Dreger: Eichel situation may be shifting, multiple teams involved

Hoss

Just now, That Aud Smell said:

I'm not sure whether HIPAA would restrict the team from disclosing his medicals -- the Sabres are not a HIPAA-governed entity and his medicals, in this instance, may not qualify as protected health information.

I don't think sports teams are exempt from HIPAA.  That said, the CBA also likely has terms if and when player medical records can be disclosed to other teams.  The player also likely has a say when his records can be disclosed and to whom.  Hard to speculate when we really don't know.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don't think sports teams are exempt from HIPAA.  

As a rule, employers are not governed by HIPAA; health care providers are.

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That said, the CBA also likely has terms if and when player medical records can be disclosed to other teams.  The player also likely has a say when his records can be disclosed and to whom. 

It's probably right that the CBA has something to say about it. And the player may have rights under state law regarding the privacy of those records. My sense all along had been that the Sabres were the ones who didn't want his medicals out there -- that Eichel's camp wanted more of an open-book approach. But maybe that was a mistaken impression.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Bingo. Much of what we are getting is being spoonfed by Brisson to Dreger and Friedmann.

This is the most likely scenario, but that bodes the question as to "why" is it being spoon fed to the press at this time.  IMO it is to get other teams worried that a competing team is getting ready to pull the trigger on a trade after reviewing the updated medical records the Sabres recently shared. 

So I think this move is a tactic to nudge a team towards a trade for Eichel.  Hopefully it works in the Sabres favor...

• Like (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

HIPAA for example.

I'd have to think Eichel would ok the release to facilitate a trade. This just seems like poor strategy on the Sabres part. Of course no team would trade for anyone without seeing the medical records of someone who needs major surgery.

41 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

This is the most likely scenario, but that bodes the question as to "why" is it being spoon fed to the press at this time.  IMO it is to get other teams worried that a competing team is getting ready to pull the trigger on a trade after reviewing the updated medical records the Sabres recently shared. 

So I think this move is a tactic to nudge a team towards a trade for Eichel.  Hopefully it works in the Sabres favor...

Why? To get threads like this going.

22 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The Sabres did not want to release His Health Records until teams agreed the parameters of a deal. This was going no where fast, so once Brisson got involved records release became more expended 

The Sabres thought teams would do this without knowing his medical condition?

They still might be trying, From 32 Thoughts with Friedman

2. On Eichel: there is a real push to find a solution, because Eichel’s displaced disc can’t be allowed to just sit on the nerve. He is going to need a procedure sooner rather than later. What’s helped is he’s getting his own MRIs, so he and his representatives can share proper information. That’s a big deal. More difficult to answer is whether or not he is traded first or gets surgery, returns to health and plays games for the Sabres to regain his trade value. No one will go on record, but there is a growing belief there are teams willing to accept Eichel’s preferred disc replacement. However, you have to be able to make the trade first. There’s definitely a push to get him healthy — which should be the number-one priority.

Jack is gathering His Own Info and MRIs so they can be shared without the Sabres Permission it appears 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

2. On Eichel: there is a real push to find a solution, because Eichel’s displaced disc can’t be allowed to just sit on the nerve. He is going to need a procedure sooner rather than later. What’s helped is he’s getting his own MRIs, so he and his representatives can share proper information. That’s a big deal. More difficult to answer is whether or not he is traded first or gets surgery, returns to health and plays games for the Sabres to regain his trade value. No one will go on record, but there is a growing belief there are teams willing to accept Eichel’s preferred disc replacement. However, you have to be able to make the trade first. There’s definitely a push to get him healthy — which should be the number-one priority.

You go Jack.  Release your records, go get the surgery you want and let the chips fall where they may.  

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Jack is gathering His Own Info and MRIs so they can be shared without the Sabres Permission it appears 

That's what I was thinking. We I snapped two ligaments in my knee they told me surgery was best right away. I'd just guess that is the situation with neck injuries too 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

The Sabres did not want to release His Health Records until teams agreed the parameters of a deal. This was going no where fast, so once Brisson got involved records release became more expended 

Thank you. Someone needs to explain this to the idiot Mike Stephens. 

4 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Get us a good goalie and a decent physical defenseman and a few high draft picks, please. 

This could save the season 

You've got to be kidding.

Teams don't draft for straight need and they shouldn't be expending their best assets (especially when healthy) for the same return.

This is a trade for more than just about this season or even next. 

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I'm not sure whether HIPAA would restrict the team from disclosing his medicals -- the Sabres are not a HIPAA-governed entity and his medicals, in this instance, may not qualify as protected health information.

They pay the physicians who have examined Jack, so are not unlike a 3rd party payer, who is a HIPAA-governed entity. I’m sure there is language within the CBA in regards to this. However, this is a moot point, because if Jack wanted to get traded, he would easily just sign a HIPAA release form. Poof, other team physicians would have his records. 

54 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Dr Friedman has it wrong. If there was nerve impingement, this is a indication for expedited surgery, not something you wait on for 8 months. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.