Around the NHL 2021-22

Doohickie

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

Yea I find that odd too. As odd as the Boston firing.

I don't find either odd myself. These are teams that have set the bar very high and demand more than just a good season. It's a high standard, but I'd love it if one day the Sabres could become a team with a bar set that high too. 

Paul Maurice is a good coach. It's a good hire. 

Boston's choice might be hinging on Bergeron. They can't decide if they want to go for it again (if Bergeron returns) or move into rebuild, and the coaching choice might be related to that decision. 

5 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Interesting.

Guess ownership/ management wasn't impressed with the way they slept walked through the 1st period of many games down the stretch.  At least they didn't leave him stranded w/ no ride to Trudeau nor Mirabel. 😉

Maurice is a good coach.  Curious to see how this works out. 

On 6/21/2022 at 7:15 PM, Brawndo said:

The shade 

You sure that Ron Jeremy didn’t stand in for Auston Matthews? Or did that one blow right by you?

Edited by FogBat

17 hours ago, Weave said:

Brian Campbell?  *That* Brian Campbell?

Apparently so, from Wikipedia:

On July 17, 2017, Campbell announced his retirement, but also that he would join the Blackhawks' business operations department where he will be assisting with various marketing, community relations, and youth hockey initiatives.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, nucci said:

Hockey is weird....coaches just rotate around the league every 3-4 years. Get fired and another teams hires you

Yes. but life isn't always so great for them. I think the NHL colludes by keeping their yearly raises to a million or two. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, nucci said:

Hockey is weird....coaches just rotate around the league every 3-4 years. Get fired and another teams hires you

Well, yes and no. Teams keep hiring Lindy Ruff. SFAIK, no one will touch Ralph Krueger with a ten foot pole.

39 minutes ago, nucci said:

right, but Trotz, Cassidy, Tortorella, DeBoer...etc

GMs and Owners know their game plans and history and feel that they are or aren't the right fit for the team they have assembled and hire accordingly. Bringing in new blood is inherently a higher risk. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Lance once joked that apparently there are only 40 or so people on Earth qualified to be NHL head coaches.

Consider there are fewer than 30 people qualified to be a #1 C in the NHL.  Is it all that far fetched to think that people qualified to be good coaches at the same level are equally rare?

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

And people wanted to give up  Assets for this loser 

Not sure this makes him a loser, would you want to play in Winnipeg for your career if you could be paid big to go south? I wouldn't. He's definitely a me first guy, but if he said he'd love to play in Buffalo I'd be all for it. 

7 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Wrong Soupy, my friend.

It's Clarence Soupy Campbell that's got his name all over that trophy.

It was thinly vailed attempt at some chunky soup humor, served in a big (really big) silver cup with a lid. The lid keeps it hot.

image.thumb.png.dca38d683cf6e7c87ca617bc031ebca8.png

• Like (+1) 1