Around the NHL 2021-22

Doohickie

2 hours ago, Digger said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/panthers-aleksander-barkov-agree-eight-year-80m-contract-extension/

Panthers, Aleksander Barkov agree to eight-year, $80M contract extension

BOOM!!

That's a lot of $, but you could argue that is the going rate and will be a cheap contract in a few years.  As player salaries go I'd say he is worth it.  He has quietly (not in the big time spotlight) become a top 10 player in the NHL, maybe top 5 soon when the likes of Crosby and Malkin start to nose dive.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

Carolina might be in hot water due to them scheduling only 4 preseason games this year and the CBA requires 6 to be played. Furthermore MTL may have tattled on them. 🤣

Interesting how, after all these years, the Canes FINALLY have a rival & it both happens to be the most storied franchise in all of hockey AND happened for such a silly friggin' reason.

They must be rejoicing in Left Turn Land.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Carolina might be in hot water due to them scheduling only 4 preseason games this year and the CBA requires 6 to be played. Furthermore MTL may have tattled on them. 🤣

If this minimum limit is truly a rule, then Carolina must be punished for it -- whether they thought COVID would prevent games or not.

Just compare this to the NFL. Goddell and the owners/players would be upset if one team had a) the opportunity to generate additional revenue and DIDN'T and b) had their players subjected to additional risk of injury while Carolina did not. If you want to circumvent the injury risk, just ice an AHL squad all preseason (see half the NFL teams).

But to purposefully play fewer the mandated games? That's absurd and should never happen. Take their 2022 1st round pick. They'll schedule their preseasons out a decade in advance.

53 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

If this minimum limit is truly a rule, then Carolina must be punished for it -- whether they thought COVID would prevent games or not.

Just compare this to the NFL. Goddell and the owners/players would be upset if one team had a) the opportunity to generate additional revenue and DIDN'T and b) had their players subjected to additional risk of injury while Carolina did not. If you want to circumvent the injury risk, just ice an AHL squad all preseason (see half the NFL teams).

But to purposefully play fewer the mandated games? That's absurd and should never happen. Take their 2022 1st round pick. They'll schedule their preseasons out a decade in advance.

They don't have a 1st in 2022

5 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Really?  Seems strange.  Does every team have to schedule their own preseason games?  I would have thought that the league would schedule preseason similar to the way they manage the regular season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Digger said:

Really?  Seems strange.  Does every team have to schedule their own preseason games?  I would have thought that the league would schedule preseason similar to the way they manage the regular season.

That’s what I was thinking. This sounds strange. 

Also, an article I read said MTL alerted the NHL about it. You mean to tell me the NHL themselves didn’t see one of only 32 teams only playing 4 preseason games??? Another team had to inform them?

Edited by Andrew Amerk
  • Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Digger said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/panthers-aleksander-barkov-agree-eight-year-80m-contract-extension/

Panthers, Aleksander Barkov agree to eight-year, $80M contract extension

Reino is used to playing second fiddle behind $10 m dollar players.  Some things never change.

4 hours ago, Digger said:

Yes, they schedule their own preseason.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Ovi left the game with a lower body injury.

He has been healthy for a long time but a serious injury could derail his chance at Gretzky’s record. 
He sits 164 goals back at 36 years of age.

Think Wayne's done? He's a pretty competitive guy.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, rakish said:

I would honestly like to hear what these all time greats think about their records getting broken.

They always take the high road and say how great the new guy is and that records are meant to be broken. I’m pretty sure Wayne is a humble guy and would be as graceful as his idol Gordie but you never know.

3 hours ago, rakish said:

I think ovechkin has at least one 50 goal campaign in him again, Just depends when he goes back to Russia I suppose.     But he could play until 40 easy and then the record is broken.

I’d like to see someone run the numbers on 28-year-olds and 8-year contracts.

Does any GM ever not regret them?

Looking at the highest-paid players on capfriendly, maybe the Patrick Kane deal might qualify?

Doughty, Karlsson, Bobrovsky, Skinner, Subban, Jamie Benn… all bad deals  Toews, Kopitar, Tavares, are all still good, but not worth their deals. Pietrangelo Panarin TBD.

Zibanejad is worth that, maybe more, right now. But it won’t age well.

• Thanks (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’d like to see someone run the numbers on 28-year-olds and 8-year contracts.

Does any GM ever not regret them?

Looking at the highest-paid players on capfriendly, maybe the Patrick Kane deal might qualify?

Doughty, Karlsson, Bobrovsky, Skinner, Subban, Jamie Benn… all bad deals  Toews, Kopitar, Tavares, are all still good, but not worth their deals. Pietrangelo Panarin TBD.

Zibanejad is worth that, maybe more, right now. But it won’t age well.

Yes.  But Zibanejad was most likely going to get close to that on the open market so the Rangers have little choice but to sign him to keep him now.  Drury and Briere were bought out as well from their long term contracts.  Maybe if they had got Eichel they would have tried to get him on a shorter term or let him go.