Goalies On Waivers so far

GASabresIUFAN

15 minutes ago, RangerDave said:

Would you trade Eichel straight up for any NHL goalie?  If so, which one(s)?  I think it is more difficult to get a good goalie than it is a 1C, so if one came up in trade talks, I would probably jump at it.

No. Because goalies are usually fickle. 

They can be great one season, then completely fall off of a cliff forever. 

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Curtis Mcilleaney (sp) and Anthony Stalock off the top of my head are two recent waiver claims who came in and paid immediate dividends.

Stalock is out for the year due to a heart condition from COVID-19. Same with Oilers forward Josh Archibald who has been ruled out indefinitely.

Stalock also didn't appear in a single NHL game last year so I'm not sure Stalock would be helpful.

Edited by Hoss

8 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

No. Because goalies are usually fickle. 

They can be great one season, then completely fall off of a cliff forever. 

While this is certainly true, I can think of at least a half dozen times the Sabres brought in or paid a forward who fell off a cliff afterwards, too.  (cough...cough...Skinner...cough)

I am thinking more along the lines of an established goalie, not a prospect.  Someone  in the same tier as Eichel who has been good for some years.  Eichel is injured now, so there is no guarantee that he will be back to elite status, either.

6 hours ago, RangerDave said:

While this is certainly true, I can think of at least a half dozen times the Sabres brought in or paid a forward who fell off a cliff afterwards, too.  (cough...cough...Skinner...cough)

I am thinking more along the lines of an established goalie, not a prospect.  Someone  in the same tier as Eichel who has been good for some years.  Eichel is injured now, so there is no guarantee that he will be back to elite status, either.

Like who? 
I can’t think of a Goalie that I would be confident enough in being good enough long enough that we are a good team again that I would justify trading Eichel for. If we do trade Eichel, it seems to me the earliest we can hope to be good again is the 22/23 season. There would have to be a goalie out there that I am confident will be good in the 22-23 season, (which really cuts down the options) but also the next 2-3 after (at a minimnum) if I am trading a 1C. So it would have to be a goalie that I am confident will be in the upper end of the league for the next 5 years, and I don’t know if I am confident in a single goalie to do that.

18 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Yeah maybe. I'd need to talk to him first and see how he felt about playing in Buffalo. If I got bad vibes then I pass. In a vacuum, sure he makes the team better, but if all he's doing is cashing checks or counting the days until he can go elsewhere I'm not super interested.

Agree. We don't need a sulking goalie.

16 hours ago, RangerDave said:

Would you trade Eichel straight up for any NHL goalie?  If so, which one(s)?  I think it is more difficult to get a good goalie than it is a 1C, so if one came up in trade talks, I would probably jump at it.

If Vazalevski (sic) was available, who wouldn't make that deal? 

5 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Tokarski should be on the opening day roster.  He's earned it.

Honestly, I thought Dell looked good until...the shootout 

1 minute ago, bob_sauve28 said:

And now he is on waivers 

10 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

And now he is on waivers 

To the bolded, you and Aaron's mother don't have much company on that bandwagon.  He was shaky until OT.  Will give you that he looked good in the 3v3.  It wasn't nearly enough.

Just now, Taro T said:

To the bolded, you and Aaron's mother don't have much company on that bandwagon.  He was shaky until OT.  Will give you that he looked good in the 3v3.  It wasn't nearly enough.

He made that one big save, coming out to challenge and had to deal with Pens putting on the heat, unlike Toker did. He was pure awful in shoot out. 

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Yeah and his .864 save percentage this preseason is self explanatory. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, bob_sauve28 said:

He made that one big save, coming out to challenge and had to deal with Pens putting on the heat, unlike Toker did. He was pure awful in shoot out. 

Tokarski had to deal w/ the BJs putting on heat and actually held up to it.

Dell is flat out awful on the glove side & is affected by screens that Midget goalies can battle through.  He also ended up completely out of the crease on the 4th goal well before Carter was dumped on top of him.  Stay in the crease & MAYBE they get a GT interference call.  But he can't walk himself completely out of the play.

I don't know why Dell not being very good is a surprise to anyone.  He has been in decline for 3 straight seasons.  I don't know what miracle people expected.  

As I've said before KA should be fired for how he has handled the goaltending alone in Buffalo.  Signing Dell at all was a terrible idea.  Signing Anderson to be the starter is one as well.  Being unwilling to go after competent goaltending to help support the kids is just another example of the incompetence of the GM and the organization he works for.

Waiving Dell was inevitable.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Yeah maybe. I'd need to talk to him first and see how he felt about playing in Buffalo. If I got bad vibes then I pass. In a vacuum, sure he makes the team better, but if all he's doing is cashing checks or counting the days until he can go elsewhere I'm not super interested.

If he wants to go somewhere else then one way would be to play well for Buffalo.  

32 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don't know why Dell not being very good is a surprise to anyone.  He has been in decline for 3 straight seasons.  I don't know what miracle people expected.  

As I've said before KA should be fired for how he has handled the goaltending alone in Buffalo.  Signing Dell at all was a terrible idea.  Signing Anderson to be the starter is one as well.  Being unwilling to go after competent goaltending to help support the kids is just another example of the incompetence of the GM and the organization he works for.

Waiving Dell was inevitable.

It all started with losing Ullmark, which I didn’t think was his intention.  

2 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

Like who? 
I can’t think of a Goalie that I would be confident enough in being good enough long enough that we are a good team again that I would justify trading Eichel for. If we do trade Eichel, it seems to me the earliest we can hope to be good again is the 22/23 season. There would have to be a goalie out there that I am confident will be good in the 22-23 season, (which really cuts down the options) but also the next 2-3 after (at a minimnum) if I am trading a 1C. So it would have to be a goalie that I am confident will be in the upper end of the league for the next 5 years, and I don’t know if I am confident in a single goalie to do that.

That is my question.  Is there a goalie out there that you would trade Eichel for straight up?  I think it is possible we have enough players to make the playoffs, sans Eichel, IF we had a good goalie to back them.

I am resigned to the probability that Eichel will never play for the Sabres again.  If that turns out true, what would be the piece, or pieces, we would need in return to get back to the playoffs?  A goalie, in my mind.  It may not lead to long term success, but I would settle for a playoff team for a change now.  I'll worry about 2 to 3 to 5 years after we reach that plateau.

11 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

If he wants to go somewhere else then one way would be to play well for Buffalo.  

It all started with losing Ullmark, which I didn’t think was his intention.  

As I've said before the the pivot from not retaining Ullmark isn't going the opposite direction and signing scrap heap players.  The pivot from not retaining Ullmark is trading for someone else competent or signing someone else competent.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He has been in decline for 3 straight seasons.

Not true.

His last three seasons were:

1. Drop off from early success.
2. Return to early success.
3. Drop off again last year, but in a season where he played in only 7 games (small sample).

He could have gone either way.

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

As I've said before the the pivot from not retaining Ullmark isn't going the opposite direction and signing scrap heap players.  The pivot from not retaining Ullmark is trading for someone else competent or signing someone else competent.

Sometimes the deals you try to make but don't end up being the best ones. Ullmark is sucking yet again for the Bruins tonight. So over paying Ullmark may be a mistake avoided. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/6/2021 at 4:11 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

But that’s the thing, there wasn’t any other goalies available to sign of higher quality. Plus who’s to say KA didn’t hunt the trade market. Just look how much Colorado had to pay to get Kuemper from Arizona. Obviously the Sabres shouldn’t be trading 1sts for goalies. And if CBJ is asking for the same for Korpisalo then he’s wise not to make that trade either. 

On 10/6/2021 at 4:11 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

The emphasis is on players that want to be here.  There was noone else too sign or trade for.  I'm not sure why you haven't accepted this yet.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.