Kevyn Adams Discloses in his Presser that Eichel is No Longer the Buffalo Sabres Captain

Brawndo

14 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

For GMKA ... what was helpful or necessary about this statement about the captaincy?

If you watched the press conference you would better understand. The captaincy removal was not a statement voluntarily made. He was asked directly by Paul Hamilton during the Q&A if Jack would still be Captain this year. I thought GMKA did a good job of being open as he could with all that's going on without disparaging anyone (especially Eichel).  He answered the Q's he was asked.

It is a tough situation and he is being above reproach in how he speaks about it in public.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

For GMKA ... what was helpful or necessary about this statement about the captaincy?

It wasn't necessary.  I think it was helpful though.  It was a demarcation of the end of the Eichel era.  Even if Eichel plays for the Sabres again, it feels like it's not all about him anymore.  It's helpful for Donny Granato to remove Jack as a distraction during training camp.  They're moving on from being Eichel's team, even if he does again suit up for them.

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

But NOT collecting early draft talent usually means you AREN'T going to win big. 

And as far as Bostons top line being the best?  I don't agree and many others don't agree.  

Let me bottom line it for you.  Collecting early draft talent may not ENSURE winning, but it sure as hell gives you a better chance than teams that don't have it.

Um, what? A few years back they were a positive against every line they played a against for the entire year. The year after that, they were a positive against every line but one (Okoposo, Girgs, and Larsson.) They we’re called the Perfection Line.

Look, whether or not you think you have to get worse in order to get better, that’s an opinion, and I will never change mine. Maybe not last season, but that line being the best line for a long time is a fact,... and they were drafted 25th, 25th, and 45th.

• Like (+1) 3

I thought Adams was fine at the PC.  Lots of discussion about him de-frocking Jack of his C. According to Adams, Jack himself said he does not want be a distraction.  Nothing KA said about Jack and the C is a worry to me.  

Let’s all face it.  Jack does not want to be a Sabre and he does expect to keep the C.  

• Like (+1) 1

I mean really, we all know the best scenario was to make a good trade months ago and be done with it, but since that didn't (or couldn't) happen the absolute LEAST Adams could do was strip the C. 

I have to say I really like the sentence where he says the "captain is the heartbeat of the team" . It implies two things imo (which may or may not be true, but they're nice words all the same). 1. He's trying to build a team with TEAM first and maybe a little fire in their belly, a little desire, an actual pulse.   and 2. He's saying Eichel was a crap captain and that entire culture built around Jack has to go, and is gone. 

At least i hope that's it. 

• Like (+1) 2

Well this certainly made all the headlines about the Sabres this morning.  Eichel stripped of his captaincy.  I don't think that it was as callous as the news reports are making it out to be but it does make for a great headline.

Personally I think it would have been smarter to just say Eichel failed his physical and will continue his treatments away from the team.  

41 minutes ago, Digger said:

Well this certainly made all the headlines about the Sabres this morning.  Eichel stripped of his captaincy.  I don't think that it was as callous as the news reports are making it out to be but it does make for a great headline.

Personally I think it would have been smarter to just say Eichel failed his physical and will continue his treatments away from the team.  

I saw all the media headlines.  “Stripped of his Captaincy” is a bit sensational.  

Listen to Adams entire presser, it was not that dramatic.  There is another way to look at it … “Eichel abdicates his Captaincy”.   To me, the later is more accurate since he is on contract.  Either way, it’s time to move on.  

This really is another extreme low for the franchise.  Both sides played a role. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I saw all the media headlines.  “Stripped of his Captaincy” is a bit sensational.  

Listen to Adams entire presser, it was not that dramatic.  There is another way to look at it … “Eichel abdicates his Captaincy”.   To me, the later is more accurate since he is on contract.  Either way, it’s time to move on.  

This really is another extreme low for the franchise.  Both sides played a role. 

The only “role” I see the Sabres having played is their collectively bargained and legally protected role in determining and recommending a prescribed course of treatment. Period. These drama queens in the media with their childish narratives and click bait headlines are absolutely clueless to the facts. 

• Like (+1) 4

15 hours ago, SwampD said:

Um, what? A few years back they were a positive against every line they played a against for the entire year. The year after that, they were a positive against every line but one (Okoposo, Girgs, and Larsson.) They we’re called the Perfection Line.

Um What? you got that right.   A few years back?  I don't care if they were 'considered' the best line a few years back.  They aren't anymore.  Anyway, it STILL doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of cup winners (and president trophy winners) have multiple high draft picks on the team.  You keep saying you don't need it, but the facts are most of the time you actually do.  

Is the goal of the Sabres to have 'the best line in hockey' (and arguably at that) or is it to be a cup contender/winner?  I'll take the cup contender/winner.  

Edited by mjd1001

3 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Um What? you got that right.   A few years back?  I don't care if they were 'considered' the best line a few years back.  They aren't anymore.  Anyway, it STILL doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of cup winners (and president trophy winners) have multiple high draft picks on the team.  You keep saying you don't need it, but the facts are most of the time you actually do.  

Is the goal of the Sabres to have 'the best line in hockey' (and arguably at that) or is it to be a cup contender/winner?  I'll take the cup contender/winner.  

You still don't get it.

I haven't scrolled through all of the comments, so this may have been said already, but did anybody expect Eichel to be the captain? An injury that requires surgery/recovery as well as missing a big chunk of the season in addition to wanting to get traded. Why is this even news that can be viewed other than neutral?

3 minutes ago, mudberry said:

I haven't scrolled through all of the comments, so this may have been said already, but did anybody expect Eichel to be the captain? An injury that requires surgery/recovery as well as missing a big chunk of the season in addition to wanting to get traded. Why is this even news that can be viewed other than neutral?

I'm in more a disbelief that he is gone for good it honestly hurts that we suffered for a Franchise center and  Poof it's gone.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

You still don't get it.

Funny, I wasn't going to continue this conversation because it is YOU who just doesn't get it.

Let me try one more time:

-You make the point that you don't need high draft picks to be good, and you cite 'the best line in hockey'

-I make the point that almost every one of the Cup winners in the past decade (or more) had very high drat picks on their roster.

Your point with examples...you don't need high draft picks to have a very good line.

My point with examples...the BEST teams in hockey, the cup winners mostly HAVE high draft picks.

That is what you are saying, right?  Your example IS Boston had a line you said was the best line in hockey a few years ago and they weren't top draft picks?  And by the way, that line didn't win a cup for them in the year you cited they were good.

I guess I 'dont' get it' if you are trying to build a team with one very good line.  

But if we are talking about having a team that can win the cup...then you don't get it. I can't make it any simpler than that.

Edited by mjd1001

1 minute ago, mjd1001 said:

Funny, I wasn't going to continue this conversation because it is YOU who just doesn't get it.

Let me try one more time:

-You make the point that you don't need high draft picks to be good, and you cite 'the best line in hockey'

-I make the point that almost every one of the Cup winners in the past decade (or more) had very high drat picks on their roster.

Your point with examples...you don't need high draft picks to have a very good line.

My point with examples...the BEST teams in hockey, the cup winners mostly HAVE high draft picks.

I guess I 'dont' get it' if you are trying to build a team with one very good line

But if we are talking about having a team that can win the cup...then you don't get it. I can't make it any simpler than that.

I never said you don’t need high end draft picks to be good.

I said you don’t need to intentionally get bad in order to get them. And you certainly don’t get rid of the talent that you have in order to get them.

Let me state this one more time, good teams have high picks that help them win because, and wait for it, every team has high picks that help them win.

The last place team last year had 5 top 1 or 2 OA picks on it!

It is not the differentiating factor that makes teams good.

***** it. Enjoy your endless cycle of tanks. It’s obviously what you want.

Just now, SwampD said:

I never said you don’t need high end draft picks to be good.

I said you don’t need to intentionally get bad in order to get them. And you certainly don’t get rid of the talent that you have in order to get them.

Let me state this one more time, good teams have high picks that help them win because, and wait for it, every team has high picks that help them win.

The last place team last year had 5 top 1 or 2 OA picks on it!

It is not the differentiating factor that makes teams good.

***** it. Enjoy your endless cycle of tanks. It’s obviously what you want.

You are SO EAGER to make your point, that you started this whole thing by responding to my post without even reading what I said.

Did I ever say I wanted the team to be bad intentionally?  Nope

Show me were I did....you can't because I didn't.

All I said was that higher draft picks are a good way to build a team. Never said to lose intentionally. Never advocated another tank. Yet you responded to my original post and took things that way. 

As for you, how about YOU enjoy arguing with people by assuming they said something they didn't....and make sure you always get the last word in to make your point.  

1 minute ago, mjd1001 said:

You are SO EAGER to make your point, that you started this whole thing by responding to my post without even reading what I said.

Did I ever say I wanted the team to be bad intentionally?  Nope

Show me were I did....you can't because I didn't.

All I said was that higher draft picks are a good way to build a team. Never said to lose intentionally. Never advocated another tank. Yet you responded to my original post and took things that way. 

As for you, how about YOU enjoy arguing with people by assuming they said something they didn't....and make sure you always get the last word in to make your point.  

You kinda jumped in mid conversation so my points might not be pointed directly at you.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.