What do you expect from: #24 Dylan Cozens?

dudacek

Which of these best describes what you think the Sabres will get from Cozens this year?   

55 members have voted

1. 1. Dylan Cozens

• An exciting breakout season, maybe 50 points and lots of effort and leadership
    • A step forward — some ups and downs, but 30-40 points and plenty of positive signs
    • Disappointment. He'll try too hard, and be asked to do too much and end up collapsing under the weight of expectations

Honestly, I think he has been more visible this year than last year. I think his overall play is a bit better this year.  However, he still isn't producing many points and is making some mistakes.

Send him to Rochester for a few weeks? I'd be OK with that.

Maybe sit him in the pressbox for a couple games in a  row but still have him practice with the team (not as a punishment, but rather to have him watch the game from a different perspective while getting a 'break'). I'm ok with that too.

If I had to choose though, it would be a big stint in Rochester.  As long as the 'kids' who are playing there are doing well, add Cozens to the list and let them have fun getting to know each other really well down there.  I know Cozens did well in training camp and had a few good games last year, but honestly he should have been in Rochester to begin with.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

He has zero goals 5V5 and 3 points  Even strength and 4  Secondary assist and has been extremely week on the puck 

I know we have high hopes for him but  Can't give him a Pat on the back when he hasn't been good at all 

He didn’t produce last season either.  His shot share stats have been much better this season.

Im not saying that he has been great or even that he should not be sent down though.

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

However, he still isn't producing many points and is making some mistakes.

I really think that's a linemates issue as much as anything else.  Hinostroza in particular has been a big disappointment to me.  The only redeeming quality he has is speed but he does nothing with it.

As mush as I hate to say it but would he benefit more in the long run of being sent down to the AHL for a while and get his confidence back? For a kid who DOMINATED every league he was in is struggling and I think it’s due to the fact of lack of veteran presence/center to help him.

A64F9EFE-2C1C-4CD4-A202-3B9ACCB43260.jpeg

I thought Cozens looked good last night, save for one bad turnover at the opposition blue-line that led to a breakaway.

While I would not object to him going to Rochester for a period, my first preference would be to let him play with Mitts and Olofsson when they come back (hopefully this week).  Let him have a stretch playing with two players with offensive skills that match his and who are predictable in what they do on the ice. 

• Like (+1) 1

Vogl’s latest article in the Athletic discusses the Sabres issues in the faceoff circle (30th in the NHL at 45%) and Cozens’ struggles.  It’s becoming apparent that Cozens isn’t ready especially with Mitts out.  He isn’t scoring and is getting crushed by bad matchups, especially on the road. 

It’s time for Cozens to be sent down.  I think he needs to get his feel for the game back, like Mitts did, and what better way then to team up with former linemate Krebs.      Having an Amerks top 2 lines featuring JJP, Quinn, Krebs and Cozens would be a matchup nightmare and breed confidence across the guys.  

The replacement for Cozens should be Jankowski.  He is a real center and is about a 50% faceoff guy in the NHL.  He is good enough to fill a depth center role in Buffalo.  

I know Jankowski is on an AHL deal, but KA needs to make this happen.  Cozens needs the confidence boost.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

his TRpm is a concern

==============================================================
BUF even strength goal differential through 12 games = -6
BUF even strength minutes played through 12 games = 623.8
exp+/- is a function of %min played at ES and team ES goal diff
TRpm(team relative +/-) is the diff btwn actual+/- and exp+/-
%min is % of ES minutes played
Team  Player                   TRpm    GP    +/-  exp+/-  %min
BUF Rasmus Asplund             5.66    12     4   -1.66   27.7
BUF Victor Olofsson            4.08     8     3   -1.08   17.9
BUF Colin Miller               3.97    12     2   -1.97   32.8
BUF Tage Thompson              3.72    12     2   -1.72   28.7
BUF Jacob Bryson               2.91    12     1   -1.91   31.8
BUF Mark Pysyk                 2.83    12     1   -1.83   30.5
BUF Zemgus Girgensons          1.48    12     0   -1.48   24.6
BUF Anders Bjork               1.22    12     0   -1.22   20.4
BUF Robert Hagg                0.80    12    -1   -1.80   30.0
BUF Henri Jokiharju            0.14     1     0   -0.14    2.3
BUF Arttu Ruotsalainen         0.13    11    -1   -1.13   18.8
BUF Casey Mittelstadt          0.07     1     0   -0.07    1.1
BUF John Hayden               -0.29     8    -1   -0.71   11.9
BUF Vinnie Hinostroza         -0.38    12    -2   -1.62   27.1
BUF Jeff Skinner              -0.39    12    -2   -1.61   26.8
BUF Drake Caggiula            -0.49    12    -2   -1.51   25.1
BUF Brett Murray              -0.89     1    -1   -0.11    1.8
BUF Kyle Okposo               -1.44    12    -3   -1.56   26.0
BUF Rasmus Dahlin             -1.71    12    -4   -2.29   38.1
BUF Christian Wolanin         -1.92     1    -2   -0.08    1.3
BUF Will Butcher              -3.14    10    -5   -1.86   31.0
BUF Cody Eakin                -3.18     7    -4   -0.82   13.6
BUF Dylan Cozens              -5.52    12    -7   -1.48   24.6

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 11/7/2021 at 8:12 AM, dudacek said:

I thought Dylan was pretty good last night as well.

I don’t blame his linemates for his inconsistencies, but a look at RW with Mitts and Skinner until Tuch claims that spot is worth a try.

Watching Cozens I'm a firm believer that RW would be a better position for him all around. I'd really like to see them send him to Rochester so he can grow confident again and thrive alongside Krebs and the others. They may be making a mistake in rushing him making a judgement that he can handle it with his dedication and maturity level. I also think he still needs to beef up a little more. Not because he's small, but the style he likes to play demands it.

peterka - krebs - quinn

rosen - thompson - cozens

olofsson - mittelstadt - poltapov

...if those players hit, looks like something similar to what's I've seen the Jets assemble in the past: a roster (again, this is if these guys all "hit") that rather looks like it's built from the wing in. Very strong wings, pretty good centremen? 

Add to that a better D. 

Goaltending...we'll likely be short of Vezina level. 

Recipe for success? 'spose it all depends. 

There's the picks to come, of course. This is just for fun. 

Edited by Thorny

33 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Cozens needs competent linemates or he will continue to struggle. The puck dies the second it hits his linemate's stick.

It’s more then that.  He is getting knocked off the puck and making bad decisions.  Having better line-mates would certainly help, but there aren’t any to have in the NHL.    There are in the AHL however.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Cozens needs competent linemates or he will continue to struggle. The puck dies the second it hits his linemate's stick.

Cozens is eighth in controlled zone entry in the entire league, He is also in the Top Ten for controlled zone exits. 

He absolutely needs better wingers. Vinnie and the Drake are horrible at puck retrieval in the defensive zone, which leads to prolonged periods of time spent in there for the entire line. 

Anthony Sciandra wrote an article for Expected Buffalo, detailing the Lines Struggles. 
He suggested moving Cozens to be the center for Zemgus and Okposo. 
He would learn defensive zone responsibility from them and those two have a tendency to flip the ice. 
With Cozens being strong on the transition, more goals scored by a line of Zemgus-Cozens-Okposo off the rush is a real possibility. 

Yes the Zemgus-Eakin-Okposo Line is the team’s best defensive line (I believe that’s more Zemgus and Okposo than Eakin), but moving Cozens to that line until Mittlestadt and/or Olofsson are ready to return would be best for Cozens development. 

If playing with Zemgus and Okposo or getting better linemates with the return of Olofsson and Mittlestadt doesn’t improve things, then send Him to Rochester. 

Either way at the Trade Deadline I would make sure Cozens, Peterka, Quinn and Krebs are all eligible for the AHL Playoffs. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Cozens is eighth in controlled zone entry in the entire league, He is also in the Top Ten for controlled zone exits. 

He absolutely needs better wingers. Vinnie and the Drake are horrible at puck retrieval in the defensive zone, which leads to prolonged periods of time spent in there for the entire line. 

Anthony Sciandra wrote an article for Expected Buffalo, detailing the Lines Struggles. 
He suggested moving Cozens to be the center for Zemgus and Okposo. 
He would learn defensive zone responsibility from them and those two have a tendency to flip the ice. 
With Cozens being strong on the transition, more goals scored by a line of Zemgus-Cozens-Okposo off the rush is a real possibility. 

Yes the Zemgus-Eakin-Okposo Line is the team’s best defensive line (I believe that’s more Zemgus and Okposo than Eakin), but moving Cozens to that line until Mittlestadt and/or Olofsson are ready to return would be best for Cozens development. 

If playing with Zemgus and Okposo or getting better linemates with the return of Olofsson and Mittlestadt doesn’t improve things, then send Him to Rochester. 

Either way at the Trade Deadline I would make sure Cozens, Peterka, Quinn and Krebs are all eligible for the AHL Playoffs. 

The problem w/ putting Cozens Thompson between Girgensons & Okposo before Mittelstadt is back is, at best, they've got 2 functional lines (guess the same could be said at present) whereas the currently have arguably 3 functional lines.  And if Cozens can't handle facing the other team's top line like Z & Kyle often do, you might be down to just the Thompson line functioning.

Edited by Taro T

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The problem w/ putting Thompson between Girgensons & Okposo before Mittelstadt is back is, at best, they've got 2 functional lines (guess the same could be said at present) whereas the currently have arguably 3 functional lines.  And if Cozens can't handle facing the other team's top line like Z & Kyle often do, you might be down to just the Thompson line functioning.

They are 0-4-1 in Their Last Five, with two functional lines right now. 
Cozens was getting the opponent’s top line in most road matchups with obvious results. 
It appears the organization is more concerned with development then Wins and Losses at this point 
Give Him the Teams Best Two Defensive Wingers and see how He fares. 
He was put out against Crosby last season, let’s see what happens with guys who are good at it. 

And I think you meant Cozens, not Thompson in the First Line of Your Response, I wouldn’t touch the Thompson Line right now.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Cozens was getting the opponent’s top line in most road matchups with obvious results. 
It appears the organization is more concerned with development then Wins and Losses at this point 
He was put out against Crosby last season, let’s see what happens with guys who are good at it. 

And I think you meant Cozens, not Thompson in the First Line of Your Response, I wouldn’t touch the Thompson Line right now.

If we do as you suggest send R2 down.  He is wasted playing with the JAGs.  

34 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Thanks, it was Dylan, not Tage.

Not worried about the road right now, the next 2 games are at home against teams w/ a lot of fire power.  Would rather have 2 functioning lines & 1 near line than only 2 w/ 2 disasters.

And on the road, now it becomes Eakin & Cozens former linemates getting blown up by the other team's top line if Cozens does center the A's.  That isn't going to be better IMHO.  But will cross that bridge next week.

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Can't copy it to here, but he is top 10 in zone entries, kid just needs decent wingers.

Also stop the drop passes on our own blue line 😄

That's part of it, but there is more to it as mentioned above. He needs to get stronger to really dominate in front of the net and in close. He has the right instincts and desire, but big NHL D men are basically owning him in front. He will get there, but I think it'd be better for him to play in the AHL and keep that style rather than learn adaptations for this in the NHL which will hurt his game in the long run. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

That's part of it, but there is more to it as mentioned above. He needs to get stronger to really dominate in front of the net and in close. He has the right instincts and desire, but big NHL D men are basically owning him in front. He will get there, but I think it'd be better for him to play in the AHL and keep that style rather than learn adaptations for this in the NHL which will hurt his game in the long run. 

Oh yeah I want him in the AHL, I think if casey was not injured he would be there already. 

16 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Can't copy it to here, but he is top 10 in zone entries, kid just needs decent wingers.

Also stop the drop passes on our own blue line 😄

Yeah I thought that flew the coop when Housley left but certain players keep it in their arsenal, Dahlin for sure. 

19 hours ago, Thorny said:

peterka - krebs - quinn

rosen - thompson - cozens

olofsson - mittelstadt - poltapov

...if those players hit, looks like something similar to what's I've seen the Jets assemble in the past: a roster (again, this is if these guys all "hit") that rather looks like it's built from the wing in. Very strong wings, pretty good centremen? 

Add to that a better D. 

Goaltending...we'll likely be short of Vezina level. 

Recipe for success? 'spose it all depends. 

There's the picks to come, of course. This is just for fun. 

Tuch? Plus we could be seeing a top 5 player from a loaded draft coming up. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.