinctively and free if you feel like you can't let the other team shoot.    It's awful.  Dell should never play another NHL game. 

I don't understand how he can preach about work ethic, heart and wanting to be here, then doesn't even give them a chance with the goaltending situation.   It's just a matter of time before the players mail it in for another lost season.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I don't understand it. Goaltending like the quarterback in football is the most important position in the game. The goaltender affects the outcome of more games (good or bad) than any other position. And yet people on here want nuts and we're upset when we got Lehner and Legwand for our 21st. pick in the first round. Now as it turned out Lehner wasn't good so it was justified. But my point is that why aren't we willing to pay more for a goaltender who could easily have this team running at .500 right now and we would be happy with the progress of this team. But no apparently we can't get a decent goaltender for what ever reason. KA has known this has been a position of need since he became gm. Unfortunately I can only conclude that this is intentional. I agree 100% with pi about players not being able to play how they need to when they don't trust their goalie. This season could have been a good season for us. But no one position sucks and here we are.

• Like (+1) 1

Regret? 

https://sports.yahoo.com/mike-millbury-bruins-higher-ups-224726366.html

"Now they’re going to have to move Ullmark or ride with what they have the rest of the year. I think they’ve limited their options with that signing. You have to live with that. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, and sometimes you pick a bad goalie.”

2 hours ago, Norcal said:

Regret? 

"Now they’re going to have to move Ullmark or ride with what they have the rest of the year. I think they’ve limited their options with that signing. You have to live with that. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, and sometimes you pick a bad goalie.”

I'd take Ullmark back before I'd take Holtby or Koskinen.

I'd make the Bruins retain though. 😁

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Norcal said:

Regret? 

Weren't they going to lose Vladar in the expansion draft so they traded him instead? Not sure. 

The better question would be why didn't KA give them a 3rd rounder for Vladar? We have a pretty good precedent in turning a Czech gaolie into a star after all. 

15 hours ago, Norcal said:

Regret? 

were the millers no ragrets GIF

Tkachuk responding to the Lemieux incident.

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

Not sure how he can step on the ice after that ever again 

I mean let’s not go overboard. It’s disgusting and gutless but not a lifelong suspension kind of thing. Guys have bit and been bitten before. It should be a really long suspension but not lifelong.

The lifelong suspension for Lemieux should be the fact that he’s just not a good hockey player and appears to be someone who doesn’t play well in the locker room either.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Not sure how he can step on the ice after that ever again 

47 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I mean let’s not go overboard. It’s disgusting and gutless but not a lifelong suspension kind of thing. Guys have bit and been bitten before. It should be a really long suspension but not lifelong.

The lifelong suspension for Lemieux should be the fact that he’s just not a good hockey player and appears to be someone who doesn’t play well in the locker room either.

I’m fairly certain triumph was referring to Lemieux’s dignity not any sort of suspension.  Of course the league will slap him on the wrist.  The NHL doesn’t punish players for being dirty, they practically reward it. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

I never said suspension. I don’t see how teammates or other players will let him coexist.

• Like (+1) 2