Brian Duff and Marty Biron to Take Over The Instigators

Brawndo

Unlike quite a few commenting here... I give great kudos to both Craig and Andrew. They were cutting edge and sometimes just cutting... BUT THEY were the REAL Deal!  I enjoy Marty who is REAL as well... as his analysis is very incisive.  Duffer is smooth and professional... Precisely what Andrew and Craig were in a certain way not... which on the whole the sometimes raw nature of their discourse and delivery is what made THEIR show such a "Hate to Miss" daily event.  Like I said the REAL DEAL!  Straight from the bench, the ice and the locker room.  Will continue to listen... As a lifelong Sabre FAN since Day One...Who "used to park my car next to Gilbert Perreault #11 at Sabreland  (Open Hockey $5) many years ago.. I look forward to running into Craig and Andrew ( when I move back to Buffalo... living in Florida)... just to tell them how much I enjoyed their banter even when it was not the most exciting stuff!  Marty and Duffer need to be creative and try and find that "Cutting Edge" like the boys had! Go SABRES!   Russ, Dade City Fl. #Surfin-EZ

• Like (+1) 1

Listened to it today on replay.  Not much mentioned about the changes made to the show other than wishing Peters and Rivet the best and saying that change is inevitable in life.

The show was okay but different for sure.  Duff sets up the scenarios and questions followed by Marty talking non stop with Duff saying (hmm or right).  They really will need to get some guests onto the show like Friedman or Dreger to help break up the show.

Maybe they will be better after an actual game (the day after analysis).

5 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I wasn’t trying to be negative.  I am open to hearing any positive spins to this.  I guess if a person doesn't like Rivet and Peters that could be a positive to that group of people.  Other than that, for hockey fans, its more Marty and Duffer.  We already get them at and after every game.  I think they do a nice job but what about hearing some new takes on the team from others?  

What ownership did was give us less Sabres talk with fewer people in the discussion.  Clearly a move that gives more control of the messaging and cost them less money too.  That is my take. 

I hope the rumor of the Instigators starting their own podcast is true.  I would like to hear more opinions and more guests.  

There you go again. You assume the Sabres (Terry & Kim) reduced the amount of hockey talk. Since these changes occurred after the new Bills radio deal with WGR, what if WGR asked for less hockey talk? After all the Bills are SB contenders and the Sabres are...well, the Sabres.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, inkman said:

So you are telling me, having a winning team changes how fans perceive their team?  

Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

It's not just about winning. Of course that is important. This team has to say the least been unentertaining for a long time. On top of that the extended organizational dysfunction led by the clueless ownership has snuffed out much of the already waning interest. When you are in the entertainment business and don't entertain the customers spend their money elsewhere. 

17 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It's not just about winning. Of course that is important. This team has to say the least been unentertaining for a long time. On top of that the extended organizational dysfunction led by the clueless ownership has snuffed out much of the already waning interest. When you are in the entertainment business and don't entertain the customers spend their money elsewhere. 

I agree playing an entertaining style is a plus but if you aren’t winning it won’t matter much.  The Bills were criticized right up until the unprecedented 2020 season where Josh Allen exploded on the scene and somehow all of the coaches started doing things that made sense.  Up until then, the Bills weren’t much different than the Sabres. 

• Like (+1) 1

So the Sabres have their own version of One Bills Drive now? No thank you on listening to company yes men pushing the company narratives.

To me, the reduction to one hour is about dollars. The NFL is king and drives advertising and listeners. Even in good times, the NHL isn’t close. While being a parody of an NHL franchise, the gap between the Sabres and Bills has probably never been wider than it is right now.

On 9/20/2021 at 4:38 PM, Digger said:

and because Marty talks so quickly he'll be able to jam two hours of content into one.  😏

You may have just figured it all out. PSE cuts costs again by cutting the show down to an hour, but getting a host that can cram in double the info in that time...

Its most likely more cost cutting for PSE. They cut the show down to 1 hour to give more time to their successful franchise, and because of that probably offered Peters and Rivet half the salary to host a 1 hour show knowing they would probably walk. Since they still have Marty and Duff it would be difficult to have a 1 hour show with 4 guys

On 9/20/2021 at 4:47 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Marty has an accent?

If you listen closely you can faintly hear it

7 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Uhhh, because it was made up, stated as a fact, and reacted to as a fact. See the next post.

Promo is short circuiting today everyone.  His circuits are not programmed to differentiate opinions and facts.   I told him I was stating my opinion.  Twice.  But he says I’m stating it “as a fact”.  Which is even worse.   I didn’t realize I had the power to state my opinion as a fact.  I don’t  think I do.    

7 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

There you go again. You assume the Sabres (Terry & Kim) reduced the amount of hockey talk. Since these changes occurred after the new Bills radio deal with WGR, what if WGR asked for less hockey talk? After all the Bills are SB contenders and the Sabres are...well, the Sabres.

The ratio of Bills to Sabres talk is pretty lopsided, as it should be given the status of the two teams. 

MY OPINION, is that ownership wants less hockey talk, and controlled hockey talk, as they embark on yet another rebuild with their 4th GM and 7th coach in 10 years.   If that was my track record I would get off the airwaves too.  

I promise I won’t post my opinion on this again.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eanyills said:

So the Sabres have their own version of One Bills Drive now? No thank you on listening to company yes men pushing the company narratives.

To me, the reduction to one hour is about dollars. The NFL is king and drives advertising and listeners. Even in good times, the NHL isn’t close. While being a parody of an NHL franchise, the gap between the Sabres and Bills has probably never been wider than it is right now.

It’s been PSE sponsored radio all along. 

• Like (+1) 1

Since some are calling this a cost-cutting move, I wonder what the Sabres might be saving.

Dont imagine cutting 200 hours of air time annually - that is subsidized by sponsors - would be a huge chunk of money.

Dont imagine Peters and Rivet are making much either.

Anyone have any idea? 

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Since some are calling this a cost-cutting move, I wonder what the Sabres might be saving.

Dont imagine cutting 200 hours of air time annually - that is subsidized by sponsors - would be a huge chunk of money.

Dont imagine Peters and Rivet are making much either.

Anyone have any idea? 

The Sabres offered them contract extensions and they turned them down. Obviously no details on salaries etc have been revealed. But I wonder if Peters / Rivet simply thought they were worth more

7 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

It’s been PSE sponsored radio all along. 

Yes, I understand. Nowhere did I say it wasn’t a PSE show.

Have you ever listened to OBL? Petey and Rivet were nowhere near the level of towing the company line like Murph, Brown, Tasker, etc., were/are. I can see Duff and Marty being much closer to the OBL model.

Edited by eanyills

5 hours ago, Trettioåtta said:

The Sabres offered them contract extensions and they turned them down. Obviously no details on salaries etc have been revealed. But I wonder if Peters / Rivet simply thought they were worth more

Given they cut the show to one hour, they were probably asked to take a significant pay cut.  Then they walked. Makes sense to me. 

11 minutes ago, inkman said:

Given they cut the show to one hour, they were probably asked to take a significant pay cut.  Then they walked. Makes sense to me. 

Easy for me to say, but why not stay on and either hope to grow the program, or at the very least, stay on until you have a better option…other than a podcast from your basement which brings in little money, and has 50 listeners. 

46 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Easy for me to say, but why not stay on and either hope to grow the program, or at the very least, stay on until you have a better option…other than a podcast from your basement which brings in little money, and has 50 listeners. 

Yes good points.

People seem to either like the show or hate it.  I remember when it first went on the air and I thought it really sucked off the start.  In my opinion the show really improved and on most days I enjoyed listening to the talk (even in the off season when there is very little NHL content to discuss).  I think Peters especially was proud of how the show improved and then having the show cut to 1 hour without much consultation with him and most likely a pay cut with the new contract decided to walk away.  It's pride.

Remember when Coach Nolan was offered a 1 year contract after winning but under a new GM.  Same thing, it's pride instead of realizing that there are limited jobs available to him in the NHL.  In my opinion he should have swallowed his pride and took the job.

29 minutes ago, Digger said:

Remember when Coach Nolan was offered a 1 year contract after winning but under a new GM.  Same thing, it's pride instead of realizing that there are limited jobs available to him in the NHL.  In my opinion he should have swallowed his pride and took the job.

Agree with this part entirely. Not sure Peters has much chance outside Buffalo-related hockey. Rivet has a couple other teams he could try to latch onto. And I'm not sure there's a making a living wage path forward with their own podcast, although maybe they could float for awhile tapping into the Negative Buffalo Fan market and bad-mouth the team for 2 hours an episode. Not sure what sponsors are up for that though.

13 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Promo is short circuiting today everyone.  His circuits are not programmed to differentiate opinions and facts.   I told him I was stating my opinion.  Twice.  But he says I’m stating it “as a fact”.  Which is even worse.   I didn’t realize I had the power to state my opinion as a fact.  I don’t  think I do.    

....I promise I won’t post my opinion on this again.  

"[It] can be looked at as another cost cutting move.  The Sabres marketing takes another hit.  Two less voices to hear from. I don’t  like it   Perhaps Rivet and Petey were too controversial for Kim and Terry?   
I really wish they would sell the team to a local interest. "

I think I owe you an apology. Re-reading this the bolded indicates opinion. I'm very sensitive these days to manufactured controversy in the political world. Where someone makes an outlandish statement, it gets repeated by someone, then it qualifies as news. It's possible there is more to Petey & Riv getting replaced than is being reported. It all happened too fast. Maybe Peters was really pissed off at losing an hour of his show? Maybe they said some things that irked PSE? Hopefully someone will get the facts and share them.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I think I owe you an apology. Re-reading this the bolded indicates opinion. I'm very sensitive these days to manufactured controversy in the political world. Where someone makes an outlandish statement, it gets repeated by someone, then it qualifies as news. It's possible there is more to Petey & Riv getting replaced than is being reported. It all happened too fast. Maybe Peters was really pissed off at losing an hour of his show? Maybe they said some things that irked PSE? Hopefully someone will get the facts and share them.

It’s cool Promo.    Let’s move on to a better topic.  

I am feeling the effects of 10 miserable seasons all jumbled together.  I started going to the Aud to watch the AHL Bisons games when I was 7 or 8 years old.  I used to watch HNIC on TV using the rotary antenna on our roof.  We had Sabres season tickets from the first year on.    I doubt I would even like hockey if those years of my life, ages 8 thru 18, were during this terrible period that we are in.   The Sabres could lose an entire generation of fans.      It is taking a toll on me. 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.