What do you expect from: #72 Tage Thompson?

dudacek

Tage Thompson  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best describes what you think the Sabres will get from Thompson this year?

• The kid has skill and is finally going to start putting it together — 20 goals and far fewer embarrassing playground moves
    • You're always going to get the bad with the good with Tage; he might get 15/15/30 in a middle six role but will still often be frustrating to watch
    • He's not an NHL hockey player and he'll finally convince the team of it this year; he'll get a chance, fail, and won't get another contract in Buffalo

You can't ignore certain numbers, as much as you try to minimize their importance.

And Thompson will never be able to separate himself from 6'7", a number rarely reached in the NHL and almost certainly unprecedented among the ranks of skill forwards.

It was that elongated frame and that massive wingspan, with its accompanying potential to strip and protect pucks, coupled with decent skating, a hard shot and surprisingly good hands that elevated a skinny, teenage Thompson to the 26th overall pick in the 2016 draft.

He signed with the Blues after scoring 33 goals in just 70 college games and was traded to the Sabres a year later as the unfortunate, resented-by-fans centrepiece in one of the most lopsided trades in franchise history.

Circumstances did not do any favours to Tage's development path. He was in the NHL before he was ready with the Blues (playing in a limited role bottom-six role due to injuries) and the Sabres (playing in a limited role again, this time due to bad management). He finally started his 3rd-year pro where he belonged and was dominating at the AHL level before an injury ended his season.

Rehab and the pandemic limited him to just 17 games in what should have been a crucial 15 month development period.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=177831

Last year Thompson was gifted a spot on Jack Eichel's flank in training camp, then pulled from that spot two games into the season. He played less than 70 minutes of NHL hockey over the next 7 weeks.

Like so many other Sabres, things turned around for Tage at the end of March when Don Granato and Kevyn Adams decided to just let the kids play. He finished the season with 7 goals in his final 21 games.

What do you expect from Thompson this season?

• Thanks (+1) 1

No selection for me.  I think he might be somewhere in between the first and second choice. 

To me he is another mishandled prospect, already on his third NHL coach.  He was potential for sure but like Mitts, no protection in the lineup.  They will ask a lot of him again.  

• Like (+1) 1

It's his year.  I don't know what we will get with Tage.  He didn't handle the expectations when he started with Eichel last year.  I think he's another player that struggles mightily with confidence (along with Skinner and Mittelstadt).  The Sabres need to have a good team of sports psychologists working for them (I image they have some resources on this but might want to double up this year).  I like Granato's comments about Tage's potential.  I believe at this point we can say he has potential and what may prevent him from reaching that potential is his hockey sense.  If he can work really hard and respond to coaching and stay healthy we should know what he is "for sure" after this season.

Nothing. I've been saying since we got him he needs to be mean and physical and use the body he has and it's obvious that isn't going to be him. His wrist shot is predictable and easy to save and his style is lackluster at best. So nothing. 

and he sucks on face offs. I can't decide if trying him at center is desperation due to a lack of centers or just a last ditch long shot since they've given up on him as a decent winger. 

• Haha (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Mr. Allen said:

I haven’t been able to watch either of the games this year, how is Tage looking at Center?  Better than at wing? 

He's looking OK.  Hard to say just how good because they've played 2 bad teams.  Vancouver is better than either and the Bruins are still the Bruins, so we'll know better soon.

He has definitely looked better than at wing, though in a very small sample size.

27 minutes ago, Mr. Allen said:

I haven’t been able to watch either of the games this year, how is Tage looking at Center?  Better than at wing? 

He’s looked real good on the PP moving the puck. Along the boards he fights guys off with his head up looking for a pass with a guy all over him. He’s been getting tons of chances. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/5/2021 at 11:27 AM, PerreaultForever said:

Nothing. I've been saying since we got him he needs to be mean and physical and use the body he has and it's obvious that isn't going to be him. His wrist shot is predictable and easy to save and his style is lackluster at best. So nothing. 

and he sucks on face offs. I can't decide if trying him at center is desperation due to a lack of centers or just a last ditch long shot since they've given up on him as a decent winger. 

Agree with his lack of physicality.  He seems to be using his reach much more effectively this year, which nice to see.  His face off % is off the charts winning over 60%, taking the most on the team.  He is also averaging the most time on ice amongst all Sabres forwards.  Bad teams, heavily protected zone starts but it’s not doom and gloom. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Mr. Allen said:

123% better than at wing.  He's far more engaged.  So far the Corsi For Pct. for his line over two games is 100%.  In other words, no SOG against while his line is out there, only shots for.  He's leading all Sabres forwards in time on ice, and our second best faceoff guy (behind Okposo).

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 months later...

He had a quiet December that included a 5-game pointless streak, but has bounced back with 4 goals and 10 points in his past 8.

At the half-way point of the season, he leads the Sabres, tied with Ryan O’Reilly for 87th in the NHL in points, 55th in goals.

Pacing for 28 goals and 56 points.

28 goals would mark the 3rd-highest total by Sabre in 10 years, behind Eichel’s 36 and Skinner’s 40.

Has he changed any minds?

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

He had a quiet December that included a 5-game pointless streak, but has bounced back with 4 goals and 10 points in his past 8.

At the half-way point of the season, he leads the Sabres, tied with Ryan O’Reilly for 87th in the NHL in points, 55th in goals.

Pacing for 28 goals and 56 points.

28 goals would mark the 3rd-highest total by Sabre in 10 years, behind Eichel’s 36 and Skinner’s 40.

Has he changed any minds?

How could he not have? Zero individuals even had him becoming a feasible centre, never mind one that can adequately play in the top 6

• Thanks (+1) 1

I was initially dismissive of Tage, and unfairly so, because of my initial anger with the ROR trade.  Even last season, he showed promise in extremely small increments.  Being moved to center along with having a coach who has an uncanny ability to bring out the best in players has Tage looking like a legitimate offensive threat that I never thought possible.

On 10/5/2021 at 11:06 AM, The Ghost of Yuri said:

30 goals as 1C

On 10/5/2021 at 11:27 AM, inkman said:

I’m done with the baby giraffe.  I thought he might figure it out but his game reeks like sewage.  I’ll be happy when he is no longer the Sabres problem. 

Talk about pulling stuff out your @ss. Can you imagine 2 more divergent views with one appearing to be dead on the money and the other dead wrong. Hooboy great look back posts.

Edited by jsb
Sorry Ink, yours was too good to pass up.
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.