Rasmus Dahlin signs 3 years 6 Million AAV Contract with Sabres

Brawndo

7 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I expected him to be showing us a little more at this point, but who knows which way is up or down with this team. Is anyone good? Is everyone bad? No idea.

I think we would have had it not been for Krueger.  Under Meatballs, he's shown he can thrive.

Just about the entire rest of the team is a bag of question marks, however, which is... not good.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Exactly my point. The are a *myriad* of things. overpaying a player being one, that "just don't matter" BECAUSE of the strategy KA has conveniently picked out. In any regular situation an overpay isn't good....fielding a truly putrid roster isn't good....but SO MANY things that make up the usual barometer for a successful organization can be literally swept under the rug by fans/the team because "well, we aren't actually trying to compete"

Said it countless times. Plenty KA is doing within the strategy makes sense, within the context of that strategy. My sticking point is that a strategy that doesn't call for winning as a priority is a bad strategy and, unfortunately, my argument is being proven in real time - do you think things like overpays, bad records, poor looking rosters, friction with franchise players, are symptoms of a good plan?

What we are seeing is the smoke that comes along with a poorly chosen pathway. 

This is what got us here in the first place. Looking for a shortcut.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This is what got us here in the first place. Looking for a shortcut.

Again, shortcuts were deemed to be necessary to beef up the roster after it had been utterly decimated in pursuit of a tank. The rebuild failed because the degree of difficulty was made to be so high, made such by the decision to undertake a scorched earth tank. Stripping the roster of nearly all talent, and expecting all those holes to be adequately filled, was asking for trouble - right from the beginning. Making hockey trades wasn't a bad idea, in theory - the execution of those trades was poor. 

It's going to be tough to get much better execution this time around when we are looking to fill a similar amount of holes. The roster is decimated. Less so by choice this time, but plenty still by choice, and the roster looks every bit as bad. 

I think KA should have done everything in his power to mold this into a winning team for this coming season, not undertake a "patient rebuild". This is my stance. 

Execute Order Sixty-Five!

Good deal for Dahlin. Gets decent money during the flat cap, can still negotiate a big new deal on a rising cap if needed, or can sign an RFA offer sheet, or only sign a one-year deal to become an UFA if we're spinning our skates under yet another GM/coach combo in 2024 where we've elected to start drafting big, heavy guys because the Rangers win a Cup after their offseason of "only add grit."

Edited by DarthEbriate

This seems OK.  I probably would've preferred a 6+ year deal, as having this one end only 1 year prior to UFA makes me a bit uneasy, but as others have noted it's fairly likely that Rasmus wasn't interested in committing to this poopshow for that kind of term.

This way, the Sabres have 3 years to show Rasmus that they are worthy of his prime, and he has 3 years to show the NHL that he's worthy of a top-tier contract.  If both sides are happy they can sign an extension in 2 years.

A lot can happen in 3 years, so I wouldn't assume that Rasmus has implemented the "GTFO ASAP" plan.

1 hour ago, Gabrielor said:

Should've went shorter if he didn't want to go long.

Players and their agents expect teams to prove themselves before inking long term deals regardless of money offered.    

If the Sabres are winning in the playoffs then I can see Dahlin re-signing long term.  If not, well, it'll go a way Buffalo fans know all too well.   

So that moron Kreuger's parting gift was making our idiotic management think Dahlin needs to "prove it" and all but walk him to UFA instead of do what a non stupid organization would've done and make him the franchise cornerstone. Anyone more intelligent than a sea sponge could see the idiocy of Ralph was what was killing him and the second he was fired Dahlin did a complete 180.

• Like (+1) 2

I have been very clear and upfront on my desire for the Sabres to sign him long-term.

8 x $8 or $9 will be a bargain by year 3.

I have to assume that the Sabres wanted to do the 8 year thing, but Dahlin and his agent said 'stop the bus'.

If they do not attempt to sign him to an extension at the end of year 2 I expect Dahlin to leave at the first opportunity.

They could have bought 4 UFA years here.  3 years is only very slightly better than a 4 year deal.  If they could not convince him to do 8 years the Sabres should have gone for 2 years, although I don't like that much either.  

I really am fearful that this will come back to bit the Sabres in the ass.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I have been very clear and upfront on my desire for the Sabres to sign him long-term.

I have to assume that the Sabres wanted to do the 8 year thing, but Dahlin and his agent said 'stop the bus'.

If they do not attempt to sign him to an extension at the end of year 2 I expect Dahlin to leave at the first opportunity.

They could have bought 4 UFA years here.  3 years is only very slightly better than a 4 year deal.  If they could not convince him to do 8 years the Sabres should have gone for 2 years, although I don't like that much either.  

How could the Sabres have done all that if Dahlin and his agent said “stop the bus?”

65... 65...  You know that means tomorrow's press conference is going to be especially fun when GM Sheevyn steps up to the lecturn, pulls a dark hood up over his head, cackles, sends a visible electrical shock from his fingertips to a microphone as he adjusts it, cackles a bit more, and then announces:

"The journey to GM has left me scarred and deformed, but I assure you my resolve has never been stronger. The disconnect is over. <applause> The JBotts and RaKrus have been defeated, <more polite applause> and the Tank-a-thon has been foiled. We stand on the threshold of a new beginning! As part of Order 66, Jackikin Eichwalker will renounce his captaincy of the Tank Order and take his place at my side as my new apprentice!" <visible confusion (of the press)>

In the first preseason game, Eichwalker skates onto the ice warmups sporting a cape, a new dark-tinted visor, and a red-bladed stick. During the anthems, he doffs the cape to show his new nameplate "DarthSabre". In the postgame presser, DarthSabre talks of "his new Empire" and only his newfound Power can help save the Padme Cup.

Oki-pos-obi talks from his own locker about how DarthSabre was a pupil of his until he turned to evil and that DarthSabre betrayed and murdered Jackikin Eichwalker, so what was disconnected was true, from a certain point of view.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

This only is a problem if the Sabres and Dahlin fail to show improvement over those two years.

So, fair point.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Personally, I'm a fan of walking a player to his final RFA year. I think it's a smart strategy. YMMV. 

It’s a smart strategy when that player is in a healthy environment.  When you are still figuring out how to build that environment it is alot safer to lock them up long term so you have control should they get antsy while you are still figuring it out.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Weave said:

It’s a smart strategy when that player is in a healthy environment.  When you are still figuring out how to build that environment it is alot safer to lock them up long term so you have control should they get antsy while you are still figuring it out.

If the Sabres haven't found a way to fall bassackwards into a playoff spot by the end of this contract then he would probably be looking to John Eichel his way out no matter what contract he signed and no one will be watching the team anymore anyway.

So I've been trying to figure out why the deal was structured with a $7.2MM final year and I have some ideas:

1) Playing for the Sabres sucks right now because the playoffs are unlikely for at least 2 years so it's going to cost us $

2) $7.2MM is right in between offer sheet tiers of $6.2M (1st & 3rd) and $8.2M (1st & 2nd & 3rd) and these tiers update every year based on average salary - are we already preparing for Dahlin to be offer sheeted if we suck again in 3 years?  

3) We can buy a 4th year from him for $7.2MM if he really doesn't want to sign and we can't move him.  That basically has him playing for his UFA deal, whiles still making a lot of money, which isn't a bad situation if we do suck again

Am I over thinking this with my Sabres Suck again glasses on?

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!

3 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Why do you assume the Sabres wanted a long term deal?  Knowing how this off-season has gone, they're not in big spending mode.  

I do think it's equally likely that the player and agent are going to use these 3 years to gauge how the team improves.  Especially considering his production depends on their forward depth which right now is among the worst in the NHL.  

My best guess is, 3 years works for the Sabres because they're not trying to spend a lot now as the team continues to lose money.  And, for the player/agent to see what changes for the better in those 3 seasons.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.