Jump to content

The JAG Corp - How many of our guys actually move the needle?


GASabresIUFAN
 Share

Recommended Posts

I remember when I used to think the JAG meant the Judge Advocate General's office.  

Now it's nearly an entire hockey team of Just Another Guys.

The latest claim of Axel Foley (or whatever his name is) is just another log on the JAG fire.

Anderson, Dell, Pysyk, Hagg, Hayden, Girgensons, Eakin, Fjallby, MacInnis (sent down), Caggiula, Bjork, Hinostroza, KO (now), Miller, and probably Thompson, Asplund and Butcher are JAGs or worse.  Skinner is also trending that way. That's approx 16/17 guys of a 22 man roster.

The only guys who really move the needle are Dahlin, Jokiharju (potentially), Mitts, VO, R2 (who I really like) and Cozens (potentially).  What a sorry state of affairs for our beloved franchise.

I've been a Sabres fan since day 1.  My first game was the Sabres 1st game.  I don't think I've been this down on the club.  

Honestly this maybe the worst non-expansion NHL team in history.

  • Like (+1) 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know but I understand and agree with most of your points.  It's easy to be worried about this season and lack of talent on the team.  BUT, the biggest thing about this team is that there are opportunities for players to emerge and for chemistry to develop between players.  We have not seen the best line combinations yet, we have not put out our best players yet because it's preseason.  It's nice to see that we have cut down the squad again today including UPL.  I am really wanting to see what our regular season lineup will be and who can develop some chemistry and can we have success on the PP and PK and even strength scoring for that matter.

My point is that we will see some players emerge this year from JAG to good players that are establishing their role with the Sabres and in the NHL.  This is a big year and a great opportunity for the JAG's (even the ones that get traded at the deadline). 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

With respect and understanding of your position here ...

I think you are wrong.

If he is wrong it’s not by much.  Its going to take Thompson, Asplund, VO, Butcher, and R2, to all develop into solid NHL players - that is asking a lot.   Mitts, Joker, Cozens and Dahlin all need to be consistently good every night - that has yet to happen for a full season.  We have nothing in goal and UPL should start the season in the AHL.  We have a weak and inexperienced center spline.  We have very little veteran know how.  

I hope I am wrong but by December I’m willing to bet that many here will declare this roster to be the worst Sabres roster ever.  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Digger said:

I don't know but I understand and agree with most of your points.  It's easy to be worried about this season and lack of talent on the team.  BUT, the biggest thing about this team is that there are opportunities for players to emerge and for chemistry to develop between players.  We have not seen the best line combinations yet, we have not put out our best players yet because it's preseason.  It's nice to see that we have cut down the squad again today including UPL.  I am really wanting to see what our regular season lineup will be and who can develop some chemistry and can we have success on the PP and PK and even strength scoring for that matter.

My point is that we will see some players emerge this year from JAG to good players that are establishing their role with the Sabres and in the NHL.  This is a big year and a great opportunity for the JAG's (even the ones that get traded at the deadline). 

This is entirely the point of this season:

Asplund Thompson, Mittelstadt, R2, Bjork, Fjallby, Jokiharju, Dahlin and to a lesser extent Cozens, Peterka, Bryson and Samuelsson are being given a chance to establish their NHL identities.

Hinostroza, Caggiula, Hayden, Eakin, Miller, Hagg, Butcher, Pysyk, Dell, and to a lesser extent Skinner are being given an opportunity to save their NHL careers.

Pretty much to a man, they understand that.

Some will sink and some will swim, but the psychology of what's going on in terms of resetting the team identity to one of desperation and opportunity is well-drawn.

  • Thanks (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

I’m not worried about the filler. I think that will improve. 
 

I don’t think Dahlin has a reliable enough partner to take on 1D role yet. 

Not completely convinced he's got the partner to be a true 2nd pairing D, but until a stay at home guy that's better than Hagg is available, the Ras-Joker show will continue to get prime minutes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Taro T said:

Not completely convinced he's got the partner to be a true 2nd pairing D, but until a stay at home guy that's better than Hagg is available, the Ras-Joker show will continue to get prime minutes.

I’m high on both players but the Ristolainen situation is coming to play here. Joker is a 2nd pairing guy. They’re both going to struggle and drag the team down if there isn’t better filler. Hagg shouldn’t even dress 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, triumph_communes said:

I’m high on both players but the Ristolainen situation is coming to play here. Joker is a 2nd pairing guy. They’re both going to struggle and drag the team down if there isn’t better filler. Hagg shouldn’t even dress 

Jokiharju when paired w/ the right partner is a 2nd pairing D-man.  The only partner he's had to date that qualified as such went out the door for a 4th round pick that turned into friggin' Frolik.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

With respect and understanding of your position here ...

I think you are wrong.

I respect that and I hope I'm wrong.  Seeing this team this way breaks my heart.  Seeing KA claim another JAG and not try to improve the goaltending is heart breaking as well.  

When I look at Bjork, Caggiula, Hagg and Butcher, I see guys that their former teams, all better team then we were, wanted gone.  That doesn't mean there isn't a little something in these guys.  They are NHL players after all, but to expect them to go from castoff to stardom is highly unlikely.  What we have to hope for is that the whole is greater then the sum of the parts.  I have hope long-term, but I'm also trying to be realistic for this season.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I remember when I used to think the JAG meant the Judge Advocate General's office.  

Now it's nearly an entire hockey team of Just Another Guys.

The latest claim of Axel Foley (or whatever his name is) is just another log on the JAG fire.

Anderson, Dell, Pysyk, Hagg, Hayden, Girgensons, Eakin, Fjallby, MacInnis (sent down), Caggiula, Bjork, Hinostroza, KO (now), Miller, and probably Thompson, Asplund and Butcher are JAGs or worse.  Skinner is also trending that way. That's approx 16/17 guys of a 22 man roster.

The only guys who really move the needle are Dahlin, Jokiharju (potentially), Mitts, VO, R2 (who I really like) and Cozens (potentially).  What a sorry state of affairs for our beloved franchise.

I've been a Sabres fan since day 1.  My first game was the Sabres 1st game.  I don't think I've been this down on the club.  

Honestly this maybe the worst non-expansion NHL team in history.

Actually I would not say VO moves the needle for me. Other than that your list pretty much is it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...