Around the NHL 2021-22

Doohickie

34 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

The most baffling part of this whole "rebuild" is that the Rangers, Ducks, Kings and Sharks are already light years ahead of Buffalo. It only took those teams 2 years to get back on track and Buffalo continues to get worse every year.

Sharks are “light years” ahead?
(Looks at record this year, last year, year before that)

Explain.

"Timo Meier added a historic chapter to what’s already been a special season for him, setting San Jose's franchise record with five goals in a game."

5 goals in a game is pretty impressive.  1st period hat trick.  Nice to see this from time to time.  I think that they would really miss Hertl if they move him.

Also a nice little fight with Lemieux and Viel.

Edited by Digger

13 minutes ago, Digger said:

"Timo Meier added a historic chapter to what’s already been a special season for him, setting San Jose's franchise record with five goals in a game."

5 goals in a game is pretty impressive.  1st period hat trick.  Nice to see this from time to time.  I think that they would really miss Hertl if they move him.

Also a nice little fight with Lemieux and Viel.

Andreychuk's fiver against the Bruins in 1986 is still one of my favorite Sabre memories.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Sharks are “light years” ahead?
(Looks at record this year, last year, year before that)

Explain.

They are in a playoff spot nearly 20 points ahead of Buffalo. To me, that is light years. Buffalo has been at least 20 points out of 8th place by end of December 3 or 4 years in a row. That is literally 4 months minimum of meaningless hockey played in this city. I am actually shocked the the building is not more empty right now.

9 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

They are in a playoff spot nearly 20 points ahead of Buffalo. To me, that is light years. Buffalo has been at least 20 points out of 8th place by end of December 3 or 4 years in a row. That is literally 4 months minimum of meaningless hockey played in this city. I am actually shocked the the building is not more empty right now.

Ok. It’s terminology. I just don’t consider the sharks light years. Especially when looking at short term things like 20 points ahead at this particular snapshot in time. Looking at their overall record this year last year and the year before. I just don’t view them as the term “light years” ahead in rebuilding. I guess I would just use that term a little more conservatively then you like to.  Agree to disagree… all good 👍🏼

28 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

The Pacific division is pretty weak this season for the Sharks but I understand the point that you're trying to make to a point.

I'm not sure that I would agree that SJ has gone into a rebuild in the typical definition.  Look at their roster.  Lots of veterans still on the roster.  Maybe LA might be a better team to compare with.  I really think looking at team rebuilds is an interesting topic to analyse.  How does the Sabres continuous rebuild compare with others that have successfully rebuilt?  The easy point is that other teams have managed to keep their talented draft picks (Eichel, Reinhart, etc) on their roster during the rebuild and complete it (at least back to competitive hockey) in a shorter time frame than what we are trying to do.  I know there's lots of reasons why we keep failing (changing GM's and vision at the forefront and others).

4 minutes ago, Digger said:

The Pacific division is pretty weak this season for the Sharks but I understand the point that you're trying to make to a point.

I'm not sure that I would agree that SJ has gone into a rebuild in the typical definition.  Look at their roster.  Lots of veterans still on the roster.  Maybe LA might be a better team to compare with.  I really think looking at team rebuilds is an interesting topic to analyse.  How does the Sabres continuous rebuild compare with others that have successfully rebuilt?  The easy point is that other teams have managed to keep their talented draft picks (Eichel, Reinhart, etc) on their roster during the rebuild and complete it (at least back to competitive hockey) in a shorter time frame than what we are trying to do.  I know there's lots of reasons why we keep failing (changing GM's and vision at the forefront and others).

I was think that Colorado was a semi good comparable to what Buffalo is going through.  They had a very long rebuild with multiple stumbles.  They traded away multiple highly drafted, talented players while trying to find the right mix (Duschene, O’Reilly, Barrie).  They churned through multiple coaches as well.  

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

I was think that Colorado was a semi good comparable to what Buffalo is going through.  They had a very long rebuild with multiple stumbles.  They traded away multiple highly drafted, talented players while trying to find the right mix (Duschene, O’Reilly, Barrie).  They churned through multiple coaches as well.  

That's a great comparable Curt.  When you go through their roster and see the players that they drafted and others that are contributing that came over in trades with some of their veterans.  Might be a good thread if someone wants to look at team rebuilds for comparison. 

7 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

The most baffling part of this whole "rebuild" is that the Rangers, Ducks, Kings and Sharks are already light years ahead of Buffalo. It only took those teams 2 years to get back on track and Buffalo continues to get worse every year.

The Sabres don’t build with the aim of becoming a winning team and making the playoffs, they long-form rebuild with an eye on building a Stanley Cup contender. Making the playoffs hasn’t been deemed a worthy goal, imo. 

YMMV.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

MEIER!!

😎

(sighting)

Damn!!  All the good ones that got away.  

I am surprised that he is not a French Canadian.  Sure he can speak French, but I don't think the Habs have ever had an English GM.

Sam Pollock was GM there for most of the 70’s run.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Brian Burke, maybe?

I know it has happened before.  Not sure if Burke is the right name though.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Brian Burke, maybe?

I know it has happened before.  Not sure if Burke is the right name though.

Gillis ?

• Like (+1) 2