Around the NHL 2021-22

Doohickie

50 minutes ago, Dreams Burn Down said:

I wish that Jim Matheson was here to question our players after some of our losses and efforts over the last decade.  That was a delightfully uncomfortable exchange.

I'd never talk to Jim again if I were Draisaitl. You don't like his answer, fine. To call him pissy not once but twice like your scolding a child is unprofessional and bush league regardless of if Draisaitl was being those. There's clearly a history with this reporter, reminds me of some Sabres guys and reporters. 

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd never talk to Jim again if I were Draisaitl. You don't like his answer, fine. To call him pissy not once but twice like your scolding a child is unprofessional and bush league regardless of if Draisaitl was being those. There's clearly a history with this reporter, reminds me of some Sabres guys and reporters. 

I agree.  The relationship between reporters and players go two ways.  Both sides want respect for the job they are trying to do.  The Sabres have had player / reporter issues in the past too with the Dominik Hasek / Jim Kelley one being one of the hottest.

Edited by Digger
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

The ceremony in Boston last evening was fabulous.

I think that #22 should be retired league wide.  With a banner raised in each arena.

The honors he’s received are appropriate. But its not comparable to Jackie Robinson.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

The ceremony in Boston last evening was fabulous.

I think that #22 should be retired league wide.  With a banner raised in each arena.

Knowing how far that the NHL has lagged behind the greater sporting world with regard to racial inclusion, this honor was as necessary as it was appropriate.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

So, Draisatl is ok to dismiss a legitimate question by saying "you know everything"? I can think of a lot more pointed questions that could have been asked than the one he got. For Christs sake it wasn't even that tough a question. Pick one thing the team needs to be better at, if you don't want to be seen as throwing others under the bus pick something you think you can be better at, say so, answer the question and move on.

A much more uncomfortable question would have been something like "Leon, this team has lost for your whole career while your individual numbers have been fantastic. What disconnect do you see between your own personal performance and your teams success?"

Have fun with that question Leon.

I can't agree with you more.  Draisaitl started it.

12 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

As usual our universes are in complete disagreement. Players aren't accountable enough these days imo and there needs to be more direct questions and they need to be called out. Why show up at all for a press conference if all you're going to say is we have to be better at everything. Draisaitl's attitude shows me why that team might be doing so badly. All fine in the fair weather, lacking character when it counts. 

3 hours ago, Norcal said:

Satisfying first period spanking of the bs last night courtesy of the Canes.

Caught it on replay on nhl network with bs announcers as a bonus.

What a morning treat with my coffee. 

Carolina looked really good. Bruins looked old and slow. 

22 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

As usual our universes are in complete disagreement. Players aren't accountable enough these days imo and there needs to be more direct questions and they need to be called out. Why show up at all for a press conference if all you're going to say is we have to be better at everything. Draisaitl's attitude shows me why that team might be doing so badly. All fine in the fair weather, lacking character when it counts. 

Matheson knew exactly what he was doing. He was trying to prod Leon the Professional into throwing his goaltending under the bus. 

He was after a sound bite, Drai was wise to it, nothing more. Matheson shouldn’t be so soft.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Matheson knew exactly what he was doing. He was trying to prod Leon the Professional into throwing his goaltending under the bus. 

He was after a sound bite, Drai was wise to it, nothing more. Matheson shouldn’t be so soft.

Of course he was, and that's his job too, but the response is still bad. What would Gretzky have done in an Edmonton interview? He would have said he has to be better. That's the right evasive answer. 

45 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

It was glorious. Since the final score only ended up 7-1 I'm sure the bs probably played much better after the first but fortunately I'd already moved on.