What do you expect from: #24 Dylan Cozens?

dudacek

Which of these best describes what you think the Sabres will get from Cozens this year?   

55 members have voted

1. 1. Dylan Cozens

• An exciting breakout season, maybe 50 points and lots of effort and leadership
    • A step forward — some ups and downs, but 30-40 points and plenty of positive signs
    • Disappointment. He'll try too hard, and be asked to do too much and end up collapsing under the weight of expectations

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Last season Cozens was “banging down the door” in preseason.

I think he’s got some jitters.

Maybe. I'm not saying he should go to Rochester now after spending so much time in Buffalo last year and doing well for part of it.

Just in general, lets start these guys in Rochester.  And even if they have a great preseason, I'd like a few weeks in Rochester to verify that great preseason, as usually they only get 4-6 games in preseason (if that).

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

Maybe. I'm not saying he should go to Rochester now after spending so much time in Buffalo last year and doing well for part of it.

Just in general, lets start these guys in Rochester.  And even if they have a great preseason, I'd like a few weeks in Rochester to verify that great preseason, as usually they only get 4-6 games in preseason (if that).

I like the idea of putting the line together in the AHL and let them build chemistry.  Will be an important line in the years coming 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I expect Cozens to have some good moments and some terrible ones and score about 35 pts.  During his bad moments, I expect people here to call him a bust and say he was rushed to the NHL, especially when Mitts takes off this year.

They definitely have to decide what’s best for the player here.  Him following in the footsteps of Casey and spending some time in Rochester might just be best. 

22 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

But some players take it  Differently thinking it's a demotion ( beacuse they think they suck)  And it screws with their mind 

It goes back to what a lot of us think... If a player is showing a few weeks of positive signs in camp when they're very young that doesn't mean you promote them to the NHL level. Give them a taste of 3 or 4 NHL games sure. But until they prove over a 20 or more game stretch that they belong in the NHL and are knocking down the door from the AHL level, don't just give them their NHL spot.

He should not have been given a spot on the team last year, until he played in the AHL and proved he was better than the AHL. And yes, I did say that at the beginning of last year on these forums.

13 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

It goes back to what a lot of us think... If a player is showing a few weeks of positive signs in camp when they're very young that doesn't mean you promote them to the NHL level. Give them a taste of 3 or 4 NHL games sure. But until they prove over a 20 or more game stretch that they belong in the NHL and are knocking down the door from the AHL level, don't just give them their NHL spot.

He should not have been given a spot on the team last year, until he played in the AHL and proved he was better than the AHL. And yes, I did say that at the beginning of last year on these forums.

Thats what buffalo does gives high draft picks a golden ticket for free

Is Cozens not one of the Sabres top 12 forwards, based on what we've seen from training camp?

Clearly better than him have been Mitts, Hinostroza...?

I mean you might pick 8 more guys you might have picked over him if you had to make a choice, but clearly better enough to knock him off the roster?

24 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Is Cozens not one of the Sabres top 12 forwards, based on what we've seen from training camp?

Clearly better than him have been Mitts, Hinostroza...?

I mean you might pick 8 more guys you might have picked over him if you had to make a choice, but clearly better enough to knock him off the roster?

I think it is weird revisionist history to say Cozens was put in the NHL without earning it.  He clearly demonstrated that he was one of our top 12 forwards last season.  Being here before he was ready was not discussed by anyone last season, even during his points slump.

Hes feeling the weight of expectation and is gripping his stick too tight.  Nothing more.

• Like (+1) 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/4/2021 at 3:13 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

I expect Cozens to have some good moments and some terrible ones and score about 35 pts.  During his bad moments, I expect people here to call him a bust and say he was rushed to the NHL, especially when Mitts takes off this year.

I don't think anyone's calling him a bust, and there is nothing wrong with sending a kid like him down for a while to get his game back on track. Worked for Mitts, worked for Tage, let it work for Dylan too. Patience. 

2 hours ago, Curt said:

In what ways is Cozens performing worse this season than he did last season?

Worse relative to what we are asking of him, would be my guess at the OP's point. 

Cozens has/is supposed to have a larger role on this team than last year, that's for sure - so there is more "disappointment" there thus far. It's less on Cozens, it's more so on the lineup handlers. 

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

So isn't the goal to improve and take the next step ? He hasn't improved ill say he's regressed at this point

I would say that he has been better this season.  Granted, I’ll admit that I have missed some games.  His statistics are better than last season as well.

2 hours ago, Curt said:

I would say that he has been better this season.  Granted, I’ll admit that I have missed some games.  His statistics are better than last season as well.

He has zero goals 5V5 and 3 points  Even strength and 4  Secondary assist and has been extremely week on the puck 

I know we have high hopes for him but  Can't give him a Pat on the back when he hasn't been good at all 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.