Around the NHL 2021-22

Doohickie

7 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Russians spell Canada Kanata.

We spell Italy and they spell it Italia, Roma, Milano.

Countries spell it their own way, not the way they spell it.

Wait until they hear how Germany spells its name!

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

It's not just a spelling difference.  It's a language difference.  Kyiv (pronounced Keev) is Ukranian.  Kiev is Russian.

Yeah, I basically said that in the post you quoted.

My point was that this is an extremely common thing (place names spelled differently in different languages.  It’s not a Russia-Ukraine thing.

If we want to be really serious, then the word “Kiev” is certainly not Russian.  Russian uses an entirely different alphabet.  It’s the Russian alphabet spelling transcribed into the Latin alphabet, which is an in exact science anyway.

By all means, Latin alphabet users should spell it the way that Ukraine requests.  But the spelling difference isn’t something that Russia created in order to diminish Ukraine.  It’s a super common thing that happens with place names worldwide.

• Like (+1) 2

Probably wrong thread but ***** it.  Best way to go to a game?  Buy cheapest in the 100s and just move to better seats?  Is it even possible to move to other seats?  Buy cheapest in shoot twice section?  Thanks in advance. 

5 hours ago, Indabuff said:

Probably wrong thread but ***** it.  Best way to go to a game?  Buy cheapest in the 100s and just move to better seats?  Is it even possible to move to other seats?  Buy cheapest in shoot twice section?  Thanks in advance. 

Definitely wrong thread. This thread is for explaining how different countries spell or pronounce their name. 

• Haha (+1) 4

11 hours ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

Turkey is English.

Türkiye is Turkish.

This move maked sense.  That is always the way it has been in Turkey Türkiye.

I have a shirt from Istanbul with Türkiye on it from 2008.

You mean Constantinople.

😉

• Haha (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Indabuff said:

I've been buying cheap 300s and just sitting basically anywhere I want, the barn is so empty this year it almost doesn't matter. 

I used to do this back when they were good, but I'd sit in my cheap seats for the 1st while scoping out any potential openings to move to, made sure it remained empty and then moved during 1st intermission. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Indabuff said:

Buy cheap 300's and then move down.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

The Red Wings waived RHD Danny DeKeyser (final year of $5M). That contract (and its modified NTC!) aged poorly the instant the ink dried. Juolevi was picked up on waivers over the weekend and the cleared cap space allows them to dress Jakub Vrana.

While it'd be good for DeKeyser to keep cashing the checks, I wonder if he elects to not report to Grand Rapids, allowing the Red Wings to terminate the contract and then he can sign with any Cup contender he chooses for minimum salary, similar to what Bogosian did a few years back.

How does it impact the Sabres? It doesn't. However, if he skips on the AHL and becomes available on a terminated contract it lowers the trade value of a RHD Colin Miller type, although you wouldn't count on DeKeyser to play the point on a PP2.

42 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Not so fast. The 1st we got from them is top-10 protected. We need them to be just outside the top 10. But, no more. 

Indeed.  But landing, say, pick #14 from them this June instead of #27 would be an unexpected boon.  

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/7/2022 at 12:25 AM, The Ghost of Yuri said:

You mean Constantinople.

😉

The Ottoman Turks were happy using that name, but the Turkish ... Konstantiniyye.

A variant of Istanbul (I Stan Bul ... literally *in the city* was used by locals for many years to mean they were in the or going to the city ... meaning inside the city walls).

The name Istanbul came about in 1930 (or thereabouts) with the birth of the Republic of Turkey (Türkiye) and only when the Turkish Post Office officially changed the name.  It was not even an act of the govenment / president.

People think that there is some big deal between Muslims and Christians concerning the name change and it's simply not true.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

The Ottoman Turks were happy using that name, but the Turkish ... Konstantiniyye.

A variant of Istanbul (I Stan Bul ... literally *in the city* was used by locals for many years to mean they were in the or going to the city ... meaning inside the city walls).

The name Istanbul came about in 1930 (or thereabouts) with the birth of the Republic of Turkey (Türkiye) and only when the Turkish Post Office officially changed the name.  It was not even an act of the govenment / president.

People think that there is some big deal between Muslims and Christians concerning the name change and it's simply not true.

I do wish they had left it; it was a cool name

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

I wonder if the local population had essentially renamed it in common language prior to the official name change (like, if *no one* called it Konstantiniyye, and only referred to it as I Stan Bul.  If it was so pervasive the post office was merely acknowledging that.

13 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I wonder if the local population had essentially renamed it in common language prior to the official name change (like, if *no one* called it Konstantiniyye, and only referred to it as I Stan Bul.  If it was so pervasive the post office was merely acknowledging that.

Apparently, one of the Ottoman Sultans along the way started using *Islambol*, but only in very local settings and nothing official.  He was a bit out there shall I say.

I think the locals really only used I Stan Bul over the years.  Probably even during the Roman years when it officially became Constantinople when Emperor Constantine named it after himself.  Apparently, he was way out there too.

+++++

Anyway, back to the topic at hand ... anything going on around the NHL.

I think I heard the Ovi has tied someone for #2 (I think #2, maybe it's #3) on the all time goal list.

59 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

Apparently, one of the Ottoman Sultans along the way started using *Islambol*, but only in very local settings and nothing official.  He was a bit out there shall I say.

I think the locals really only used I Stan Bul over the years.  Probably even during the Roman years when it officially became Constantinople when Emperor Constantine named it after himself.  Apparently, he was way out there too.

+++++

Anyway, back to the topic at hand ... anything going on around the NHL.

I think I heard the Ovi has tied someone for #2 (I think #2, maybe it's #3) on the all time goal list.

OV tied Jagr for third place with 766.

Jagr hosted that Czech league game at O2 in Prague yesterday. Proceeds go to Ukrainian refugees. I bought some virtual tickets to help out. The NHL donated $68K.

I was a little apprehensive buying stuff with my credit card with Czech directions but got through it.

• Like (+1) 1