Who's going to be captain?

Buffalonill

Who's going to be captain?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you truly believe will be captain?

• Zemgus Girgensons
    • Kyle Okposo
    • Jeff skinner
    • Craig Anderson
    • Dylan Cozens
    • Other

6 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I have checked the roster and I think that the 'C' on Rasmus (either, but especially the 'D' guy) would add too much pressure.  Dylan and Mitts are not quite ready and also very young.

I think it will have to be a veteran.

My $ (but only play $, of course) is on Skinner (less likely to be another forward) or Pysyk, maybe Miller.  I think it will be one of the two 'D' men.

I tend to agree with your logic but

i just threw up in my mouth a little bit GIF by chuber channel

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This is bizarre.  I figured if we needed to pick someone this season as a captain it would be Kyle Okposo.  I think it's a big mistake to give it to any of the younger players right now but maybe a rotating C like we did in the past would be okay (but it's a bit of a gimmick to me if that's the plan).

Just now, Digger said:

This is bizarre.  I figured if we needed to pick someone this season as a captain it would be Kyle Okposo.  I think it's a big mistake to give it to any of the younger players right now but maybe a rotating C like we did in the past would be okay (but it's a bit of a gimmick to me if that's the plan).

Ew.  Rotating captains?

i just threw up in my mouth a little bit GIF by chuber channel

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

If there were going to be 3 As they would have been announced together.  I think there will be a C.

It is far more likely that the 3rd A will rotate through the D until an actual leader emerges.  The only returning guys other than Miller are all kids.  None of the new vets is above a 3rd liner on any but a handful of rosters.

Could also see the 3rd A going to Anderson as the official reason why the 3rd A rotates.

Says a heck of a lot that there are only 2 guys on the roster that management deemed to be leaders today & neither is close to a 1st liner on more teams than a retired railworker could count on 1 hand.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Good. There's no need to name a Captain. For the past 25 years, every time we get one they get injured or disconnected and get run out of town Force-choked out of command of their Star Destroyer. Let's have some fun for a bit before we get into our weird Capticidal promotion strategies again. And... have someone earn it this time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

If there's no C don't teams usually go with 3 A's? 

As stated earlier, expecting that they'll rotate the 3rd A throughout the D.  The only non-kid that was here last year was Miller & none of the vets that were brought in are exactly top 4 material on any but a few teams.

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

If there's no C don't teams usually go with 3 A's? 

I suspect having only 2 A’s is because the roster is so young and none of them have really demonstrated readiness for a leadership role.

Maybe that changes midseason.

14 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Would love to see Dahlin earn an A.   Right now it’s smart to go with Okposo and Girgs. 

I would have given one of Girgs/Okie the C and given out a third letter to.... somebody, even if the intent was to rotate it around.  I just hate not having a real C.  It implies (to me) a team that doesn't have its ***** together.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I would have given one of Girgs/Okie the C and given out a third letter to.... somebody, even if the intent was to rotate it around.  I just hate not having a real C.  It implies (to me) a team that doesn't have its ***** together.

Well, it really doesn’t.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Implies?!?!

Pretty sure we're beyond the implications stage.  😉

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm a bit confused why anybody would care or waste energy on this. It doesn't matter who they name or don't name for that matter that will mean a hill of beans as to how this season will play out. Is there anybody on this squad that's a sure fire thing to be the best player on this squad in 2 years and lead this team to the promised land, nope. Girgs and Kyle are the longest tenured Sabres and vets on this team, let them keep the A's and hopefully someone will step forward by the end of the year or next. For that matter who cares who's lines everybody is on or what Defensive pairs are put together, does anybody truly believe the right combination of guys will get this team to the playoffs?? Hopefully we'll be entertained and that's the best possible outcome for this season IMO.

Edited by jsb
Typing not to goodly, sorry NS, I know that's your line
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

It does not imply that to me.  To me it reflects the reality that this is a team in a transition period, and who the long term leader(s) will be is not clear.

To me, naming a captain should not be a year to year thing but instead a long term commitment.

• Like (+1) 1

And that's where we disagree.  I think making it a long term thing allows for laziness or privilege to sneak in.  I'd rather see a captain announced every year.  If it's the same one as the year before then good:  He's taking the team in the right direction.  But if the team needs to be shaken up, pick the natural leader on the team.  For instance if I wanted to pick a C from the existing youth, I'd probably go with Mittelstadt.  (Actually with this cast of characters I give him an A and make Okie the C.)  Next year it might be Cozens or Dahlin.  Who is the player the rest of the team follows?  That's your captain.

40 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Implies?!?!

Pretty sure we're beyond the implications stage.  😉

EXACTLY.  And if it's time to move on, then start doing things right.  Name a proper captain.

• Thanks (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, jsb said:

I'm a bit confused why anybody would care or waste energy on this.

To me it's about setting the tone.  It's about moving on from Eichel, about a new start.  It's a different team with a new captain.

Obviously I'm in the minority.  That's fine, it's just my opinion.

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

And that's where we disagree.  I think making it a long term thing allows for laziness or privilege to sneak in.  I'd rather see a captain announced every year.  If it's the same one as the year before then good:  He's taking the team in the right direction.  But if the team needs to be shaken up, pick the natural leader on the team.  For instance if I wanted to pick a C from the existing youth, I'd probably go with Mittelstadt.  (Actually with this cast of characters I give him an A and make Okie the C.)  Next year it might be Cozens or Dahlin.  Who is the player the rest of the team follows?  That's your captain.

The thing is, you shouldn’t name a captain until you know who the natural leaders are.  That’s kind of my whole point.  Thats why they shouldn’t name one yet.

From a human nature perspective, I think we can understand why flip flopping the captaincy between core players year to year is not very practical.  People will get upset.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.