What do you expect from: #20 Cody Eakin?

dudacek

Cody Eakin  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best describes what you think the Sabres will get from Eakin this year?

• He will come to camp focused on saving his career and do so, reverting to the capable 3C of a few years ago
    • He will be the usual 4C, and adequate in that role
    • He will be in and out of the lineup as a spare forward
    • He's done as a Sabre, he won't making the team out of camp and will be waived

Picked in the 3rd round of the 2009 draft, Cody Eakin carved out a respectable 10-year NHL career as a 3rd line 2-way centre.

After some impressive playoff runs over his career, his numbers fell off a cliff two years ago in Vegas and he was dispatched to Winnipeg at the deadline.

The Sabres read his fall as a blip, signing him to a 2-year deal at a $2.2 million cap hit during the pandemic return, considerably more than the going rate for most players of his stature that fall.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=99396

Buffalo broke and Eakin busted along with them, posting some of the worst numbers of his career.

He fell out of favour under Don Granato and spent most of the home stretch on the bench or in the press box.

What do you expect from Eakin this season?

Edited by dudacek

Great hair. 

- - - 

Unless Quinn makes the team or something, I think their lack of quality centres keeps Eakin in the lineup. Already have them switching Ruotsalainen over to C and that still leaves a spot. Could be Asplund but I think they keep him with Casey and it could be Girgs but he’s been at W for a while now. 

Expect Eakin holds down a C spot so I voted with option 2. “Adequate”” provides an obstacle in casting that vote but considering the expectations for the team from management, was able to work around that 

1 hour ago, Weave said:

In and out of the lineup.  He’ll probably see 40 games because injuries, otherwise it’s more likely he’d see 25-30 games.  Basically a standard back up goalies workload.

While actually playing goal, presumably, considering who we have in there right now

• Haha (+1) 2

I would much rather see Cozens and Mittelstadt playing 25 minutes each a night at centre and Rasmus Dahlin moving up to play the other 10 on opening night than Eakin.

MacInnis, Hayden, Girgensons, Asplund, Quinn, Okposo, Matt Ellis, Doug Allen…everyone and anyone else deserves a shot first.

There is a slim possibility that a rejuvenated Cody Eakin might show up to camp and save his career.

But going into camp with perhaps the worst player on the worst team in the league pencilled into the starting lineup would be a huge mistake that tells the room and the fans that management simply doesn't get it.

If I was Don Granato, I would have made it crystal clear to Cody Eakin this summer that he in not among his top 12 up front and that if he wants to play he will have to make the tea in training camp.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

There is a slim possibility that a rejuvenated Cody Eakin might show up to camp and save his career.

But going into camp with perhaps the worst player on the worst team in the league pencilled into the starting lineup would be a huge mistake that tells the room and the fans that management simply doesn't get it.

If I was Don Granato, I would have made it crystal clear to Cody Eakin this summer that he in not among his top 12 up front and that if he wants to play he will have to make the tea in training camp.

The problem is, this isn't true

He'll be the 13th F.

Injuries will get him about 20 games.  He'll need to actually do something besides winning faceoffs to keep the guys in Ra-cha-cha from taking the other 20-60 opportunities away from him.  If he tops 30 games something went even more awry than we currently expect.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.