What do you expect from: #21 Kyle Okposo?

dudacek

What do you expect from: #21 Kyle Okposo?   

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best describes what you think the Sabres will get from Okposo this year?

• He's done and he doesn't fit the youth movement. He'll lose his job to faster legs and be a non-factor before the year is over.
    • He'll be leaned on in a leadership role and be a contributing but low-offence member of the bottom six
    • He'll be asked to do more offensively in support of some the youngsters and respond with his best season in years.

Believe it or not Kyle Okposo is in the sixth and penultimate season of a 7-year deal that will probably end up in GM textbooks as an illustration of how not to approach free agency.

Okposo has the dubious distinction of having seen his stats drop in each and every year of a $42 million deal that pays him to be a top-six forward. He, along with Girgensons, are the only players on the roster who have played more than 200 games in blue and gold.

Over the past few seasons he has redeemed himself in the eyes of many Sabres watchers by remaking himself into a useful bottom six forward (disregarding the contract) and one the team's more likable class acts.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=93992

Last season was an odd one for Kyle. He started off with 1 point his first 18 games. He then reeled off 10 points in an 11 game stretch after Granato took over — his best stretch ever in a Sabre uniform — until Matt Irwin decided he had seen enough. That surprising point run happened during a stretch where he was moved from his 4th-line grinder role to a spot in the top six, where he was playing 15 to 20 minutes a game.

What do you expect from Okposo this season?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Bottom 6 with good leadership skills.  He is a good speaker in interviews.  He will be an Assistant or possible Captain until one of the younger players emerge.  He will be a good player for us this season although will remain over paid for the remainder of his contract (obviously).

This is weird and very Sabres, but a team that has Girgensons, Caggiula, Hinostroza, Bjork, Asplund, Hayden and Eakin in the lineup on any given day, needs Kyle Okposo to do more than just shut people down.

I think projecting Kyle as a 4th-line hard-minutes guy is a mistake based on how Krueger used him. Donnie didn't use a grind line.

Those minutes played stats in April were eye-opening:

2131633837_ScreenShot2021-09-23at5_54_51AM.thumb.png.717da394a872bac6fe8321f35a7d86de.png

I think both Kyle and Donnie think the old warhorse has more skill than Krueger gave him credit for and wouldn't be surprised to see Kyle on Cozens' flank, or getting some PP minutes.

Okposo's age and career trend line says that won't last and injuries seem inevitable. But common sense says somebody has to score on this team. it won't be much — 30 points? — but I think that guy might be Kyle.

9 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

My call on Kyle Okposo is complex; bottom 6 by offencive function but top 6 by ice time.  He, Zemgus, and whoever is their linemate will be leaned upon to take some tough minutes, particularly on the road.

And if they play well together, as they have in the past, they will be a real help. I like Skinner being with them to capitalize on their forecheck 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, dudacek said:

What did you think of Kyle's play in April?

Obviously there was an uptick in the garbagiest of garbage time, but I'm not inclined to weigh that blip more heavily than what we've seen over the last 6 years. 

He seems like a good guy and I wish him well.  I'm not going to pretend though that he's been anything other than completely useless on the ice and probably the biggest FA disappointment in team history.

14 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Obviously there was an uptick in the garbagiest of garbage time, but I'm not inclined to weigh that blip more heavily than what we've seen over the last 6 years. 

He seems like a good guy and I wish him well.  I'm not going to pretend though that he's been anything other than completely useless on the ice and probably the biggest FA disappointment in team history.

Ville Leino. 

winning independence day GIF by IFC

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

To be our new tank commander

Will you shut the hell up with this tank nonsense?????

Really!!  You saying it over and over does not make it reality.  You are so annoying.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I expect Okposo to be Captain in everything but name only. He's the leader of the this team now. 

I think there is a reasonable likelyhood that he actually wears the 'C'.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.