Around the NHL 2021-22

Doohickie

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I know he's not all that, but sure wish we'd managed to hold onto this guy and let Bjork go instead. Would have fit in nicely with Fitz and Joker until we got another RHD. 

https://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/n265325

Maybe you know the following and just mean the Sabres should have found a way via a trade to keep Borgen and move Bjork to Seattle instead.  If so, then I too would have been happy had we kept Borgen somehow. For anyone reading who is unaware though, it was not a choice between Borgen and Bjork.

The Sabres chose the option of protecting 7 forwards and 3 defencemen (10 skaters in total: Eichel, Reinhart, Olofsson, Mittelstadt, Thompson, Asplund, Bjork, Dahlin, Joker and Risto). They had the option of protecting additional defencemen but it would have meant only being allowed to protect 8 skaters; meaning protecting Borgen would have required them to expose 3 additional forwards.

Bjork for Borgen?  Sure.

Asplund for Borgen?  Maybe, but a bad trade-off in my view.

Olofsson or Mittelstadt or Thompson for Borgen?  Oh my!

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

The concept of Will Borgen is something that will never die around here.

Guy has yet to play 50 NHL games and turns 26 this year.

But but but he like hits n stuff! He’s awesome! 😏 I HAD high hopes for the kid, 2-3 years ago. Not anymore. If he was gonna make a positive impact he would have done it already. He’s a decent #6/7 on the depth chart on most teams.

Keywords: decent and most teams.

5 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

Maybe you know the following and just mean the Sabres should have found a way via a trade to keep Borgen and move Bjork to Seattle instead.  If so, then I too would have been happy had we kept Borgen somehow. For anyone reading who is unaware though, it was not a choice between Borgen and Bjork.

The Sabres chose the option of protecting 7 forwards and 3 defencemen (10 skaters in total: Eichel, Reinhart, Olofsson, Mittelstadt, Thompson, Asplund, Bjork, Dahlin, Joker and Risto). They had the option of protecting additional defencemen but it would have meant only being allowed to protect 8 skaters; meaning protecting Borgen would have required them to expose 3 additional forwards.

Bjork for Borgen?  Sure.

Asplund for Borgen?  Maybe, but a bad trade-off in my view.

Olofsson or Mittelstadt or Thompson for Borgen?  Oh my!

I know how the rule worked, but I would have left Bjork unprotected, dangling him out there hoping that a team with a plethora of D men available might have grabbed the forward instead. If they'd still taken Borgen you live with it, but we didn't really have anyone else on offer worth looking at (at the time). 

Might also have considered trading back for him. They dumped Lauzon off for a second rounder because they had too many D men. A deal for Borgen without giving anything substantial away might have been possible. Just sayin, water under the bridge now. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I expected the Sabres to be picking 24+ with that pick. Top 16 would be a lot better.

Same here. VGK have been hammered by injuries this year, so obviously that's impacted them this season, but the long term prognosis is kind of grim. They have an aging core, are salary cap strapped and don't have much of a prospect pool. I always kinda thought them grabbing Eichel was a Hail Mary for this season; turns out it likely is a whiff. Pretty good chance Jack is in on the ground floor of another rebuild.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

That Lehner drama must be affecting morale.

32 Thoughts made it sound even more like the issues with Lehner here. According to them, Lehner didn't like the criticism his play was getting and so he told them it was because of his injury and he was shutting it down for the surgery, but then the agent got in and talks happened and maybe he will dress for the next game after all. Whatever the full story, can't be good going forward. He's a moody guy, and the bright lights of Vegas seem to be getting to him. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

That you to the panthers and kings for turning my 5 bucks into 300🍺 I love me some draft kings lol. 

I would love to see Vegas lose tonight, I don't think they will, but that would nearly eliminate them. Vancouver was a nice story, but they just don't have it in them. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Sabres could realistically enter the draft lottery w/ no better than the 11th best odds of winning it.  And if they win their last 2, difficult but doable, they'll end up with no better than the 9th best odds.  Bye David Jiricek.  We hardly knew ye.  😪

Wonder if the Sabres would take him at 2?

7 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I wonder if we could get Marcus Foligno back next year.    The wild only have 8 mill in cap space. 
Fiala alone will eat that up so they will need to clear some salary.

I'd love that, but I doubt it. A little heart and soul toughness is just what this team could use to add to the talent of the youngsters. They love him there though, so I doubt he's a guy they'd move out. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'd love that, but I doubt it. A little heart and soul toughness is just what this team could use to add to the talent of the youngsters. They love him there though, so I doubt he's a guy they'd move out. 

Maybe D-Lo wants to be 13-15th F designated to beat people up?

• Like (+1) 2