Around the NHL 2021-22

Doohickie

17 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

It will be a really interesting offseason in Calgary. That was not the way they expected their season to end. Gaudreau, Tkachuk and other need new deals. Markstrom crapped the bed against Edmonton. Will have to see how it all plays out.

The Flames didn't win, but I think it comes down to 2 (maybe 3) players. Markstrong, Hanifan, and McDavid.  McDavid did what he always does. When you beat Edmonton in a series you don't have to STOP McDavid (which is very hard to do), but you have to limit him in key areas/times (which is hard to do BUT possible). The Flames did not do the 2nd one well.

Markstrom didn't look great in the Edmonton series, He needs to be better in big moments.  The one player I thought was Awful when I was watching was Noah Hannifan.  He single handedly was out of position or made bad plays that caused goals against Calgary. Not just the Edmonton series but the whole playoffs.  I don't know how injured he was playing (if at all) but from what I saw if he would have played better that might have changed the outlook of the entire series for Calgary.  Plus I know he is a D-man, but 3 assists in 12 playoff games for someone who is your $5 millon per year D-man on your first pair is not going to cut it.

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

It will be a really interesting offseason in Calgary. That was not the way they expected their season to end. Gaudreau, Tkachuk and other need new deals. Markstrom crapped the bed against Edmonton. Will have to see how it all plays out.

Don't think they can pay Tkachuck, Gaudreau and Mangiapane 🙂

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Don't think they can pay Tkachuck, Gaudreau and Mangiapane 🙂

I could see a team offering Tkachuk a big offer sheet.

Most likely at the behest of his family to get him closer to home. 

I'll be looking forward to this.

At the height of the Wings-Avs rivalry I'd been living in Detroit several years.  My wife and I were big-time Red Wings fans.  The last time went to a home game for a team I was rooting for was in Detroit (I haven't watched the Sabres play in Buffalo since the 1970s.)  Early in my career I lived in cities that couldn't care less about hockey (Los Angeles in the mid 80s) or didn't have an NHL team (Fort Worth, part of the Dallas market through the early 90s).  I moved to Detroit in 1991 and at the time Detoit had a love-hate relationship with the Red Wings.  The loved Stevie Y and many of the other players, but were tired of not getting past the first round of the playoffs.  They were especially hard on goalies, literally booing some of them off the team.  I watched them ascend from being just another easy mark in the playoffs to winning the Cup in 1997.  I touched the Cup the day they won the Cup (it was on display in downtown Detroit that day).

I remember going to a bar near my house to watch the Wings-Avs game where the Wings took some revenge after Claude Lemieux had broken Kris Draper's face along the boards the previous season.  That game launched the Wings on their Stanly Cup run; they were on a mission after that.

So yeah, I'm looking forward to this show.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/28/2022 at 10:27 AM, Norcal said:

Say what you want about him but 11 points in 7 playoff games on a bum hip. Sabres need that sort of warrior. 

Having said that (sure to be scoffed at comment) Bruins falling fast, that's the playoff spot we can shoot for. 

• Like (+1) 1

Can anyone else not stand the Rangers? The Sabres don't even really have a rivalry with them but they're near the top of my most disliked teams/fanbases for a few reasons.

1. The whole "untouchable" prospect thing when Eichel was being traded. Just super homerish and annoying.

2. As someone from NYC it seems like the percentage of their fanbase that is fairweather/not die hard is large compared to other teams in the league. This wouldn't be a big deal except for the fact that these "fans" are often loud and annoying.

3. The team's rise to success isn't as a result of homegrown talent or taking their lumps at the bottom of the standings like the Sabres have done. Panarin, a player that signed with them because of the advantageous position they have in a big market and great city, is their best player -- this is some NBA garbage. They also won 2 draft lotteries even though they definitely shouldn't have (yes, I know Kakko and Lafreniere suck, but still).

4. They progressed through the first round essentially due to a (up for debate) dirty hit on Crosby. They rely too heavily on Shesterkin, but luckily don't seem to be getting punished for it.

I really hope they lose tonight, even if it means Carolina wins.

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, NAF said:

Can anyone else not stand the Rangers? The Sabres don't even really have a rivalry with them but they're near the top of my most disliked teams/fanbases for a few reasons.

1. The whole "untouchable" prospect thing when Eichel was being traded. Just super homerish and annoying.

2. As someone from NYC it seems like the percentage of their fanbase that is fairweather/not die hard is large compared to other teams in the league. This wouldn't be a big deal except for the fact that these "fans" are often loud and annoying.

3. The team's rise to success isn't as a result of homegrown talent or taking their lumps at the bottom of the standings like the Sabres have done. Panarin, a player that signed with them because of the advantageous position they have in a big market and great city, is their best player -- this is some NBA garbage. They also won 2 draft lotteries even though they definitely shouldn't have (yes, I know Kakko and Lafreniere suck, but still).

4. They progressed through the first round essentially due to a (up for debate) dirty hit on Crosby. They rely too heavily on Shesterkin, but luckily don't seem to be getting punished for it.

All of this, and they bought that Cup in 1994, too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

but that city can sink into the ocean for all I care

This is a separate issue and I'm right there with you on this one, too.  That city is a SLOG.  Everything is difficult and filthy and loud.  I don't even like visiting it.  Give me Chicago over NYC any day.

40 minutes ago, Eleven said:

This is a separate issue and I'm right there with you on this one, too.  That city is a SLOG.  Everything is difficult and filthy and loud.  I don't even like visiting it.  Give me Chicago over NYC any day.

You don't like giant sized rats running over your feet midday, while loudmouth people with an undeserved ego make chaos and rush you over on the street, all while paying 75 dollars for a beer because you're in the mecca known as Manhattan? 

Cmon man, how dare you?! 

6 hours ago, NAF said:

1.  Maybe Drury knew what Jack was worth and was negotiating based on the value he saw.

2. NYC/ Bos/ Toronto - all big city fans are annoying.

3. Rangers have more drafted players on their roster than Tampa or Carolina, not including Fox and Giorgiev who weren’t drafted by the Rangers but you could say are home grown.

4. agreed.

I dislike both organizations but just hate Carolina a little bit more.  The original 6 things plays a small factor in the Rangers favor and of course the 2006 playoffs and me paying up on a $100 bet against a North Carolinian whom I was working with at the time sets it over the edge.  

Does it matter? Is anyone going to solve Vasilevskiy?

• Like (+1) 1

Draft and FA dates…

Thursday, June 30 - Last Possible Day of Stanley Cup Final

Thursday, July 7 - Round 1 of 2022 NHL Draft

Friday, July 8 - Rounds 2-7 of 2022 NHL Draft

Wednesday, July 13 - RFA/UFA Signing Period Begins (12 p.m. ET)

• Thanks (+1) 5