Dreger: Eichel situation may be shifting, multiple teams involved

Hoss

10 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I watched the TSN That's Hockey story today and they presented it as if it was something new and made a big deal of it but when you actually listened to it they offered absolutely nothing new. Just a bunch of speculation and doublespeak

I think there’s a good chance the medical stuff is new and that’d be a pretty good move to break the stalemate.

Looks like Quinton Byfield will miss significant time in LA with a broken ankle in training camp.  I know we would need to take money back to make the cap work with a trade with LA.  Could try to get Byfield again as the principle prospect coming back.  He's rated high but hasn't pushed through yet to the NHL.  Before the injury he was expected to play on the 4th line for LA.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Digger said:

Looks like Quinton Byfield will miss significant time in LA with a broken ankle in training camp.  I know we would need to take money back to make the cap work with a trade with LA.  Could try to get Byfield again as the principle prospect coming back.  He's rated high but hasn't pushed through yet to the NHL.  Before the injury he was expected to play on the 4th line for LA.

I was just going to say something similar. I'd certainly give them another call if I was Adams. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Ducks 😛

Yes please. If we could somehow swing Eichel for dysdale+2022 first+comtois, I would be estatic. Maybe throw back Thompson their way? 

Regardless, I think If we can’t get a top C prospect, getting a first and a good rd prospect is the move. We need rd for the future, and if we can fill the hole in the top 4 rd in the future, that would allow us to focus on forwards in the draft with 3 firsts.

2 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

Yes please. If we could somehow swing Eichel for dysdale+2022 first+comtois, I would be estatic. Maybe throw back Thompson their way? 

Regardless, I think If we can’t get a top C prospect, getting a first and a good rd prospect is the move. We need rd for the future, and if we can fill the hole in the top 4 rd in the future, that would allow us to focus on forwards in the draft with 3 firsts.

Was at the Duck/Kings game tonight.    A few notes....

Zegras, wow, impressive.   Needs to add about 10-15lbs tho. 

Drysdale not so much.   

Kaliyev impressed, his skating is a bit wonky, elite shot. 

Getzlaf is done.    

Austin Wagner I would imagine is a target of the Sabres, he's got that speed they covet like Hinostroza, Caggiula and Bjork.   

Stolarz looked great for the first 2 periods, he looks ready to take over for Gibson after they trade him to Buffalo 🙂 

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Digger said:

Looks like an excellent trade for the sabres then -  LA gets a top 6 Center in 3 months - we let Byfield on the shelf long enough to win the tank wars lol

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve resigned myself to the fact that we are getting a bag of magic beans for Jack.  KA trade him already so the fans and franchise can move on.  

Seriously.  If we get as much for Jack as we go for ROR I’d be surprised.  It was a buyers market then because we wanted to save the $8 mill bonus and it’s a buyers market now because of Jack’s injury.  At least teams knew ROR would play again. 

I suspect we’ll get a 1st and medium prospect and one serviceable cap dump.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

One significant note on any deal involving Jack; the Sabres currently sit a cap for 63.322 with Jack's salary.  

Any deal involving Jack must return or keep approx 6.9 mill in cap.  For example the Sabres might take back a $2 mill player and retain 50% of Jack's salary for this season.  The Rags actually have approx 9.7 in cap space.  

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’ve resigned myself to the fact that we are getting a bag of magic beans fir Jack.  KA trade him already so the fans and franchise can move on.  

Seriously.  If we get as much for Jack as we go for ROR I’d be surprised.  It was a buyers market then because we wanted to save the $8 mill bonus and it’s a buyers market now because of Jack’s injury.  At least teams knew ROR would play again. 

I suspect we’ll get a 1st and medium prospect and one serviceable cap dump.  

You are unintentionally making a strong argument to keep Jack until he is restored to health. Assuming he gets whatever surgery it is probable that he is not going to play this year. So why not put him aside and allow him to rehab and work himself back to health? Once he can demonstrate that he is back to his old form then his trade value is demonstrably greater.

The notion that the fanbase and franchise has to move on makes little sense to me. For all intents and purposes he is not going to be around the team. Our players are not waiting for him to come back and salvage anything for them. 

KA is handling this situation smartly. He is not going to allow himself nor the franchise to get enmeshed and distracted by this saga. He already has a lot on his plate to deal with. Just let this issue go and eventually it will work itself out. It won't be on your rushed timeline but it will some day come to a conclusion. In my view patience rather than impatience will work out better for the organization.   

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You are unintentionally making a strong argument to keep Jack until he is restored to health. Assuming he gets whatever surgery it is probable that he is not going to play this year. So why not put him aside and allow him to rehab and work himself back to health? Once he can demonstrate that he is back to his old form then his trade value is demonstrably greater.

The notion that the fanbase and franchise has to move on makes little sense to me. For all intents and purposes he is not going to be around the team. Our players are not waiting for him to come back and salvage anything for them. 

KA is handling this situation smartly. He is not going to allow himself nor the franchise to get enmeshed and distracted by this saga. He already has a lot on his plate to deal with. Just let this issue go and eventually it will work itself out. It won't be on your rushed timeline but it will some day come to a conclusion. In my view patience rather than impatience will work out better for the organization.   

I've said from the beginning the Sabres shouldn't entertain a trade until they prove he is healthy to max value.  However it's becoming clear that that train has likely left the station if the trade rumors floating around the last few days are true.  If they are, then resign yourself to the bag of magic beans.

One thing that may have changed KA's calculus is the Rags offered Georgiev as part of the deal.  Given our goaltending situation that would be a huge incentive to get a deal done now.  This is speculation (wishful thinking) on my part, but this is where the Rags can trade from strength and might move the needle enough to get KA to deal.

Another thing that could have changed the calculus and a more likely thing is TP/KP told KJA to get him out of here at any price.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I've said from the beginning the Sabres shouldn't entertain a trade until they prove he is healthy to max value.  However it's becoming clear that that train has likely left the station if the trade rumors floating around the last few days are true.  If they are, then resign yourself to the bag of magic beans.

One thing that may have changed KA's calculus is the Rags offered Georgiev as part of the deal.  Given our goaltending situation that would be a huge incentive to get a deal done now.  This is speculation (wishful thinking) on my part, but this is where the Rags can trade from strength and might move the needle enough to get KA to deal.

Another thing that could have changed the calculus and a more likely thing is TP/KP told KJA to get him out of here at any price.

I don't believe that there are any worthy trade deals right now because of the questions about Jack's health status. And that issue (my opinion) is not going to be known this season. Any GM who right now would trade any of their high end prospects for Jack should be fired for gross malfeasance. 

Jack is a damaged asset. The hope is that he can in time get healthy and play at the level he once did. That's when he should be dealt.  

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

One significant note on any deal involving Jack; the Sabres currently sit a cap for 63.322 with Jack's salary.  

Any deal involving Jack must return or keep approx 6.9 mill in cap.  For example the Sabres might take back a $2 mill player and retain 50% of Jack's salary for this season.  The Rags actually have approx 9.7 in cap space.  

Teams can't retain salary for only a portion of the duration of the contract.  If the Sabres retain 50%, they've essentially made Skinner a $14MM / year cap hit for 5 of his remaining 6 years as they'll be getting absolutely nothing from that $5MM which is only a smidge less benefit than Jeff will provide.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’ve resigned myself to the fact that we are getting a bag of magic beans for Jack.  KA trade him already so the fans and franchise can move on.  

These two events are not related.  The Sabres have moved on.  The team is being built with the assets available.  And because the team has moved on, there's no reason to hurry the trade.  This season is a "development" (the cynic would say tank) season for the young core.  They're not expecting to be competitive, so just like we don't have a very good goalie situation right now as kind of cost saving measure while we develop the young core, we don't need the return from Jack's trade.... yet.  But that doesn't relieve KA from the responsibility to get the best possible return from the trade.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Teams can't retain salary for only a portion of the duration of the contract.  If the Sabres retain 50%, they've essentially made Skinner a $14MM / year cap hit for 5 of his remaining 6 years as they'll be getting absolutely nothing from that $5MM which is only a smidge less benefit than Jeff will provide.

I thought that might be the case.  That further complicates a trade for Jack.  Assuming we therefore can't (or won't) retain any of Jack's deal, we'll likely have to take back $7 mill in salary to get a deal done now.  So many moving parts.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.