Brian Duff and Marty Biron to Take Over The Instigators

Brawndo

36 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What I meant is you made up a bunch of stuff to rant about. It doesn't matter if you think it's true.

I didn’t make up anything.  I can voice my opinions and my thoughts, and I did.  Reviewing the thread, several others seem to agree with me.  

Edited by Pimlach

Tremendous disappointment to hear this!!!
The instigators with Rivet & Peters-has been the ONLY sports talk show in Buffalo with any backbone & integrity for years!

Local networks-WGR-Buffalo News all suck and boring!

I’m Sick of listening to Hammy as the only Hockey voice in Buffalo

In my humble opinion another example of the ineptitude of the current Sabres organization and reinforcement that as a 20++ year season ticket holder why I cancelled my season tickets this year ~2 months ago- still waiting for my refund Sabres!!!??

Rivet & Peters are legit, have played the game & have Always been honest-

Not-sure what is happening in this organization but looking piss poor going into this season!!!
Com’on MAN !!!!!!!!

9 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

The Placaters works as a name in relation to the new show, but I highly doubt Kim would approve of it. 

Then how about the Play Daters?  Those of us "cool kids in the know" could still dis it and call it the Placaters, but management would be none the wiser.  😉

PS - Both Biron & Duff are good at what they do, but not sure an hour long intermission show would work.

19 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Then how about the Play Daters?  Those of us "cool kids in the know" could still dis it and call it the Placaters, but management would be none the wiser.  😉

PS - Both Biron & Duff are good at what they do, but not sure an hour long intermission show would work.

I like Biron a lot, and don’t mind Duffer, I just don’t think the duo has anything edgy or of interest to offer. 

10 hours ago, JohnC said:

Maybe when the team becomes more relevant the air time will increase for the hockey show? The western NY and adjacent Canadian area have been a hockey hotbed. However, the long term irrelevancy of the Sabres has depressed a market that should be very vibrant. I'm confident that if the on ice product improves there will be an increase in the fan interest and coverage of this team. It's going to take time to win the trust of this dwindling fanbase back.  

All of this is true but we're talking one hour vs two and to add to Bills coverage is ,at this point, gross overkill.

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I like Biron a lot, and don’t mind Duffer, I just don’t think the duo has anything edgy or of interest to offer. 

Which is why an hour long version of their intermission show likely won't work.

Though IMHO Biron's takes are interesting as he does have a very solid understanding of the game.  Duff also understands the game well but somehow manages to make everything seem rather bland, or matter of fact to use a less disparaging term.  He's good as the straight man allowing Marty to expound, but there will almost definitely be nothing edgy in the show.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Though IMHO Biron's takes are interesting as he does have a very solid understanding of the game.  Duff also understands the game well but somehow manages to make everything seem rather bland, or matter of fact to use a less disparaging term.  He's good as the straight man allowing Marty to expound, but there will almost definitely be nothing edgy in the show.

He won't let Marty talk. He's no Blessing to Roby.

1 hour ago, Radar said:

All of this is true but we're talking one hour vs two and to add to Bills coverage is ,at this point, gross overkill.

The local market is unquestionably more interested in the Bills than the Sabres. They are simply a more compelling story. The Sabres need to become more relevant and entertaining in order for their market and coverage to increase. 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Speculation here is that Peters and Rivet are starting a Podcast., not confirmed though 

Over/under on number of podcasts before Petey goes all "*****" and "*****"?

12 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Lol, it's not hard to find people here who agree with any negative take, true or otherwise.

How can a take be true or false?

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Of all the hockey analysts and commentators covering the Sabres Biron is (in my opinion) the most knowledgeable about the team's players and the rest of the league. Whether the congenial Marty and Duff can mesh as a duo to satisfy the audience is another matter. One area where he excels at (in my opinion) is when he talks about the relationship between players and their contract value/worth. He certainly is adept at evaluating goalies. One thing he has repeatedly said before Ullmark signed with Boston is that he would want to retain him but would not be willing to go beyond what he would consider his worth was. So it seems to me that he agreed with the organization unwillingness to sign Ullmark at the contract he wanted with us. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Lol, it's not hard to find people here who agree with any negative take, true or otherwise.

I wasn’t trying to be negative.  I am open to hearing any positive spins to this.  I guess if a person doesn't like Rivet and Peters that could be a positive to that group of people.  Other than that, for hockey fans, its more Marty and Duffer.  We already get them at and after every game.  I think they do a nice job but what about hearing some new takes on the team from others?  

What ownership did was give us less Sabres talk with fewer people in the discussion.  Clearly a move that gives more control of the messaging and cost them less money too.  That is my take. 

I hope the rumor of the Instigators starting their own podcast is true.  I would like to hear more opinions and more guests.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Speculation here is that Peters and Rivet are starting a Podcast., not confirmed though 

Yes I thought that might be the case.  Sportsnet let go some of their talent a while ago.  Nick Kypreos started his own podcast, Bob McCown with John Shannon.  Heck even Don Cherry started his own telling stories with his son and daughter helping with the flow..

There are not many independent Sabres shows available.  The Hockey Writers has Sabres Scoop.  Melody Martin, Roam Hockey and a few others cover the Sabres but not too much compared to other teams.

I wonder if they own the name "The Instigators"?  Doesn't fit with Marty and Duff.

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

The local market is unquestionably more interested in the Bills than the Sabres. They are simply a more compelling story. The Sabres need to become more relevant and entertaining in order for their market and coverage to increase. 

So you are telling me, having a winning team changes how fans perceive their team?  

Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Digger said:

Yes I thought that might be the case.  Sportsnet let go some of their talent a while ago.  Nick Kypreos started his own podcast, Bob McCown with John Shannon.  Heck even Don Cherry started his own telling stories with his son and daughter helping with the flow..

There are not many independent Sabres shows available.  The Hockey Writers has Sabres Scoop.  Melody Martin, Roam Hockey and a few others cover the Sabres but not too much compared to other teams.

I wonder if they own the name "The Instigators"?  Doesn't fit with Marty and Duff.

The Instigator Podcast , Expected Buffalo, Charging Buffalo are all weekly Sabres based Podcasts 

Talking Buffalo Podcast has Joe Yerdon on every Friday who talks about the Sabres  as well 

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.