Around the NHL 2021-22

Doohickie

11 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I was at a game where the Rags did this against the Sabres.

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Wonder what happens when Rask returns?

I hope Ullmark likes New York System and coffee milk.

I wanted to see how the 2 time Stanley Cup champion Lightning were built.

For you analytics guys, this isn’t a deep dive into numbers.

The roster was not turned over much in those two years. 21 players were on both teams, so I used those guys for my data.

10 of the 21 were their own draft picks. Kucherov, Stamkos, Point, Hedman, Killorn, Cirelli, Palat, Vasilevskiy, Joseph, Stephens.

2 were undrafted but signed by Tampa, Johnson and Gourde.

3 were signed as UFAs, Maroon, Schenn and McIlhinney.

6 were acquired via trades, McDonagh, Sergachev, Coleman, Goodrow, Cernak, Rutta. Goodrow and Rutta were undrafted.

Draft position of players:

1st round - 6

2nd round - 3

3rd round - 4

4th round - 1

5th round - 0

6th round - 2

7th round - 1

Drafting a core of Vasilevskiy, Kucherov, Point, Hedman and Stamkos was huge. Kucherov was a 2nd while Point was a 3rd rounder. Good support players in Cirelli and Killorn in the 3rd round. Palat was a steal in the 7th.

UFA impact was negligible, Maroon is a good role player and probably a “glue” guy in the room, having won 3 in a row.

Trades rounded out the roster well, McDonagh and Sergachev being 1st rounders too.

This to me is a great example of draft and develop, trade to fill in some gaps.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

They wanted to sign him during summer, almost had a deal but he went back to NCAA, then the canes had a couple goalies go out long term.

The guy is 24. He played for Michigan in 2016 and 2017 went to Georgetown Jr A for a year then transferred to Minnesota the past 3 years. Why was he still in college?

4 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

The guy is 24. He played for Michigan in 2016 and 2017 went to Georgetown Jr A for a year then transferred to Minnesota the past 3 years. Why was he still in college?

His choice ? hurricanes apparently see him as a back up option maybe 1B.   They are actually pretty high on him.