Today's Press Conference 9/23/21 8:30 and 9:15 am

bob_sauve28

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Granato basically says Dahlin is a coach pleaser in that he wants to know what the coach needs him to do. Granato had to tell him he has the answer and knows what to do. 

This 100% in my mind explains why Krueger ruined Dahlin.

Jack Eichel will never play for this team again unless it is a couple games to prove he is healthy enough for a trade. 

A couple of games turns into ten games, then twenty...

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Granato is speaking now

Great clip. The one thing that is obvious is that as a coach one of his strongest attributes is that he has an understanding of the psychology of the player and person. My sense is that he is not a system coach. His approach is to understand what the specific talents are of the individual players and then attempt to put them in the best situation to succeed. He seems to understand the challenging situation he is in and is embracing it. He is the right coach at this time.  

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Great clip. The one thing that is obvious is that as a coach one of his strongest attributes is that he has an understanding of the psychology of the player and person. My sense is that he is not a system coach. His approach is to understand what the specific talents are of the individual players and then attempt to put them in the best situation to succeed. He seems to understand the challenging situation he is in and is embracing it. He is the right coach at this time.  

I thought he kind of did have a system of "Turn and burn." Get moving up ice with speed as quickly as possible and hit the blue line running. Reminded me of how Tampa plays. That's why the drafting of fast players. But that's just my perception 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I thought he kind of did have a system of "Turn and burn." Get moving up ice with speed as quickly as possible and hit the blue line running. Reminded me of how Tampa plays. That's why the drafting of fast players. But that's just my perception 

I agree with you that he does stress a high tempo style of play.  It's not so much a complex system as it is a style of play. But as you pointed out that in itself is a system. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Based on what we saw after he improved their conditioning when Krueger left, I’d say your perception is spot on. He wants speed in every zone from what I saw. Speed and pressure. It’s a good strategy because if you aren’t as talented as the opponent, you especially need to be a pain in the ass to play against. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This is fair. Maybe my gut reaction was wrong.

That would be how I'd have done it.

Not necessarily. The sensations that you are feeling are the same convolution of feelings that all of us are feeling. We would like this saga to be over with and resolved one way or the other.  Sometimes the hardest thing to deal with is not the challenging situation in of itself as much as the length of time it takes for it to be resolved. This high stake issue (for the player and franchise) was never going to be a quick fix situation.  And that is why it has become so exasperating. Maybe the best approach is to put it on the shelf and focus on those who are on the ice.  

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Listening to Granato is such a breath of fresh air.  He seems direct, authentic and passionate, never trying to B.S. or make it about himself. I think he is the right guy to get through this mess.

Indeed.

Even if he maximizes the talent on that roster, it won't be enough to be better than a bottom quartile NHL franchise.  A coach has a limited sphere of influence over an organization.   Even the best coaches need more talent and it's a complete unknown how Adams provides that.  Otherwise, Granato is set up to fail. 

52 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

A couple of games turns into ten games, then twenty...

Are you for real right now.....?

Are there people out there who still think the door is open for an Eichel/Sabres relationship mending?

At this point, the situation looks so toxic that I don’t see how anyone even thinks it’s a good idea for him to come back.

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

Are you for real right now.....?

Are there people out there who still think the door is open for an Eichel/Sabres relationship mending?

At this point, the situation looks so toxic that I don’t see how anyone even thinks it’s a good idea for him to come back.

If he comes back, and he will have to, and there is success, ya, I could see happy smiling faces. In life, anything is possible with winning. If he comes back and they lose, that will just be more frustration and anger (probable outcome, imo) 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

If he comes back, and he will have to, and there is success, ya, I could see happy smiling faces. In life, anything is possible with winning. If he comes back and they lose, that will just be more frustration and anger (probable outcome, imo) 

No offense, but I think this take is delusional.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

While Granato says he will not be conservative, a few blowout losses early on, may change his mind. 😉

I think that depends on the specific types of mistakes being made on the ice and by whom that lead to the blowout losses. DG strikes me as someone who finds teaching opportunities, regardless. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I think that depends on the specific types of mistakes being made on the ice and by whom that lead to the blowout losses. DG strikes me as someone who finds teaching opportunities, regardless. 

When he finds out he doesn’t have a single goalie who can stop a puck?  Then what? 😱

Edited by LabattBlue

4 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

When he finds out he doesn’t have a single goalie who can stop a puck?  Then what?

That's the fear.  If the GTing is as bad as expected, the team will necessarily learn bad habits in their own end as massive shot suppression will be required.  But that will actually result in more HQ chances than if they just play it straight.

You can hide a lot of weaknesses to a degree.  But awful goaltending is there for all to see.

Hopefully Bales lives up to his reputation or this will become an interminably long season. 

5 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

We could possibly be a Stanley cup container and then Jacks tays for the run and we win the cup ..

Or it might be the 6 shots of whiskey I just took

That's entirely plausible since I thought you were referring to knockoff Tupperware.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.