GDT: Sabres at Blue Jackets, Tue., Sept 28 at 7 PM ET, WGR 550, Streaming on Sabres.com

Doohickie

And, now we approach the end of the mystery ... will the Buffalo Sabres of 2021-2022 be competitive under Don Granato?   

As frustrated and angry as I have become with the team that I have cheered on since the opening puck drop, I realize that this year's team has no connection to the non-compete teams that our former captain led onto the ice.   When my football team hired an unknown assistant coach and someone who had never been a general manager I was skeptical after nearly two decades of losing but as we know that newbie coach and GM are now established as two of the best; we can only hope that GMKA and Coach Granato have what it takes to build a team we can once again find some collective pride in because since the firing of Lindy and the embracing of tanking the blue and gold have only frustrated and angered most of us.

I love Cozens' competitiveness! Dahlin will no longer be handcuffed and punished by a coach who never should have been associated with an NHL team.  We have what appears to be a solid D corps in the making.

So, let's hope from the very first puck drop until the final horn that this year's team is skating hard and playing to win every single game.  We know that we are at a turning point and we are all out of patience but I will be watching this exhibition game where my team will be made up primarily of players bound for Rochester but another hockey season has arrived and that is good!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Columbus has already played a preseason game so they may have a bit less rust.  The Sabres lineup is pretty inexperienced (quite a ways from the expected regular season roster) so I'm thinking that it's going to be a tough game for us.  Hopefully we can score a couple.  I would expect quite a few training camp cuts following this game.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, shoretalk said:

So, let's hope from the very first puck drop until the final horn that this year's team is skating hard and playing to win every single game.  We know that we are at a turning point and we are all out of patience but I will be watching this exhibition game where my team will be made up primarily of players bound for Rochester but another hockey season has arrived and that is good!

I expect everyone's compete levels to remain high this game and through season because the Sabres FO doesn't tolerate poor efforts or attitudes anymore.  Just ask John 😁

That is obviously not an NHL ready forward set, but’s it is only pre season and you look at your group and you learn a lot. 

We are hinging our hopes on Granato keeping them competitive and playing hard.  This team is going to lose a lot.  The past few Pegula run losing teams, which had much more experience and talent than this one, failed to compete night after night.  

So we are betting on better coaching and better player chemistry.  

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Digger said:

Columbus has already played a preseason game so they may have a bit less rust.  The Sabres lineup is pretty inexperienced (quite a ways from the expected regular season roster) so I'm thinking that it's going to be a tough game for us.  Hopefully we can score a couple.  I would expect quite a few training camp cuts following this game.

I’d be surprised if Columbus doesn’t ice a mostly different team tonight, just like the Sabres will in their next preseason game.

Happy to get back to real game situations. The scrimmages were a little hard to watch. 

31 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

What's a Mersch???  😛

Weissbach looked good in the Prospects Challenge and the scrimmage.

Mersch is a long time AHL guy. Hard worker, sacrifices himself alot.

JAG really but a good pro for the kids to learn from. 

Edited by Norcal
Sp
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.