Is Don Granato the best coach the Sabres have had since Lindy Ruff?

LGR4GM

26 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I would agree with this if he’d gotten them to the playoffs, or even close, but again — they missed the playoffs by a mile in his first year and then did worse in his 2nd year.  I don’t see an incredible accomplishment or really any accomplishment at all.  

I believe if he would have gotten one more year buffalo would be in the playoffs . 

Just my opinion of course 

4 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

The challenge for the coach now is to get his team to play at a higher level when there are higher expectations. Vying for a playoff spot offers less opportunity to experiment around with your players and be so tolerant of their mistakes. That pressure didn't exist this year because everyone knew at what stage the team was at in the rebuild.  He openly acknowledged that it was more of a priority for him to develop players than win games. As a coach he can do a lot more experimenting with players and their roles when little is at stake. That pressure free atmosphere will not be as prevalent next year. At least that is what I hope.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, woods-racer said:

The rest of that exchange with Anderson.

I'm thinking there are going to be agents calling Adams with guys WANTING to play goalie here. 

Would truly not mind Anderson back IF it is strictly as the backup / emergency goalie.  Don't want him anywhere near the #1 role.

Maybe UPL's injury last night opens up the opportunity for that.

4 hours ago, Norcal said:

I'm grateful that Meatballs and his staff have brought the boys into the 21st century in their game play. 

The roadmap was easy to follow. Whatever the predecessor did---do the opposite. Even in the darkness you will be assured to be on the right path. 

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The roadmap was easy to follow. Whatever the predecessor did---do the opposite. Even in the darkness you will be assured to be on the right path. 

Well coach after coach failed to ice a team even close to resembling the modern game. 

This coach and team did by seasons end. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/23/2022 at 10:41 AM, Buffalonill said:

Has to be something behind the scenes that went down to get black balled.

Looking at it now  It's pretty incredible what he accomplished with all the cancers in the room. 

He just wasn't a good coach.  That's why the Pens fired him.  Everyone now sees that.

I would say he contributed to the cancers in the room. 

EVERY GM and HC between Darcy Regier/Lindy Ruff, and Kevyn Adams/Donny Granato, allowed the cancer to metastasize.  It didn't have to be that way, but every single coach we had was clueless as to how to deal with it.  Tim Murray brought in Gionta and Gorges as mentors and it was a good thought, but it wasn't enough to overcome the distractions of ROR, Kane, Bogo, etc.  The room was splintered in the worst way, with mentors no one was listening to and toxic players leading the young talent astray.

Adams did the surgery to remove the cancers.  Granato helped the room convalesce.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 2

On 4/23/2022 at 11:34 AM, Buffalonill said:

I believe if he would have gotten one more year buffalo would be in the playoffs . 

Just my opinion of course 

Why?  The team was not trending the right way under him.  Yes I get it is only your opinion, but it is not supported by anything that actually happened.  I thought Mars was going to come up this morning instead of the Sun, but that's just my opinion.

On 4/30/2022 at 9:22 AM, woods-racer said:

The rest of that exchange with Anderson.

I'm thinking there are going to be agents calling Adams with guys WANTING to play goalie here. 

I hope of one of them is MAF's agent.

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/30/2022 at 9:32 AM, JohnC said:

The challenge for the coach now is to get his team to play at a higher level when there are higher expectations. Vying for a playoff spot offers less opportunity to experiment around with your players and be so tolerant of their mistakes. That pressure didn't exist this year because everyone knew at what stage the team was at in the rebuild.  He openly acknowledged that it was more of a priority for him to develop players than win games. As a coach he can do a lot more experimenting with players and their roles when little is at stake. That pressure free atmosphere will not be as prevalent next year. At least that is what I hope.  

I think Granato will handle things differently in his own head but I expect him to handle the players similarly.  He will still encourage risk for the sake of growth.

It will be up to him to manage that risk.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Why?  The team was not trending the right way under him.  Yes I get it is only your opinion, but it is not supported by anything that actually happened.  I thought Mars was going to come up this morning instead of the Sun, but that's just my opinion.

I hope of one of them is MAF's agent.

You mean, other than we haven't reached those season point totals since DB left? And in one, we didn't have Eichel to start the season due to injury. Everyone's got an opinion.

I felt the same as Buffalonill. I thought at the time (and said, and got roasted for) that firing those two was stupid and set the rebuild back 2 years. I mean, I was wrong. Turns out, it set it back 5 years and counting, but whatever.

12 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

"Great job Ted!" read the banner on Aud retirement night. Is Granato Nolan? Are these Sabres the 95-96 Sabres? Is Rick leaving analagous to the Aud closing?

I can see the similarities to the Nolan situation.  Donnie might be a 2020 version of Nolan.  
Players coach?  Check

Tasked with rebuilding a broken team?  Check

Puts personal development ahead of game situations?  Check

Touch-y feel-y methodology? Check

Develops considerable loyalty among the team?  Check

Lets see if he stays away from the goalie’s wife.  😈

My gut tells me Donnie will be a better game manager, but that is TBD for now.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I can see the similarities to the Nolan situation.  Donnie might be a 2020 version of Nolan.  
Players coach?  Check

Tasked with rebuilding a broken team?  Check

Puts personal development ahead of game situations?  Check

Touch-y feel-y methodology? Check

Develops considerable loyalty among the team?  Check

Lets see if he stays away from the goalie’s wife.  😈

My gut tells me Donnie will be a better game manager, but that is TBD for now.

The other likely difference is that while Nolan was purely a motivator, Granato will turn out to have a better grasp on the X's & O's.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The other likely difference is that while Nolan was purely a motivator, Granato will turn out to have a better grasp on the X's & O's.

I was going to point this out a little more directly, but I know people are pretty sensitive about Nolan.

• Thanks (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Thats why I assume he’ll be a better game manager.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

I hope you're right.     There's more to being a good coach then being liked by your players.

In fact, some of the best coaches in history weren't well liked by their players. 

I'll give him credit tho, I wanted to see them cut down on shots against over the past few months of the season, and they did... without giving up shots for.    They'll need to continue that trend into the start of next season if they want to take the next step.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 4/20/2022 at 11:24 AM, nfreeman said:

But Tuch joined the lineup on Dec. 29, and the Sabres were terrible in Jan. and Feb. 

IMHO, they didn't start playing better until some of the injured forwards returned (or in VO's case, got healthier).  That gave them 3 to 4 legit lines, instead of 2 NHL lines and 2 AHL lines.

Also I believe we had the second most man games lost to injury just behind Montreal. You bet injuries played a roll just the same as good health played a roll later on.

18 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I hope you're right.     There's more to being a good coach then being liked by your players.

In fact, some of the best coaches in history weren't well liked by their players. 

I'll give him credit tho, I wanted to see them cut down on shots against over the past few months of the season, and they did... without giving up shots for.    They'll need to continue that trend into the start of next season if they want to take the next step.

Don Granato's pressers tell us that he understands the x and o of it all because he has openly talked about things players have been taught in order to succeed.