I'm actually excited for this Sabres season, no expectations

LGR4GM

I'm excited for every season. Sometimes the excitement wanes after the first period of Game 1, because if you don't have jump right off the git-go, what does that tell you? I haven't been wrong often using this proxy observation.

I can't wait to see what they look like on 10/14.

• Like (+1) 3

Yes, me too.  I think I bottomed out just before the draft (with the trade of Ristolainen and Reinhart) and I've started to be more positive since.  We drafted some nice prospects that we can follow this year and we are expecting a more "normal" year of hockey for them to develop.  I have always found the Sabres training camps and preseason an exciting time as a fan.  We have some younger players with upside with new hockey deals.  I'm hoping that they trained hard in the off-season and that Granato can have success in getting them to play well (or respectable  😏).  Let's see how they do.  Every team in the league is all potential on day 1 of the new NHL season.

I think these Sabres will work hard and earn everything they achieve.  Including the respect of the fans.  That equals entertainment.

I really believe they will surprise us and the league.  I don't think the playoffs are very realistic, but you never know.  I don't think they will finish DFL and will likely be drafting somewhere around 10th.

Somewhere over the rainbow ...

9 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I agree.  Just take it one game at a time.  No worries about standings wherever they finish they finish 

just entertain me with fast paced , offensive minded hockey 

The other thing I looking forward to is seeing guys not named Dylan Cozens drop the gloves” . this will be a team that stands up for each other.  
won’t be crazy like the mid 90s teams (in terms of fighting) but a team that opponents will have to bring effort in order to beat   

7 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I think these Sabres will work hard and earn everything they achieve.  Including the respect of the fans.  That equals entertainment.

I really believe they will surprise us and the league.  I don't think the playoffs are very realistic, but you never know.  I don't think they will finish DFL and will likely be drafting somewhere around 10th.

Somewhere over the rainbow ...

Wow the optimism coming from the East Coast of Canada!!!  I don’t necessarily agree but I like it 👍

• Like (+1) 2

I like the way Donnie G speaks during his interviews. He seems inspiring and wanting the players to work hard and be allowed to make mistakes, as long as they learn from them. 
I do not expect the playoffs, but have some hope for that, especially if there is a decent return for Jack.

I get puzzled looks when people find out I’m a Sabres fan but I’ve been one a long time and am here for the long run.

Like others have said, just entertain me.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't think this will be a very popular topic or post. Hopefully the negative nancys just bi-pass this thread altogether. 

I am excited for this Sabres season because I personally do not care what they do. I have no expectations for them to finish last, make the playoffs, or really anything else. I just want to watch some mildly entertaining hockey and whatever happens happens. I won't be cheering losses but will always cheer wins and just enjoy watching hockey for the first time in probably 7 years. 

NSFW but this explains how I feel. I just don't care and want to have some fun because it's a kids' game and that's the point.  

I agree wholeheartedly, they will lose more than they will win, but should be fun to watch.

And I watched this at work, because ZFG 

• Like (+1) 1

My only expectation for this season is finishing either dead last or second best of the worst. Sorry, not going to sugar coat my thoughts here. Every year going back a decade I’ve had the feeling that if everything goes right, if no major players suffer injury, if perhaps some of the other teams fall off a cliff we just might sneak in. Its always that way with this ownership. Always making the wrong decision. Never actually getting it right. The mr Bean of the league. A frikkin laughingstock and the Butt of jokes throughout the media and the league. We won’t know if Adams gets it right for another 3,4 or 5 years. There’s a very real possibility they’ll have to start over again if this goes sideways. I’ll be collecting a pension by then. How can you have any confidence with the track record of these owners that they’ll get it right? Anyhoo no real expectation. Call me jaded. I’ve been sold the youth/future promise before.

and sorry, this isn’t the nfl. Don’t care that the Bills finally turned it around. Its not a good analogy.

Edited by bunomatic
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

My fear though is all of this will be overshadowed by the lack of goaltending.

Aaron Dell will provide much better goaltending than anyone here is expecting.  With him, a small workload on Anderson, and the occasional cameo by 6K, we will have mid-tier goaltending, which will be enough to win more than a few games.

• Like (+1) 1

The most fun seasons are when the team beats expectations. As said, when there are no expectations, it can be easy to beat them.

The first year out of the lockout was the best season a lot of fans had. Why?  Most people expected nothing from that team, but they went all the way to the conference finals.   The next year there were a ton of expectations on the team because of that...and for many the season wasn't as 'fun' as the year before because of the high expectations.

Ultimate goal as a sports fans is to win the championship.  Beyond that, if you can't win the championship the next best thing to happen is simply to beat expectations.

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

My only expectation for this season is finishing either dead last or second best of the worst. Sorry, not going to sugar coat my thoughts here. Every year going back a decade I’ve had the feeling that if everything goes right, if no major players suffer injury, if perhaps some of the other teams fall off a cliff we just might sneak in. Its always that way with this ownership. Always making the wrong decision. Never actually getting it right. The mr Bean of the league. A frikkin laughingstock and the Butt of jokes throughout the media and the league. We won’t know if Adams gets it right for another 3,4 or 5 years. There’s a very real possibility they’ll have to start over again if this goes sideways. I’ll be collecting a pension by then. How can you have any confidence with the track record of these owners that they’ll get it right? Anyhoo no real expectation. Call me jaded. I’ve been sold the youth/future promise before.

and sorry, this isn’t the nfl. Don’t care that the Bills finally turned it around. Its not a good analogy.

I think the overwhelming message here is, if you lower your expectations far enough you can be satisfied by what you see.

In that context, I'm practically chubbing over the promise of this season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't think this will be a very popular topic or post. Hopefully the negative nancys just bi-pass this thread altogether. 

I am excited for this Sabres season because I personally do not care what they do. I have no expectations for them to finish last, make the playoffs, or really anything else. I just want to watch some mildly entertaining hockey and whatever happens happens. I won't be cheering losses but will always cheer wins and just enjoy watching hockey for the first time in probably 7 years. 

NSFW but this explains how I feel. I just don't care and want to have some fun because it's a kids' game and that's the point.  

image.jpeg.49f5128ad5b650afe7d8d903f9a453a0.jpeg

Not excited for this season but expect that, like every year, will watch all the games.

If Bales is the miracle worker he's billed as, they could surprise & finish about where @New Scotland (NS) expects.  But pretty sure low 70's & 30-ish is what we're in for.  Which really seems to be the plan for this year.

Just hoping having kids pretty much across the board being forced to be playing 1-2 lines/pairings higher than they should be playing doesn't set them back making NEXT year a repeat of this coming year.  Management seems to expect it won't set them back; hoping they're right.  We shall see soon enough.

33 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Aaron Dell will provide much better goaltending than anyone here is expecting.  With him, a small workload on Anderson, and the occasional cameo by 6K, we will have mid-tier goaltending, which will be enough to win more than a few games.

I don't think the stats bear out what you're saying but I hope you're right. 👍

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Wo ist dis faith in Dell coming from??? I’m mean I hope you are right but it seems like you dreamed it last night and report it here now, lol 

8 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Not excited for this season but expect that, like every year, will watch all the games.

If Bales is the miracle worker he's billed as, they could surprise & finish about where @New Scotland (NS) expects.  But pretty sure low 70's & 30-ish is what we're in for.  Which really seems to be the plan for this year.

Just hoping having kids pretty much across the board being forced to be playing 1-2 lines/pairings higher than they should be playing doesn't set them back making NEXT year a repeat of this coming year.  Management seems to expect it won't set them back; hoping they're right.  We shall see soon enough.

If the goaltending is a disaster this year, is there any reason that next season it won’t be also? So ya, I’m already worried about next season which is, I admit, pathetic, but there it is 

3 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Wo ist dis faith in Dell coming from??? I’m mean I hope you are right but it seems like you dreamed it last night and report it here now, lol 

If the goaltending is a disaster this year, is there any reason that next season it won’t be also? So ya, I’m already worried about next season which is, I admit, pathetic, but there it is 

Yes, there's reason to believe the goaltending won't be a disaster the following year.  Anderson & Dell are on 1 year deals & there will be goalies available in FA and the Sabres will have the proverbial ####load of cap space after Eichel is traded for futures to grab a real #1 & even a real #2 should UPL not be able to raise his game..

The reason to believe goaltending will still be a disaster is the guy that arranged for last year's goaltending disaster & this year's expected disaster will still be at the helm.

And the year after that one of Portillo or Levi will with any luck be ready to step into the 2005 Ryan Miller role.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.