UHL Player’s Racist Gesture

Hoss

So … this is causing some outrage in the hockey community. A player gestures as if he was eating a banana toward an opposing player. This was mentioned in the now-closed Around the NHL thread for lack of a better place.

His punishment? “3+10 games.” Basically, it’s three games unless he refuses to pay a fine of what amounts to about $1,880. If he pays the fine it’s just a three-game suspension.

The original video for those unaware:

2 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

This crap is just the total opposite of what sports is all about. May the best man win. 

It's the worst in European football.  It's not only racist behaviour many are anti everything.  Mesut Ozil a German quit the National Team in 2018 due to racism of the German Football President.  He was abused by fans so much that he requested his release from the English club Arsenal and now plays football in Istanbul.  He is a white man.  He was born in Germany and is of Turkish decent (his grandfather emigrated to Germany).  He is a practicing Muslim.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Ukrainian Hockey League for those curious.

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

So?

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Because there is/was a US-based UHL too. 

Thanks.

And sorry PA for my rather offensive 'So?'.  I get kind of worked up about this stuff.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Out of curiosity, where are you from NS. My friend is a non-practising Muslim from Bosnia. When he first came to Canada, he started in Newfoundland, and then after a year or so of being a Newfie, he moved to Ontario.

My roots are Austrian and Slovak (grandparents).  I was born in The Great Satan (Toronto) and escaped to NS 23 years ago.

My wife and I have spent much time in Bosnia and love it.  One fine day we hope to retire (at least part time) there.  We have many friends there.  Being a Muslim in Bosnia means many different things to many different people there.  Most are good people regardless of how they practice, or don't practice, their faith.  We do not have many Bosnians here in NS, or in Atlantic Canada.  Many end up in Ontario.  The US has many Bosnians in several states.

In case you are not aware and for clarity ... I am a reasonabe and reasonably practicing Muslim convert.

• Like (+1) 1

Assuming that we're trying to end racist gestures in sports, the actions by Ukrainian hockey officials are barely acceptable. But maybe a lot better than we would have seen several years ago.

It's kind of a non-starter discussion. No one will defend the player's actions or say the UHL did all it could or should. And there should be little doubt that if something like that happened in the NHL, the punishment would be SEVERE.

Not sure where we go from here, especially on the topic of ending racism in the world.

• Thanks (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

lifetime ban from pro sports seems appropriate 

Okay this is cancel culture I do not want to see in sports.  

People make mistakes. Kids are dumb. Hockey players (sometimes) are even dumber. Kids are often raised poorly by bad/racist parents and they need to grow and learn. One strike and you're out is just ridiculous. 

Do I excuse the guy? Absolutely not. Does he deserve punishment? Absolutely. but he also deserves a chance to mature, learn from his mistake and become better. So a very very short leash, but everyone should get a second chance .  

• Like (+1) 5

10 minutes ago, Hoss said:

10/13 games is not enough. I don’t know how long the UHL season is but it should, at the very least, be at least half a season and require a lot of penance to return.

At minimum. I might go the full year just to make it clear this crap won't be tolerated. Duffer made a good point on the instigators about how the NHL should be proactive and work with the teams to put in a policy if this occurs so they know what the consequences will be. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

At minimum. I might go the full year just to make it clear this crap won't be tolerated. Duffer made a good point on the instigators about how the NHL should be proactive and work with the teams to put in a policy if this occurs so they know what the consequences will be. 

Yup. Proactive and not reactive. This is the perfect time for the NHL to announce a new policy that any definitively racist act, if verified, is a 365 day suspension.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/29/2021 at 11:36 AM, New Scotland (NS) said:

It's the worst in European football.  It's not only racist behaviour many are anti everything.  Mesut Ozil a German quit the National Team in 2018 due to racism of the German Football President.  He was abused by fans so much that he requested his release from the English club Arsenal and now plays football in Istanbul.  He is a white man.  He was born in Germany and is of Turkish decent (his grandfather emigrated to Germany).  He is a practicing Muslim.

Zinedine Zidane almost quit coaching the French National Team before their World Cup win because of the crap his father got.

Racism is not great in the US and Canada to a lesser extent, but we both are parsecs ahead of most of Europe.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.