What do you expect from: #26 Rasmus Dahlin?

dudacek

Rasmus Dahlin  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best describes what you think the Sabres will get from Dahlin this year?

• Big things. This is the year he breaks out at an all-star level and shows the league he is in the same class as Makar and Hughes
    • His best season, he won't be elite but he will provide some explosive offence and better defence
    • Better than the Krueger suckitude, but he's still going to get beat regularly in those tougher minutes — basically what they got his first two seasons.
    • He will collapse under the weight of his own expectations and people will shake their heads at 'another player the Sabres ruined.'

You all know the story: heavily hyped first overall pick puts up more teenage points than almost any defenceman in NHL history.

But his excellent production was tarnished somewhat by defensive inconsistencies and the Sabres foibles, and overshadowed somewhat by the exploits of fellow blueline young guns Hughes, Heiskanen and Makar.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=201658

Last year was a tale of two seasons for many young Sabres, but none as much as Dahlin.

Plus-minus might be a flawed stat, but -33 in his first 34 games is a number that cannot be ignored. He was tentative with the puck, and frequently lost positioning or got overpowered in his own zone.

In March a light switch flipped and he ripped off 11 points in 13 games and was even on the +/- ledger before finishing on a 7-game pointless run.

His coach said the key was just letting Dahlin play.

"The more we can get him in the now and into his next opportunity, the better," coach Don Granato said. "And that was really a big part of what we were trying to focus on. That's the only intangible what we were trying to focus on: Let's try to get in the moment and think about what you can do right now, rather than the concern of a lot of players in this league that feel they have to live up to expectations."

"First three years I was kind of here to see and learn but now that's done," Dahlin said at his season-opening presser. "I need to take more responsibility in the locker room and on the ice, too. I want to be more of a leader. I want to be a guy that you can trust in every single second I'm at the rink. I'm not a young talent anymore. I've got to step up and show what I can do."

What do you expect from Dahlin this season?

Expect to see his growth continue and to see him leading more rushes out of the zone & also having more crisp breakout passes.

Still expect him to get lost a bit in his own zone, especially if paired w/ Jokiharju.  Really want to see him paired with somebody defensively sound, but not sure that guy is on this year's roster.  When he gets a D 1st partner or a true 2 way guy that handles his own end well, THAT'S when the light bulb will fully click on & he'll start to fully live up to the hype.

Expecting he'll actually become reasonable if not actually good against 2-on-1's this year.  He seems to add a tool to the ol' toolbox each year & that's the 1 this guy expects to see get added to the mix.

50 pts and challenge for team lead in points and will be the leader in assists.

I expect 23 minutes a night, improved all around play and more of willingness to try to assert his will on the game.  This is his team now.  He doesn't have to defer to Jack or Sam or Risto any longer.  

He also has a coach who believes in him and has stated he has the green light to spark the offense. 

I think he'll be one of the biggest bright spots this season.

With all this freedom comes responsibility.  Jokiharju's growth as a player in a more defensive role will really help Dahlin gain more freedom.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

I optimistically voted All Star level, but I really think he is somewhere in between the first and second category.  

I expect his best season offensively although without  9 and 23 on the team it might hamper that.

I think he shows up stronger, hoping to see more of a man body on him, and better defensive play. 

I see no reason why he isn’t like Makar when you adjust for the difference in the cast he plays with.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think it's a given Dahlin will lead the team in scoring.

His production will suffer a bit not having Jack to his left on the PP, but having the green light to create will more than make up for it.

Depending on his wingers could see Mittelstadt leading the team in scoring.  Could also possibly see Olofsson in 2nd if he plays like he did when he was on Reinhart's W rather than Eichel's.

But barring injury see Dahlin absolutely in the top 3, likely top 2, & wouldn't have money against leading the team.

Just now, Taro T said:

Depending on his wingers could see Mittelstadt leading the team in scoring.  Could also possibly see Olofsson in 2nd if he plays like he did when he was on Reinhart's W rather than Eichel's.

But barring injury see Dahlin absolutely in the top 3, likely top 2, & wouldn't have money against leading the team.

Casey is the only guy I see challenging him.

Mostly because he's the only guy I think is at least even odds of cresting 40 points under the current circumstances.

it will be a major disappointment Ras doesn't get 40

My question about Dahlin this year is has he gotten any stronger? To over simplify, is he a man yet or still a boy? His offensive skill has never been in question imo, it's the defensive side I'm not sure about and his ability to play people with the body or in close. His defensive game and his strength need to be a lot better if he's going to be a dominant big minutes player. 

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

My question about Dahlin this year is has he gotten any stronger? To over simplify, is he a man yet or still a boy? His offensive skill has never been in question imo, it's the defensive side I'm not sure about and his ability to play people with the body or in close. His defensive game and his strength need to be a lot better if he's going to be a dominant big minutes player. 

Good question.  It would be nice to see him be able to do a skill play and then have the power to put a shoulder into someone and keep on going to the net instead of losing the puck.  Same deal defending his own net.  He could use some nasty in his game to get some additional space this year.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.