Around the NHL 2021-22

Doohickie

10 hours ago, SwampD said:

I will say, that if I was in Vegas, shrimmilled up on somethin’ tasty, all Hunter S. Thompson style, I would love the GK’s game presentation.

If I lived anywhere else and had to sit through that to watch an NHL game, I think it would be really annoying. That arena announcer is brutal.

I went to see the Sabres in Vegas during their first season.  The PA(Monster Truck Guy) announcer was so far over the top it was embarrassing.  I have to believe even the home team fans find this clown annoying. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yep.  If the skate stays on the ice through the ENTIRE "kicking motion" it's a good goal.  

that's nearly impossible to determine. Was the skate lifted last night? The blades are rockered. Can my heel be down and the toe be straight up?  Turning your skate could easily cause your blade to be raised a fraction of an inch. This seems like the offside replay where refs are looking at toes instead of holding to the spirit of the rule.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, SDS said:

that's nearly impossible to determine. Was the skate lifted last night? The blades are rockered. Can my heel be down and the toe be straight up?  Turning your skate could easily cause your blade to be raised a fraction of an inch. This seems like the offside replay where refs are looking at toes instead of holding to the spirit of the rule.

Yeah, they changed the offside rule because it was too difficult to determine if the skate was actually on the ice when the puck crossed.

46 minutes ago, SDS said:

that's nearly impossible to determine. Was the skate lifted last night? The blades are rockered. Can my heel be down and the toe be straight up?  Turning your skate could easily cause your blade to be raised a fraction of an inch. This seems like the offside replay where refs are looking at toes instead of holding to the spirit of the 

Never said the entirety of the blade needs to be in contact w/ the ice.  If any part of the blade is on the ice, it is on the ice.  If none of it is, then it isn't.  The blade needs to touch the ice through the entire motion.  If it doesn't, then it's a kick.  What if it's too close to say?  Well, you default 1 way or the other.  Personally would default to that being "no goal" but could see a case for going the other way.  Either way set that in writing ahead of time.  Again, the point of the rule is player safety.  And unless we're talking Chara vs Gerbe, there's no way a guy is cutting another player's leg if a portion of the blade is on the ice. 

And if your toe is in the air, you aren't making much contact w/ the puck; blades being rockered and all. 😉

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Never said the entirety of the blade needs to be in contact w/ the ice.  If any part of the blade is on the ice, it is on the ice.  If none of it is, then it isn't.  The blade needs to touch the ice through the entire motion.  If it doesn't, then it's a kick.  What if it's too close to say?  Well, you default 1 way or the other.  Personally would default to that being "no goal" but could see a case for going the other way.  Either way set that in writing ahead of time.  Again, the point of the rule is player safety.  And unless we're talking Chara vs Gerbe, there's no way a guy is cutting another player's leg if a portion of the blade is on the ice. 

And if your toe is in the air, you aren't making much contact w/ the puck; blades being rockered and all. 😉

Goalies are routinely laying on the ice.  And in your scenario I could literally kick the puck forward using my toe while picking up nearly the entire the blade off the ice while still keeping the heel on it.

1 minute ago, SDS said:

Goalies are routinely laying on the ice.  And in your scenario I could literally kick the puck forward using my toe while picking up nearly the entire the blade off the ice while still keeping the heel on it.

Try that kick next time you're on the ice and see just how little force you can actually get on the puck and how little control of the puck you get while making sure the blade doesn't break contact w/ the ice.

The league already allows goals to be scored off kicked pucks - everybody knows that.  It's just that motion isn't "distinct" which is a huge weasel word.

And, if you really want to, though expect it is unneccesary, you can add a stipulation that if additionally any part of the blade is more than a puck's thickness off the ice, no goal.  And if it isn't readily apparent whether it was 1" or 2" off the ice, it defaults to a predetermined outcome (either good goal or no goal, just have that decided ahead of time).

It doesn't have to be complicated & it removes the discretionary ruling of what was the player's intent.  Was he trying to kick or was he just stopping/ changing direction?  Don't care.  Was the skate on the ice?  Yep.  Good goal.  Nope, ok, no goal.

I still think it was a good goal.

His kick wasn't to propell the puck, it was to get where the puck would be to deflect it. If he wouldn't have followed through with the kick after it was already deflected, nobody would think he kicked it in. imo

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

I still think it was a good goal.

His kick wasn't to propell the puck, it was to get where the puck would be to deflect it. If he wouldn't have followed through with the kick after it was already deflected, nobody would think he kicked it in. imo

That’s a great point. But is it a distinction without a difference?

23 minutes ago, SDS said:

That’s a great point. But is it a distinction without a difference?

Just looked it up.

Rule 49.2
A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who uses a distinct kicking motion to propel the puck into the net. A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who kicks a puck that deflects into the net off any player, goalkeeper or official.

I would say there is a difference

28 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Maybe Bylsma doesn't get enough credit? Feels like Sullivan has been there forever.

Bylsma was a better coach than many give him credit for, imo. And he was just the first coach that a certain core group decided to quit on. 

52 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Leafs and Canadians tonight. Will Jake Allen play both games? Hmmm...we might get their third string tomorrow? 

Just asking for a friend 

Good point.  Yes I agree that we will most likely get Montembeault.  Hope we play well and their goalie plays poorly for the Sabres win.

Edited by Digger
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Now wait for the Risto hit highlight reels. 

Yeah but he had those in Buffalo too.

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

Ducks 1st rounder in ‘21 Mason McTavish has 1G 1A in his debut.

Maybe Zegras is expendable?

At this point no one is expendable if they're playing, since Jack won't be.