Kevyn Adams Discloses in his Presser that Eichel is No Longer the Buffalo Sabres Captain

Brawndo

32 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The question was "Is Jack Eichel still the captain of this team?"

How should he have answered it?

See my post 20 minutes prior to yours:

52 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

"I can't answer that question at this time. That decision is up to the head coach."

Pretty easy actually. 

Having said that, it's done.  Let's move forward (and I think that's the message KA intended to send).

26 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

Destroying a person so publicly

Jack is reaping what he sowed.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

The thread title now better reflects the reality of what happened at the presser.

KA had to answer a direct question concerning the captaincy.  I think he could have worded it a bit better, but he could not escape the room without giving an answer to it.  John was not going to be playing, so it is reasonable that he would not be wearing the 'C', but Mogilny temporarily wore the 'C' when Lafontaine was injured.  It did not mean that Patty was not captain.  So, I agree with @darksabre in that he could have said that since John is not playing the coaching staff will look at having another player wear the 'C', or something like that.

It's a hard situation though and I think the question could have been handled better, but I also think it's time to move on.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Indabuff said:

Maybe this spectacle is a way of alluding to the possibility that Jack's been the bad apple spoiling the bunch.

I think all along that is the underlying message from the Sabres.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Strange considering Granato heaped praise on Eichel as a captain and leader. 

I would expect nothing less from the coaches.  It's KA that is sending the other message.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I think all along that is the underlying message from the Sabres.

I would expect nothing less from the coaches.  It's KA that is sending the other message.

What other message is KA sending? I haven’t heard him say Eichel wasn’t a good captain and leader. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

What other message is KA sending? I haven’t heard him say Eichel wasn’t a good captain and leader. 

He would never actually say any of that stuff.  It is the unsaid stuff and how the said stuff is worded that seems to indicate that John was a big part of the problems here.

• Like (+1) 1

Cozens will likely be the captain in another year. He showed more heart in 3 weeks than Jack did the whole time. Jack is a great player but there is something very wrong. Similar to Aaron Rogers. He’s toxic. I don’t mind KA sending a clear message. It had to be done. This is unfortunate but we have to cut our losses and start over. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Is that what you think he should have said to best represent the Sabres, or the type of reply you want to hear as a fan, or both?

Not a rhetorical question, I'm actually curious.

That's the best way to represent the Sabres in a very difficult situation. 

He already disclosed that Jack was not going to have the ACDF as recommended by the medical staff. 

Answering with My Suggested Response covers that 

27 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

Today's PC demonstrates that Adams is focused on winning a battle but has lost sight of winning the war.  

For surface thinkers, Eichel is the battle.  Having a playoff level hockey team is the war.  

You don't win the war by trading Eichel for a ROR return. I don't think you actually understand how to win the war as you put it. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

Unprofessional? Jack Eichel's post-season presser was the most unprofessional interview I've seen from a Captain. "My number one interest is Jack Eichel" , to paraphrase. The moment he said that I wanted the captaincy removed from him. 

It's also funny how whenever we get bland, non-answers from the GM, every complains how they never say anything and now that he directly answers a question every complains it's unprofessional? 

I liked the answer, wish we saw more of that.

It's rather unrealistic for him not to address it with the media obviously going to want that. Personally stating the obvious is not unprofessional and at the very least the Eichel camp hasn't been any more professional. Telling it like it is in this circumstance was fine with me. KA critics would not agree however he answered n my opinion. I'm neither pro or anti KA. Still haven't reached a strong opinion on him but find absolutely nothing wrong with the way he addressed this.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Radar said:

It's rather unrealistic for him not to address it with the media obviously going to want that. Personally stating the obvious is not unprofessional and at the very least the Eichel camp hasn't been any more professional. Telling it like it is in this circumstance was fine with me. KA critics would not agree however he answered n my opinion. I'm neither pro or anti KA. Still haven't reached a strong opinion on him but find absolutely nothing wrong with the way he addressed this.

And every single person here knew the question would come up, so Adams definitely knew it too.

He said what he wanted to say.  Again, am quite certain he went begrudgingly in the Eichel-centric direction last off season & now is more than fine with moving on from Jack.  The one item remaining to be seen is how to maximize the return on what they get for him.  Don't see where today's answer helps in that effort.  It likely doesn't hurt it, but if it raises additional questions about Jack in the minds of other GMs, then it does.

He's had months to get ready for that question today, the "non-answer" about him not passing the physical & they'll figure out who to give letters to while he's away was the right answer.  Who cares that that answer gets Harrington's panties in a wad.  The response that that is "it's already been answered, do you have a question about the players that are here & passed their physical, if not, next up."

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Is that what you think he should have said to best represent the Sabres, or the type of reply you want to hear as a fan, or both?

Not a rhetorical question, I'm actually curious.

I think that type of reply would have drawn less negative attention.  Feels like it would have been a little better for the organization, more tactful, but maybe it doesn’t really even matter.

As a fan?  Like which answer brings me more joy?  Is parading the player out and publicly tearing the C from his sweater on the table?

1 hour ago, SabresVet said:

Destroying a person so publicly will have repercussions for this organization.  This isn't as visible now, but I'll remember this day when players choose to hit UFA and/or don't re-sign here.

I fail to see how this PR attempt to beat up their now former captain helps them in the long run.  Seems like Adams is focused on only this situation with Eichel regardless of the impact it has later.  And a GM has to be focused on the big picture, which Adams clearly isn't concerned with. 

I don’t agree.

This situation with Eichel is so unique, I don’t think other guys will relate to it.

I don’t think this has really been that much of a PR beat up, or public destruction of Eichel.

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.